Chieftain Tank in Berlin Brigade Cammo....Berlin 1980's

M

mobear

i use hard brushes for dry brushing flat brushes for edging and nail brushes for most of the other work as they can take a bit of stick,plus they are mostly sable brushes,belle that i done was all hand painted with a brush but lancy bottom was AB as i had to try it out

mobear

P

phalinmegob

only just seen this ron,looks awsome mate,love the runny mortar on the berlin wall,may borrow that idea off you for something i have in mind soon.the camouflage looks splendid, its nice to see something a little different from the mormal camo's. i recently tried to imitate your style on a bit of polystyrene i nicked from work but it didnt look right, the balls of poly that made up the sheet were too big and just didnt look right so i am gonna have to start eating pizza's.do you pva or primeover the top of the poly or just paint straight on to it.

First Name
Aaron
Mhmm i just caught up with this too. Fantastic job and good on you for choosing a scheme thats not so mainstream. Very encouraging.

The base is the bees knees, I know it is all echo of the other posts but well deserved. =)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the positive posts boys, good stuff!

Andrew, as you have discovered, the polystyrene used for packing and insulation ect. is not suitable for detailed work. Fine for building lumps, bumps and even bunker walls, but that's about all.

It has to be the hard compacted stuff, that's why I find pizza bases ideal....and fun collecting.

Sorry mate you can't use my runny mortar idea, I have a patent on it!

Thanks again chaps,

Ron

P

panzer6

It's absolutely realistic diorama! This camouflage painting lovely. Nothing else to say. Just watching and watching! Very good job. Masterpiece. Regards.

A

andygh

Great dio, it captures the mood perfectly and I do love the paint scheme

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bart and Andy, thank you both for your very complimentary posts, glad you like it....

Cheers,

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Found it, sorry Ron been looking for this one mate. Seen it when i was on my phone but fat fingers stopped me commenting. Yes the Tamiya Chieftain has it's flaws but still builds into a nice model, but you've gone beyond that mate. Definitely something special to have in the collection, nice work mate and five from me too.

Have fun (as if you need telling to have fun ;) ), John

First Name
Chris
Ron you are a legend! Your work never fails to impress, amazing stuff!

Regards

Chris

B

Boldman

Ye gods! I thought that first photo was ofthe prototype not the model at first! That is some seriously brilliant painting and set building! Then again, this is Ron and his famous pizza boxes,so what can you expect but brilliance ;) I've got a chieftan in my stash and want to team it up with a scorpion in a BAOR diorama at some point in the future...

A

AJay

This is awesome, Ron. The paint scheme (and your execution of the paint job by brush!), the excellent diorama, and all the little details really bring this to life. It looks like the real deal in some the photo! Easy 5 ***** big ones.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks John, Chris, Andrew, cobra69 and Alex for you great comments on my Chieftain Tank.

Sorry for the late reply to your posts gents, but I'm playing catch up......again!

Cheers,

Ron

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
:beer: ... cheers mate ... top class work as per normal ...rgds Lindsey.

I am also very keen to see yr painting technique used ...i am a brush user (in fact i only own one brush) so anything that i can glean from other brush user's will be muchos appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lancasterb1

Just come across this, what an absolute cracker, the camo on this is spot on! Well built Ron I agree with the 5*

S

Saber

The master at work great stuff big 5 easy. :smiling3:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great comments boys, nice to see this resurrected from the archives of S.M.!!

It was a pig to paint free hand with a brush.....How you A.B. wallahs would manage such a cammo scheme with all the masking required, leaves me bog eyed with admiration!

Cheers,

Ron

S

Sky Raider

I just clocked this one now Ron. You know - a lot of time i have to look twice and then im not sure. They look so real to me and then i see the wider shots and it confirms that close up your work is stunning mate.

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andy, always good to read your posts.

I must confess to being well chuffed with the end result........Mind you, it was a bit embarrassing to be told it was The Berlin Brigade cammo and not NATO as, in my ignorance, I thought it was, and went and typed it into my intro thread!!

All part of the learning curve...

Cheers,

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Hello chaps, not much armour about at the minute, so to balance it up....A couple of weeks or so ago, I was given this Tamiya 1/35 Chieftain Mk 1/2/3/5 (take your pick!) by number 2 son for my birthday, so I wanted to do something special to it by way of a thank you...... Don't tell him about the flaws in the model, he won't know any more than I did!

I found this amazing paint job on 'tinternet, I didn't even know it existed. I just had to have a stab at it! It was first tried out by the Western Powers in 1982 during the Cold War and was in general use after that year. The painting was done 'In the field', is very sharp edged and not very fussily applied either! It is very much like the 'Dazzle' scheme found on WW1 warships (There's a challenge for the WW1 build) and was found to be very effective!?

For a suitable backdrop I had a look on the web for images of 'The Berlin Wall' and from various pictures on there I scratch built a section of that dreadful structure from a single piece of polystyrene sheet, as is the cobbled road and pavement. The detail is done with my scalpel,and a blunt pencil. The runny mortar joints were done using a bit of card and a sloppy mix of polyfilla and allowed to run down where it liked, then the whole wall was painted with cheapo children's watercolours. The barbed wire on the top of the wall is the copper wire from a bit of electric cable.

The tank is all brush painted completely free hand ( no masking tape) with Vallejo Model Colour acrylics and the details with Humbrol Enamels.

Having seen close up the tanks at Cosford, no more will I worry about the paint finish and general appearance on these monsters. Talk about rough...

Due to it only rumbling around streets and the like, I have kept the weathering to a minimum, just giving the skirts bottoms a dusty, rained on sort of look, likewise with the tracks and I did a bit of work on the exhausts. I then gave the whole model a light dusting with a bit of grey dry powder tile adhesive...Then blew on it!

As this was a pure tank painting exercise, I have omitted the crew.

I make no excuses for the numerous pictures 'cos I'm well chuffed with the result. It was by far the most difficult and complicated model painting I have ever attempted....even harder than Major Wick's Bf109 stipple, and I just want to show everyone! Sorry if that's over the top but "Aam shmokin'!!!.....

I have a few pictures of the painting stages if anyone would like a more detailed description of how I managed it. If so, I will do a quick separate 'mini' thread to compliment this one.

So here is the finished tank for your viewing. I hope you like it.....FREEDOM FOR BERLIN!

Cheer all,

Ron
NO WAY is that a model!!! you have realy captured the beauty of this kit , when I was looking for inspiration for my my build last night I actually thought this was the real thing !

absolutely fantastic