Churchill 1/35 tamiya

First Name
Robert
Hi chaps

Started this one last night as the wife let me get a kit as it was our anniversary. Well kit looks ok although I believe it's an old kit from what I have been told on here 1977 mould but seems ok. Very little flash if any but a few seam lines to clean up. Not sure how to achieve this yet but I'm told that the Churchill crews tool off the centre mudguard on the tracks ( may be fiddly but if I get the right advice I'll have a go. Think this may be a quick build. I have the metal barrel from my Cromwell and so ordered a second 75mm and I have ordered the pe upgrade set so I'll have to wait fir that to come in post.

I'll upload some pics once I get back to it tonight

I have had a lot of info passed onto me on Churchill in Normandy and so will be setting dio for it around falaise 1944.

All comments welcome

Pics to follow

Robert

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Good choice rob after our conversation yesterday I got mine out for a look and with the figures in this kit you could build a dio out of what's in the box :smiling3:

I'm on the look out for a 17pr gun barrel for mine so I can do the black panther version, there weren't many made and they discontinued them after a while :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
You will get later this afternoon after work

Patience is a virtue

Nothing virtuous here then:eek::eek::eek:

Robert

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Sorry my mistake it's called the black prince here's a pic View attachment 121730now that is some serious armour mayhem :smiling3:
The real version was wider and weighed a lot more, the road speed was killed as a result of this added weight, although another engine was considered IIRC. Should be a nice build Al.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Love it 17pdr 1 tiger or Panther 0
Nah, the Churchy was hampered by severe under powerment and weight the Tiger would just keep its distance, circle and then pump shot after shot in, eventually the Churchill would be holed or disabled enough.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Nah, the Churchy was hampered by severe under powerment and weight the Tiger would just keep its distance, circle and then pump shot after shot in, eventually the Churchill would be holed or disabled enough.
It's clear your s tiger lover ( I understand it was a great tank and armed with the 88 it was deadly

Oh talking of tigers the other Davi watched " Kelly's heroes" yes a fictitious story and good caper but was it true that every couple of hours the tiger had to be turned over for 20mins to stop the engine seizing up??

Robert

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
It's clear your s tiger lover ( I understand it was a great tank and armed with the 88 it was deadly
Oh talking of tigers the other Davi watched " Kelly's heroes" yes a fictitious story and good caper but was it true that every couple of hours the tiger had to be turned over for 20mins to stop the engine seizing up??

Robert
I think it just a Icon of WWII, something about it. Although I do like the Churchy, again there is something about it, although it did poorly in certain theatres, it was a rugged machine and could take a pounding. The Maybach engines had to be started every so often in extreme weather, Eastern front etc, as they froze; not heard of them having to warm up every 20 mins in normal conditions, although they probably would have started and let them idle for 20 mins to get warmed up and the water and oil circulating properly before moving out.

Si:smiling3:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Apparently they started a fire under the engine to "defrost" it so that it could be started. Another problem is probably because the German engines were apparently petrol engines whilst the Russians used oil burners (Diesel engines). I'm yakking under correction here...o_O

First Name
Robert
I watched a you tube video a while ago I'm not sure it was a tiger but I saw the engineer winding the starter motor up? He had a handle at the back of the engine and was winding up then his pal took over ( it looked very hard wotk ) it was nigbs wind up tank!! Was this due to the battery being flat or was this common practice like winding of some Luftwaffe engines like Me 109??yk heat the plugs of something?

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
All tigers needed a starting handle to get them going![/quote
I suppose there was no such thing as electronic ignition like on a car. I suppose tech had advanced some heh

Robert

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Was the black prince designed to take out concrete emplacements ie mg snd some pill boxes??
I wouldn't say it was designed for that purpose but it was better at taking out static defences than tanks as it didn't have the manoeuvring capability that most tanks had , a bigger engine might have worked but we did use the Sherman firefly buy then so it's was a bit redundant IMO

First Name
Robert
Poor Brits always under the bloody tank might heh, I still believe we were better at tank design than the yanks

Eg they had the Sherman fir sibling and it was noisy and undergumned (to start ) if was thinly armoured etc lit up like s firework when shot at by any enemy but the one thing they had was more of them more fuel on hand and more allied support

We had quite a few good tanks

The Valentine

The crusader

The Cromwell

The Churchill

The Matilda

Yes more development on engines and who knows the difference it would have made.

Robert

R

rememal

To do a Black Prince will need more than a 17lber barrel and a Churchill kit.

I`d say that around 90% of it would have to be scratch built as it was a fair bit bigger than a standard Churchill

First Name
Robert
View attachment 110946

Update for you. Got a few mor things done to the kit last night mainly building small bits.

This morning postie dropped off the Eduard PE set which I think will improve the Churchill.

I have got the 75mm barrel from my Cromwell set to use ( I have ordered another.

Hoping to get into the spraying tomorrow or Thursday

Here's some more pics and comments welcome.View attachment 110945

View attachment 110947

View attachment 110948

View attachment 110949

View attachment 110950

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg