COMPLETED - Andrew's 1/72 Monogram Messerschmitt Bf 110E-1

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all

So got this across the finish line this morning.

This is a plane from the 6th Staffel (II Gruppe) of Zerstörergeschwader 26 (ZG 26) "Horst Wessel", as seen in Russia in 1941 if the photos I've found online are to be believed. During this time Gruppe's I and II apparently served in Russia, with Gruppe III serving in the Med (not that I can now find the info I found stating this). Below are a couple of pictures of the actual plane.

On the whole I'm pleased with how it went considering it's only the 4th plane I've completed since coming back to the hobby and the 1st twin engined one.

For a 50+ year old kit it went together ok and the only real problems I encountered were of my own making (stand issues excepted). Although the cockpit is virtually bare, you can't see that from a normal viewing distance and I wasn't going to fork out on any AM parts, even if they existed. If I came across another one for a few quid, I wouldn't mind about having another go as a further practice.

A big thanks to Steve (aka Stona) for his behind the scenes input on this build.

The build thread is HERE.

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

50518509883_e7042549de_o.jpg

50518509913_24e07b78b1_o.jpg

50655331403_0fb37c7434_b.jpg

50655331423_c640a03627_b.jpg

50655331568_bcb80a6b2d_b.jpg

50656160292_6854be9872_b.jpg

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Excellent result especially as the kit was not "state of the art" to start with.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant andrew , just shows that because a kit is old doesnt mean you cant get a fantastic result , cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That is a fine result, especially as the kit is state of the ark.....very much a testament to your skill.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Andrew,

What a fantastic job on the four planes you've built. They look so realistic together!!! Love your B/W pics too. How did you get all the props to spin???

Ok, back at the ranch, we have 5 head of cattle and you Sir, have really done a fantastic job on the old Monogram kit. It brings back memories of the days gone by. Their Do. 17 was a great kit too. I like the camo and it turned out really well Sir. I love the antenna work the most. One to be surely proud of and deserves a place on the mantle for all to see....

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Excellent result especially as the kit was not "state of the art" to start with.
Jim
Nice job, Andrew. Well done.
Lovely job Andrew. One to be proud of.
Great build Andrew.
Top work!
That really is VERY nice indeed Andrew.
Top work!!
Andy
Brilliant andrew , just shows that because a kit is old doesnt mean you cant get a fantastic result , cheers tony
That is a fine result, especially as the kit is state of the ark.....very much a testament to your skill.
Great result Andrew :thumb2:
Wow Andrew,

What a fantastic job on the four planes you've built. They look so realistic together!!! Love your B/W pics too. How did you get all the props to spin???

Ok, back at the ranch, we have 5 head of cattle and you Sir, have really done a fantastic job on the old Monogram kit. It brings back memories of the days gone by. Their Do. 17 was a great kit too. I like the camo and it turned out really well Sir. I love the antenna work the most. One to be surely proud of and deserves a place on the mantle for all to see....

Prost
Allen
That's a really nice finish Andrew, it is a great looking aircraft.

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!

Gentleman thank you for your collective praise!! That is much appreciated and something of a surprise. With so many individual responses I hope you'll forgive me for not replying to each one......

It was a pretty enjoyable build and as always learnt a thing or two on the way.

Thank you yet again.

All the best.

Andrew

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Well done Andrew, you have certainly made a very good job of this:thumb2:
With 4 great wingy things under your belt now, we will be coming to see you for advice !!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That really turned out great Andy......I would be extremely pleased if I were in your shoes! Top work there. Rick H. :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well done Andrew, you have certainly made a very good job of this:thumb2:
With 4 great wingy things under your belt now, we will be coming to see you for advice !!
Great job Andrew :thumb2:
That really turned out great Andy......I would be extremely pleased if I were in your shoes! Top work there. Rick H. :thumb2:

Si, Joe, Rick

Thank you very much indeed for the support. It's a good job you can't where the base attaches, the problems I ran into meant I had to bodge it so it doesn't look very good. If I'd thought ahead a bit I'd have made a better effort.

Si - coming to me for modelling advice - now that's funny!! :smiling5:

Thanks again gents.

Much appreciated.

ATB

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Andrew. I built a 110 recently and quite liked the clean looks of the aircraft. It was a bit of an eye opener really.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nice Andrew. I built a 110 recently and quite liked the clean looks of the aircraft. It was a bit of an eye opener really.
Thanks Colin. Much appreciated.

I remember seeing a picture of one in a WW2 book as a child and thinking there is no doubt what that is intended for.

I really like them a lot...I have three others in the stash. All Eduard's too!!

Thanks again.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew