Castle Diorama - Lizard enclousre

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Mike, Tim has explained it as clear as can be on the process. I might add that for the size of those rocks and the life size of the lizards I'd use one inch to two inch brushes for the dry brushing. I realise that this isn't really miniature until you work on the castle.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Mike
So... I added some shades to rocks at random - in total I have 4 different greys and black. Black wash around lava river is still to be done - I will use the technique you guys suggested: wet the rocks, add a bit of black paint and then spread it around.
IMG_20220505_204332.jpgIMG_20220505_204423.jpg
Also I tested adding more texture to one of the rocks and it made a massive difference. The type of texture is wrong (as it was a quick test with aluminum foil) but it behaves exactly as on the tutorials when being painted - the conclusion is that the large flat surfaces are making it looking weird. I think I got wrong the ratio between the model and rock sizes. I would make them roughly half the size If I were to start from scratch. I am going to have to take a hit on this aspect. I will add some other elements and then reevaluate if the rocks need to to be redone.
IMG_20220505_203730.jpg
Next step is test casting of stone blocks and lava river. I think I have the blocks covered (everything is easy until you actually try to do it...) - I am looking for this style to get a nice contrast with the rocks:

1651781199516.png

Blocks will be casted with hard casting plaster with addition of buff powder pigment then weathered with sand and powder pigment (probably black and burnt ochre). Can I use acrylic paint instead of buff powder pigment (added to the plaster before casting)? I am also afraid buff will have to much red tint but we will see.

Now with the lava river I would really appreaciete some more help. The plan is to have programmable LED's iluminating it from below (electronics I can cover easily). I have matt perspex installed already:
IMG_20220505_211739.jpg
Next I would like to use some base layer about 5mm thick. It should diffuse the light outside of the perspex but not cause too much of a loss to the intensity. On top of it I will put red glass chippings for textrue and color. Then I would like to cover it with epoxy resin.
I was thinking about using acrylic structural gel from The Range for the base but I have no idea if it will be suitable. I do not even know if it cures transparent or translucent. Other ideas were silicone and hot glue. Hot glue is roughly the transparency I think I should use but applying it to such a big area in relatively uniform manner is not an easy task. I could also mix the resin with someting that would make it translucent. The resin itself should probably be not self leveling as I think the bumps from glass chippings will look much better than flat surface. Would it be possible to just use the structural gel? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Michal

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not sure about your last questions regarding the lava river I’m afraid. It’s not anything I’ve done before. However, you can certainly use paint in with the plaster to colour it. If you use dental plaster you will get sharper (and stronger) results as well. I would certainly weather with paint. Pigment could migrate to the lizard and cause toxicity issues.
Considering the use you want to put this to though, I would think seriously about the toxicity of some of the things you have suggested for the lava. Silicon sealer gives off acetic acid vapour as it dries, and I’m not sure if this will continue long after it has set. It’s not an issue for humans, but lizards are smaller, so will have a far lower tolerance. They will also be closer to the surface gassing this stuff off. Hot glue may be better, but I really don‘t know enough about it.

First Name
Mike
Thank you Tim for the reply.
In regards to the silicone I am using one that is used for aquariums for all applications requiring adhesives - this is widely used practice in the reptile hobby. In general if it is safe for fish it is safe for reptiles as water would work as transfer medium and fish are way more delicate. On the pigments - all parts made of plaster have to be sealed with transparent PVA glue that is approved for children use.
The problem with the lava river is I have absolutly no experience with the materials required (apart from resins in structural applications) as well. The plan for the lava river is as follows:
1651851694539.png

River is 0.8m long, 0.1m wide on avarage and 0.025m deep. This gives a rough volume of 2l. Half of that would be glass chips.
IMG_20220506_170259.jpg

Looking at the photo it would be probably sufficient to just cover it with tinted epoxy, but would be great to hear from someone with experience in this field.
In regards to stone blocks I casted the first batch yesterday with 20:1 plaster to buff powder pigment. They seem a bit to white (a bit less in reality than on the photo) so I would need to half the ratio on next pour. Also corners are missing on some of them. I also need to try the next batch with ivory paint.
@Tim Marlow could you please point me to more information on how to weather them with acrylic paint? Would save me buying powdered pigments for weathering.

