Calling all gardeners - stopping weeds forever.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul.

The idea was to basically kill anything in the soil before covering it over but I think that got lost along the course of this thread.

But thanks for the resurrection as it has reminded me to post some pictures

Before, showing the new fence in place and the weeds that had appeared where the original hedge was

IMG-20230821-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20230821-WA0001.jpg

I'm the one without the hat :smiling5:

Then after chopping & digging that lot out it got a good soaking with 2 types of weedkiller, Roundup as suggested by a few here, and Gallup that my groundsman mate got me, spaced over a couple of weeks.

The area was then covered by 2 layers of weed membrane and 2 bulk bags of 20mm pea shingle.

Fresh from the bag it looked a bit bland but once the rain had washed the dust off it gained a nice variety of colours.

PXL_20230821_123300824.jpg

PXL_20230821_123322311.jpg

I've since bedded a few paving slabs into the gravel that mum can sit pots onto, and levelled it a bit more.
Hopefully weeding will be minimal now, maybe just popping up around the edges and the odd wind blow critter.

Thanks to all that contributed and gave advice.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looks good Andy. If you're ever at a loose end near Rugby... ;)
Pete

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I hate gardening with a passion Pete so I'll be at the back of the volunteer queue I'm afraid lol

Mum still hasn't fully recovered after breaking her shoulder a year ago so I'm trying to keep on top of things even though I don't know what I'm doing, and aiming to reduce maintenance for her where I can.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
If anyone knows a method of eradicating ivy I’d be grateful!!! Hate the thing. Think you’ve removed it, including roots and - bang! It’s back.
Persistence is the answer with most weeds. I've managed to eradicate a big established area of bindweed in the past, and Japanese knotweed, too. You just have to accept it'll take a few seasons and console yourself that removing biomass (roots and/or top growth) weakens the plant. It won't go completely straight away, but it will get successively weaker - until you eventually win!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Depends on the type of ivy. Some are stronger than others. I've had one type drive other types to extinction. All are susceptible to broad leaf systemic weed killers in my experience.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
That looks very tidy and maintainable…..well done Andy :thumb2:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Andy, that looks a job well done, take a bow.... now our front garden........

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well done Andy. (And the lady in the hat!)
A great result,,,,, :thumb2: