Build ideas for the 2014 Group Builds.

C

CDW

Ian ... A granite stone henge is cheating ... :smiling3: :smiling3: ... Plus I can be geeky and say that its not a henge anyway so we need to rename it.

I also like the idea of a valentine, do they do one in 72nd scale, I fancy a change:smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I like your thinking with the Valentine tank idea - Valentine - 14th Feb - 2014. Very lateral. My area of interest is with the British Airborne Forces but Arnhem and D-day covers them. Also with Maritime Patrol Aircraft, again this doesn't add variety from the aircraft theme of the S.I.G build. Maybe we need to move some of the ideas we around a bit to lend more appeal to the S.I.G?

P

Polux

Good morning Ian!

when the moment arrives...how many suggestions of them we can vote?

We need only six? Two builds for quarter, not?

Thanks

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then i'll tack the Valentine onto the SIG calender and see how we go.

The idea is that you could suggest a SIG at any time. The problem is it didn't really work out to well...

Polux; Four plus four. Four GB four theme.

I'm looking at the lists and have a suggestion for a couple to move over to the SIG bit.

Those I consider the best to move, which would give people more time to really go all out with are.....

The 1/72 challenge. This would open it up so that you could do a nice full diorama and still have some eyes left.

Also the Desert war thing...

Ian M

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CDW

Yep. Those two make sense to me .. Nice amount of time to get a good diorama together if you wanted.

First Name
Richard
Morning all,

I am not sure were to vote or were to sign for ideas on a GB but as a Dutchman I would like to see a Operation Market Garden (70 year Anniversary) Diorama build.

Really cool would be building it of a real picture.

For instance there are 3 pictures and u could choose 1 of theme and then build it.

Just my thought.

Cheers Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Morning all,I am not sure were to vote or were to sign for ideas on a GB but as a Dutchman I would like to see a Operation Market Garden (70 year Anniversary) Diorama build.

Really cool would be building it of a real picture.

For instance there are 3 pictures and u could choose 1 of theme and then build it.

Just my thought.

Cheers Richard
Erm Hej Richard. I am the last person that wants to tell a Dutchman about their own history and forgive me if I am wrong and Please clarify where I went wrong: Wasn't market Garden a part of The Arnhem Raids/the Battle of Arnhem?

We have a Super SIG in the planning for The Battle of Arnhem, so could that not cover market Garden....

Now I'm confused.

Ian M

C

CDW

The BBC history site states the title of Montgomerys plan

'' The battle of Arnhem (Operation Market garden)"

I always thought they were separate as ''market garden'' was to take place basically miles down the road from Arnhem.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
See Colin. I always thought that Market garden was a part of the Battle for Arnhem. As It turns out, are one and the same thing.

Ian M

C

CDW

Well there you go ... We've learnt something new eh :smiling3:

And its just widened the scope for the build too :smiling3:

P

Polux

Just a question....

On the D-Day theme, we can do a different parts of it, too?

Like "Operation Tonga / Brigde Pegasus"?

If I'm correct with the history!!

First Name
Richard
Hi guys, well didn’t remember everything but I knew there were 2 Battles at Arnhem.

probable more but these 2 were the most significant ones.

First 1 was Market Garden to secure the bridges.

Second one is the liberation of Arnhem.

That’s what I knew and here is what I looked up at wiki short version.

In World War II, during Operation Market Garden (September 1944), the British 1st Airborne Division and the Polish 1st Independent Parachute Brigade were given the task of securing the bridge at Arnhem. The units were parachuted and glider-landed into the area on 17 September and later. The bulk of the force was dropped rather far from the bridge and never met their objective. A small force of British 1st Airborne managed to make their way as far as the bridge but was unable to secure both sides. The Allied troops encountered stiff resistance from the German 9th and 10th SS Panzer divisions, which had been stationed in and around the city. The British force at the bridge eventually ran out of ammunition and were captured on 21 September, and a full withdrawal of the remaining forces was made on 26 September.

A second battle of Arnhem took place in April 1945 when the city was liberated by the British 49th (West Riding) Infantry Division of the First Canadian Army.

So that’s why I sad Operation Market Garden sorry for the confusion.

Hope this clarifies it

Cheers Richard

P

Polux

I don't know you guys....

but I feel, personally, afraid to "show/build/do" all this on a diorama :rolleyes:

Of course, is possible :smiling3:

First Name
Richard
\ said:
The BBC history site states the title of Montgomerys plan'' The battle of Arnhem (Operation Market garden)"

I always thought they were separate as ''market garden'' was to take place basically miles down the road from Arnhem.
Hi Colin,

as a matter a fact Operation Market Garden were 2 different operation put together

Market: airborne forces

Garden: ground forces

Cheers Richard

First Name
Richard
Sorry guys;) should i delete it??o_Oo_Oo_O

We want to build dont we

Cheers Richard

P

Polux

Can I ask Richard, if you want to join to the Super SIG? and if you have some idea for the diorama yet?

Think will be very a complex builds.... just hope the people want to talk about them and share ideas and worries.

P

Polux

Mmmm....difficult.

The first one is genial. Weathering, great tank, the signals are an important touch.....

The second I like the "streetcar". I suppose is impossible to find it as a kit, so scrath build....

The third is the most habitual.... a tank, a building and a little jeep.

The last one.... personally don't like it so much.... the buildings seems boring and many soldiers with the same poses...

Great photos!!