Calling all gardeners - stopping weeds forever.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Ian.

We're seeing nothing but rain here at the moment which has put a dampener :rolling: on any garden activities I had planned anyway.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
The only way to permanently eradicate weeds in my opinion is to remove all the old soil and replace. I bought a place that had a massive weed problem. Took advice from a professional and his advice was to replace the soil. THEN put a membrane over and cover with gravel. It worked.
However, you still won't stop airborne delivered seeds/spores from dropping on your new surface. But that can be removed mechanically, (hoe) or chemically. For that I use 'root blaster'!! (Worked for me).
PS, Round Up and other chemicals using glyphosate herbicides, are scheduled to be banned from 2025!!!!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There used to be a pre-emergence weedkiller that killed them as soon as they germinated, but it was taken off the market as too dangerous. As JR said, most weeds come from airborne seeds anyway, so I don't think you can do anything except try to keep on top of them. A flame gun helps... (surprised JR didn't suggest that!)
Pete
Pete , who me ?

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
The only way to permanently eradicate weeds in my opinion is to remove all the old soil and replace. I bought a place that had a massive weed problem. Took advice from a professional and his advice was to replace the soil. THEN put a membrane over and cover with gravel. It worked.
However, you still won't stop airborne delivered seeds/spores from dropping on your new surface. But that can be removed mechanically, (hoe) or chemically. For that I use 'root blaster'!! (Worked for me).
PS, Round Up and other chemicals using glyphosate herbicides, are scheduled to be banned from 2025!!!!
Glysophate has been banned in Guernsey since December!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'm a bit of a gardener, the chap I used to work with definitely wasn't. His answer to any gardening issue was concrete.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm not a gardener Colin, I follow in my dad's footsteps. He would have been quite happy with green concrete, or maybe this plastic grass that seems to be taking over.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ivy seems to conquer weeds. I've been letting it take over the front lawn for the past few years & have cut down my mowing by a third.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
I'm not a gardener Colin, I follow in my dad's footsteps. He would have been quite happy with green concrete, or maybe this plastic grass that seems to be taking over.
My sister has plastic grass so she wouldn't have to cut the grass anymore, ironically she now washes and hovers it (vacuums it) as its not biological nothing degrades on it!!! Bird droppings and the like
seems like a step forward to me!

• Sad
Reactions: JR

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm a bit of a gardener, the chap I used to work with definitely wasn't. His answer to any gardening issue was concrete.
We used to have a not so lovely concrete back patio, now long gone. The weeds had overcome it. I imagine it had taken decades, but they won.

• Sad

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My sister has plastic grass so she wouldn't have to cut the grass anymore, ironically she now washes and hovers it (vacuums it) as its not biological nothing degrades on it!!! Bird droppings and the like
We used to have a not so lovely concrete back patio, now long gone. The weeds had overcome it. I imagine it had taken decades, but they won.
Oh how could you both think that :loudly-crying: would like to see what a group of Starlings think to the plastic lawn when they are looking for leather jackets ! It's nearly as bad as not liking Marmite ! :smiling3:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
One of the problems with plastic grass is in relation to the way it wears and children playing on it. If children play on it (rolling around etc) there is the possibility ov them inhaling the very small particles of plastic the break off the matting. The long term effect is not yet known but I would not have artificial grass and young children.

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Does anybody have a problem with a weed called horsetail, or marestail? The problem with this weed is that it is very deep rooted and the leaves are thin and waxy so any weedkiller just runs off before doing sny good.

i have found a solution - don't laugh as you read it.

you need a systemic weedkiller such as glysophate and mix up a solution as per the instructions. Then using this solution, add it to wallpaper paste to make a paste solution, which is then applied to the horsetail using a paintbrush, (i hold a small bit of plywood behind the horsetail to make 'painting it' easier.

being a past it sticks to the horsetail allowing the weedkiller to be absorbed into the plant and down to its roots.

unfortunately for me glysophate is not legal in Guernsey so I have to experiment with non-glysophate which I doubt will be as good.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
So yer tellin' us that as soon as the powers that be, found out that glysophate chemicals work on weeds, it was banned? Sounds a little counter productive if you ask me. In the U.S. all the Blue states ban everything except your Grandmothers Knickers and the Red states allow it, but it is so watered down and it costs a fortune to buy it that it is insane....example: just purchased a 2 gallon jug of Roundup concentrate. $129.00 USD. Oh, forgot to mention 50 percent of the product is inert fillers, emulsifiers, etc. When I was a youngster I remember mixing up 2-4-D concentrate....the mix ratio was 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water.......todays mix ratio is 3 to 4 ounces of concentrate to a Gallon of water.......Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :thinking:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
unfortunately for me glysophate is not legal in Guernsey s
Why is that?

Organisations like the US Environmental Protection Agency, European Chemicals Agency, Canadian Pest Management Regulatory Agency, European Food Safety Authority, the Joint Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization (FAO/WHO), and the German Federal Institute for Occupational Safety and Health all state that it does not pose a risk to humans. Is it a concern for wildlife?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
So yer tellin' us that as soon as the powers that be, found out that glysophate chemicals work on weeds, it was banned? Sounds a little counter productive if you ask me. In the U.S. all the Blue states ban everything except your Grandmothers Knickers and the Red states allow it, but it is so watered down and it costs a fortune to buy it that it is insane....example: just purchased a 2 gallon jug of Roundup concentrate. $129.00 USD. Oh, forgot to mention 50 percent of the product is inert fillers, emulsifiers, etc. When I was a youngster I remember mixing up 2-4-D concentrate....the mix ratio was 1 tablespoon to a gallon of water.......todays mix ratio is 3 to 4 ounces of concentrate to a Gallon of water.......Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :thinking:
Some of that is so the manufacturers make more money…..less active ingredient means more sales to get the same effect…..chocolate bar manufacturers have had that market cornered for years…..

Glyphosate issues arise from how it’s formulated for use. The raw chemical was tested in isolation, and was found to be pretty much non toxic and have little environmental impact. The trouble is, it is then added to various other chemicals to generate the required delivery effect, and that’s when the trouble starts. The various chemical combinations and contaminants arising from manufacture haven’t been properly tested, and can cause some extremely nasty problems, including toxicity to aquatic life forms and reduction in biodiversity. It also has persistent links to some types of cancer. The problem is that though short term impacts are relatively minor, it has a high LD50 value for example, long term impacts are not particularly well known.

All of this has been exacerbated by the manufacturers using lawyers to intimidate release of independent scientific studies rather than to use reputable independent scientific studies to refute the findings. Very much repeating the tobacco companies playbooks of the sixties and seventies to muddy the waters around health impacts so they can continue to push their product independent of consequences.

There also seems to be little correlation between US and European safety standards regarding safe exposure limits. This, in itself, points to insufficient scientific data being available to support these limits.

Lastly, there are more and more weed species becoming resistant to glyphosate, so its day is probably close to being done anyway…very like the overuse of antibiotics bringing in the era of superbugs.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
So the answer is to rip of the consumer to pay for all the industrial waste created while producing products that are no longer effective for their intended purpose......sounds logical to me :thumb2:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Why is that?

Organisations like the US Environmental Protection Agency, European Chemicals Agency, Canadian Pest Management Regulatory Agency, European Food Safety Authority, the Joint Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization (FAO/WHO), and the German Federal Institute for Occupational Safety and Health all state that it does not pose a risk to humans. Is it a concern for wildlife?
A mixture of the two - concerns about human safety and wildlife safety. An additional complication is that all of Guernsey's drinking water supply is from rainwater, via surface run-off into streams and to the reservoirs, and there were concerns about it in the water. Very oddly, commercial use by trained and certified people can still use it so the ban affects home use mostly.

as Tim said, at the moment there is a real mixture of evidence for and against the product.

peter