Churchill 1/35 tamiya

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
To do a Black Prince will need more than a 17lber barrel and a Churchill kit.
I`d say that around 90% of it would have to be scratch built as it was a fair bit bigger than a standard Churchill
Your right Malcolm but I thought I'd shorten the barrel a little and say it's 1/38 scale I could even use a Pak 36 barrel to do that :D

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Your right Malcolm but I thought I'd shorten the barrel a little and say it's 1/38 scale I could even use a Pak 36 barrel to do that :D
Shock horror a churchie with a German gun!!!

The indignity of it !!!!'

Robert

B

Billy

\ said:
Hi chaps
Started this one last night as the wife let me get a kit as it was our anniversary. Well kit looks ok although I believe it's an old kit from what I have been told on here 1977 mould but seems ok. Very little flash if any but a few seam lines to clean up. Not sure how to achieve this yet but I'm told that the Churchill crews tool off the centre mudguard on the tracks ( may be fiddly but if I get the right advice I'll have a go. Think this may be a quick build. I have the metal barrel from my Cromwell and so ordered a second 75mm and I have ordered the pe upgrade set so I'll have to wait fir that to come in post.

I'll upload some pics once I get back to it tonight

I have had a lot of info passed onto me on Churchill in Normandy and so will be setting dio for it around falaise 1944.

All comments welcome

Pics to follow

Robert
Why did they take the middle mudguard off for?

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Why did they take the middle mudguard off for?
It was to ease maintenance as in battle if the mudguard got hit the turret could not rotate so this section was taken off by some tankers

Robert

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Looks like a good start to me matey.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start on this one,Robert :D

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent start Robert! nice to see you doing a conversion. Your interest in historical accuracy is impressive, something I will be paying more attention to in the future, unless I wake up one day and go on a "Bash Binge" :rolleyes:............Following your work....Jim.. :smiling3:

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
It's clear your s tiger lover ( I understand it was a great tank and armed with the 88 it was deadly
Oh talking of tigers the other Davi watched " Kelly's heroes" yes a fictitious story and good caper but was it true that every couple of hours the tiger had to be turned over for 20mins to stop the engine seizing up??

Robert
The "tiger" on kellys heroes was actually a T34 chassis with a fake tiger built on it.View attachment 111003

I'm pretty sure fury is the first post war movie with an actual tiger.
unnamed (4).jpg

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Excellent start Robert! nice to see you doing a conversion. Your interest in historical accuracy is impressive, something I will be paying more attention to in the future, unless I wake up one day and go on a "Bash Binge" :rolleyes:............Following your work....Jim.. :smiling3:
Thanks for your comment Jim but it all started with Malcolm giving a suggestion on the mudguard, so I need to take the Churchill into the operating theatre ( now where's my nurse with my new no 10 scalpel!!!

Robert

First Name
Robert
Update

Surgery over and the first cut was the deepest ( used the Dremel to take out the centre mudguards of the Churchill. Still a bit of tidying up to do be I wanted to make the Churchill special.

It was my first op with changing the face of a kit but don't think I did too bad.

Test fitted the track and it looks like it will stand out.

I may need to put some plastic card in the interior so to help the daylight getting through

Enjoy and comments welcome

Robert View attachment 111058

View attachment 111059

View attachment 111065

View attachment 111068

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

R

rememal

Don`t forget to sand down the mounting strip and bolt on the hull side an drill holes where the bolts screwed in.

Or the filler piece to the inside of the tracks.

Nice work, I hope I`m not telling you how to suck eggs, Robert.

First Name
Robert
No I love a critic

I have too I marked one !!!!

Really though it's great to have you on board for this as I do like military advice. I don't want to stumble and make a hash of it ( oh the model? Thought o was talking the wife still!!!!

Any help Malcolm is greatly received

Regards

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Don`t forget to sand down the mounting strip and bolt on the hull side an drill holes where the bolts screwed in.
Or the filler piece to the inside of the tracks.

Nice work, I hope I`m not telling you how to suck eggs, Robert.[/quote

How much you want for your spare Churchill track ??

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Nice bit of hacking away there Robert!
The hard part is the building of the cover interior, got a few strips of plastic card but need to make it tidy so the turret still sits flush and not obstructing track ( want a tidy finish as we all do. More pics to follow, rustic up tracks tonight ( oh and have a wee surprise on this build ( once it arrives )

Robert

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Only cost the price of a stamp, so nothing.
Thankyou very much Malcolm I'm doing this to be worthy of this site ( did I tell you this is my first armour tank build as I normally do aircraft normally. This site has given me the dedicatin to try this and it won't be my last as I have two more tanks after this ( Cromwell and a centaur

Robert

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very brave hacking out, nice work so far Robert. I give you permission to take a breather and have a cuppa...just don't take all day as we need to see more :D

First Name
Robert
Thanks Si mines a tea white with 2 sweeteners

Any chance of a digestive??

Robert