IMG_20220506_072833.jpg

First Name
Mike
Also I think I found the missing step on the big flat rock surfaces - once the grout is applied let it dry for 10 minutes or so and then add texture by carving with a sharp screwdriver or small metal brush. too late for me but mabe it will help someone.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Weathering something like this with acrylic paint I would again pre wet the surface, and then “spot” the areas with very dilute paint (coloured water really) to tint the area. I would use several colours and overlap the spots to allow them to diffuse into each other and avoid hard colour transitions. Build up the effect slowly over several sessions. Make up the dilute paint in one container and transfer it to another one for use. This should avoid you inadvertently transferring lumps of unmixed paint and spoiling the effect.
Best hint I can give about actual colours to use is to look at a picture of real rocks (that show the effect you are trying to achieve) and just copy what you see.

First Name
Mike
Progress update. I casted quite a few blocks and sills, added black wash around lava river (as outlined by Tim - thank you), painted lava river base and constructed the tunnel in tower gate.
Couple of comments:
  1. Budget constrains are starting to be an issue. The tunnel wieghts 200g which is quite scary if one takes into account it is probably just 0.5% of the whole castle. Lava river is going to be very expensive - probably about 30GBP.
  2. When constructing the tunnel I should have used a mesh before applying grout to the top (like in reinforced concrete) - it breaks easily in tension. There are bigger gaps visible in the areas where it broke. Also it would make it 25% lighter as much less grout can be used.
  3. For the tunnel I positioned the blocks with biggest face out which was probably not such a good idea as they are the same height now and too uniform.
  4. The gaps between blocks were pointed using grout using the same techinque as when tiling.
  5. The blocks have too much red tint comparing to the reference I have shown before. I used 20:4 mix plaster to buff. I should probably stick to the range 20:1-20:2 and add a bit of black paint. I will also try casting with ivory acrylic paint instead.
Next steps:
  1. Weather the tunnel stone blocks. Not sure what colours to use and in what order. Any suggestions?
  2. Cast some grey stones to pave the tunnel. A casting trial with grout is in order but I am afriad the texture will not be visible.
  3. Cut the tunel length to cardboard template face as it sticks out. This is quite a challege as it is easy to push the blocks out. I think rotary tool will be the best bet.
  4. Start building the front face of the central tower. The plan is to use bigger stones cut from sills on the bottom, corners and around the tunnel entrance and then fill with the small ones.
@rtfoe
What have you used for as water in the waterfall diorama you used as example for rock painting?

As always any constuctive criticism will be much appreaciated.
IMG_20220514_082406.jpgIMG_20220514_082417.jpgIMG_20220514_082446.jpg

IMG_20220514_103324.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The painted lava flow looks good. I used a two part clear resin and hardener...the slow curing kind that takes about 24 hours to cure. The long curing process gives you a longer work time and lets all bubbles rise to the surface to be burst with a lighter or incense sticks. The resin mixture alone will leave a glass finish...ripples are done using Modge Podge.
There are some videos on youtube that show you how to work with resin.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Mike
Just a quick photo update. I had to rebuild it three times as it has been to distorted. For the rest I am going to use lego bricks knockoff to get the angles right. Also the resin should be coming on the weekend so the lava river should finally progress.

IMG_20220609_200206.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Glad you are still going with this Mike. Tower is looking really good.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Tower looks good. No matter what always work with a Set Square. Saves getting wrong angles and time.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Mike
Another update. Ground floor walls finished:
IMG_20220625_062347.jpg

First floor in progress:
IMG_20220625_062120.jpg

Using toy bricks speeds up building at least three times. And the effect is much better. I used a whole kilo of the casting plaster already and I thought I have enough for the whole build...
Any ideas how to add texture where I cut the big corner stones? It is not a trgedy but could do with an improvement:

IMG_20220625_071639.jpg

Lava river still pending as they sent me wrong ink color...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Mike

Sorry got very behind on this. That's coming on very nicely despite the problems you've had.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s looking splendid Mike. For texturing I would suggest something like a round burr in a modellers hand drill?
28FE11AA-8662-4CC7-B7FF-F85FC423AADC.jpeg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I would use both techniques suggested...burr the texture and fill the seam and stipple until it blends with the rest of the surface.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Mike
Just a quick photo update. Not much progress. Hopefully I will manage to strart the battlements, do finishing touches on the rocks at the base and front windows over the weekend.
IMG_20220630_191631.jpg

First Name
Hong
Hi Mike
Just a quick photo update. Not much progress. Hopefully I will manage to strart the battlements, do finishing touches on the rocks at the base and front windows over the weekend.
View attachment 456703
It's coming up really well. The base of the tower would need to blend in with the rock works. I'm sure you have thought of that.

First Name
Mike
Thank you both. Yes - it looks pretty awful at the moment (even worse than on the photo) but it should not be difficult to fix. I will try extending existing rocks. Should not be too difiicult.