Churchill Mk. IV AVRE with Small Box Girder Assault Bridge Mk. II

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And it’s attached!

IMG_9943.jpeg

However, I’m not calling it done yet because I’m still waiting for a figure I’ve ordered to put on it, so when that’s arrived, I will continue. Also, my photo studio is too small for this thing …

IMG_9944.jpeg

I guess I will have to find another way to take “end” photos of it with a neutral background, once the figure has been added.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thank you, thank you :smiling3:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Sorry but you have the shackle for the main cable the wrong way round - just kidding.
What a fantastic build, narrative throughout and explanations that followed your every move. This has got to be your best build so far.
A big well done and an even bigger credit to you.
Going to have to go some to beat this.
Mike.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That will win awards @Jakko! Although no idea how you would transport it further than the room you are in!
Transport.
In a box and lined with big bath sponges to support the bridge and stop any movement without damaging the model.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That will win awards @Jakko!
Nah :smiling3: Not just because I don’t go to model competitions, either.

Although no idea how you would transport it further than the room you are in!
I had been thinking about that too, especially because I have to get it down one of these:

vlizotrap-lws-280-cm-hoogte-bak-14-cm-hoog.jpg

But I’ll manage :smiling3: The good thing is that it’s well-balanced with that 100 g of lead in the back, so there’s no more danger of it tipping over than with any other model. The size is the main issue in getting it anywhere safely, and the fact that you have to be careful picking it up, of course, because there’s fragile detail everywhere and the bridge hinges on relatively thin bits so you most definitely can’t hold it by that.

Sorry but you have the shackle for the main cable the wrong way round - just kidding.
:smiling3:

You know what’s funny there? I wanted to put the last shackle the other way round than it ended up, but it can’t fit through the eye on the block that way …

What a fantastic build, narrative throughout and explanations that followed your every move. This has got to be your best build so far.
A big well done and an even bigger credit to you.
Thank you :smiling3: All that’s left to do is ruin it with a poorly painted figure, then …

Going to have to go some to beat this.
Centurion AVLB > Churchill AVRE+SBG :smiling3:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Nah :smiling3: Not just because I don’t go to model competitions, either.

I had been thinking about that too, especially because I have to get it down one of these:

View attachment 486987

But I’ll manage :smiling3: The good thing is that it’s well-balanced with that 100 g of lead in the back, so there’s no more danger of it tipping over than with any other model. The size is the main issue in getting it anywhere safely, and the fact that you have to be careful picking it up, of course, because there’s fragile detail everywhere and the bridge hinges on relatively thin bits so you most definitely can’t hold it by that.

:smiling3:

You know what’s funny there? I wanted to put the last shackle the other way round than it ended up, but it can’t fit through the eye on the block that way …

Thank you :smiling3: All that’s left to do is ruin it with a poorly painted figure, then …

Centurion AVLB > Churchill AVRE+SBG :smiling3:
Cent AVLB, got the plans etc if you want them, let me know.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Noticing that the door/ladder also blocks off the spare room that I rent out.
That at least is one issue I don’t have :smiling3:

Cent AVLB, got the plans etc if you want them, let me know.
Thanks, but I meant that your AVLB is more impressive than my AVRE :smiling3: I would like a Centurion AVLB model, but I have too much other stuff I want to build, and anyway, where would I put it? :smiling3:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Jakko this is a truly EXCEPTIONAL build, even by your high standards. I agree with Mike-your best yet.
I thoroughly enjoyed it all, especially the mountains of history you added.
I hope the committee are watching....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
TBH, I don’t think my standards are all that high :smiling3: I keep thinking that if I can do this, just about every modeller with some experience should be able to as well … Not sure if I’m underestimating myself or overestimating others, or perhaps both ;)

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Jakko, it's not a matter of under/over estimate, it's just a beautiful model built with a lot of attention and skills. :cool: :thumb2:
Hope the Committee is not on holidays!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm with the others Jakko. A great build and a great thread with lots of interesting information. It must be up there with your best.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, guys — I’m very happy with how it’s come out. It was quite a job, but most of it was enjoyable to do (and work out how to) … but I don’t think I’ll build a second one any time soon ;)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Firstly the Committee are sorry for the lateness of the award.
Great build and of course the history that you put into these is exceptional.
2020DB.jpg
Congratulations , well deserved.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I agree Jakko, the time taken to actually build the Cent and bridge was starting to become like a prison sentence, would I build another - in a word - No! And I knew if I put it aside it would never be finished.