Computer games

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi gentlemen

I am getting on a bit but I don't mind admitting that I still enjoy the odd Computer Game. I was wondering how many of you still play?

As a teaser I recently found this game which you may recognise.

RDR 1.jpg

RDR 2.jpg

Now I have to say I have never seen a game so involved, so detailed and so engrossing as this one. On my powerful computer this is just superb. Anyone else play?

John

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Love computer games and still do.

Sorry don't recognise that one but I'm not really up on the latest ones.

Most Friday and Saturday nights Junior and I have 90 minutes or so far platooning in World of Tanks.... He sits at the breakfast bar.....I sit at my modelling table just behind him.

We occasionally for with Mario Kart on the Switch.... Even my 78 year old mother likes it!

ATB.

Andrew

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
For those who don't know this game it is Red Dead Redemption 2. Set in the western US in about 1890, your character is a member of an outlaw gang. The beauty of the game is that it is a free world style game, with a story but plenty of extras that you may or may not decide to get involved in. The world goes from the edge of the rocky mountains all the way to a sort of New Orleans, with river boats and street cars, and passing through planes, rivers gulches western towns etc etc. There are of course banks to hold up, trains to rob, stage coaches to rob, but there are also saloons where you can play poker, rival gangs to hunt down, sheriffs who try to keep some order and Pinkertons men who are trying to track down your gang.
As I said the world is so well built and engrossing even simple things like going fishing for a day or hunting deer or Bison for dinner are superbly presented. If you lliked the lone Ranger you would love this.

John

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It looks interesting John, however none of the laptops in our house have anywhere near the spec to run it....a shame as it looks very good

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I used to have a few flight sims and racer sim type things then Windows chose to drop support for all the hardware; wheel, joystick and all that.
Now Have a Wheel that works and have a couple of games.
Farm Sim and Euro truck driver.
Used to love Half-life and Far-cry.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great topic Mr, B,

I used to love playing Talon Soft's East Front and West Front games on the computer. Mouse driven, good graphics based on hexagonal board games, and real time. I still have them and all the add-on packs for them too. You could play scenarios that could take a day or two or play a campaign which could take weeks. Mid nineties and not so good on today's windows based systems....

Another was Sierra's Grand Prix Legends based on the F1 from 1965. had a wheel and loved racing my Lotus on the Nürburg Ring. all 24 kms of it. Treaded tires and lots of screeching rubber left on the track.

In 2001, I bought a U-boat game for $ 40 and upon opening it, I found it had a cheat sheet that showed that you used every key on the computer keyboard except 3 of them. Very complicated, so I did the first tutorial to learn how to drive the U-boat under water. Forwards was ok, but when I drove it backwards, I hit something, alarms went off and my U-boat sank! WTF!!!!!!!!!!.....The game went back in the box and is still there, never to be played again...........................Oh, and we won't talk about Sierra's Red Baron game.............................................

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I play World of Warcraft Classic, basically the version of that game as it was 15 years ago. Used to play normal WoW until about 2015, then quit for a combination of reasons, but when Classic was released I got back into it.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Never had the slightest interest in video games - I suppose sitting at a screen all day for work had some influence on that - the only games I did play were patience & mahjong. ( and that was at work, whilst my main computer was processing )
Dave

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I was an xbox addict for many years but refrained from buying a new one when mine packed up, I was getting to old to be sitting up till three in morning when I had work the next day!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I'm a first gen gamer, cut my teeth on a Commodore 64 and never looked back.

RDR2 is a superlative game, as are the GTA series. I'm currently playing through Fallout 4 again.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Used to play computer games quite a lot. I was heavily into the Elite (Space sim) games (now called Elite Commander on Xbox) and also played Counter Strike Source extremely heavily. So much so it nearly cost me my marriage. So now i stick to playing Farm Ville occasionally and that's it.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm firmly in the Dave Ward camp. I have absolutely no interest in games. I tried years ago when my daughter was young, but 5 minutes and I was bored stiff.
John.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
yep. i still play video games from time to time..
currently finishing off Metal Gear Solid 5...(Huge MGS fan), also have a lot of hours invested into the 'fallout series'. namely fallout 3,4 and New Vegas.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another was Sierra's Grand Prix Legends based on the F1 from 1965.
Used to thrash the hell out of that one. Way ahead of its time, all things considered.
Ghost recon was another time thief,

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Almost forgot two other classics i used to play. Settlers and Red Alert
Used to pay Red Alert too.... Also had a US Civil War one but that was really picky on the graphics card and so stopped working when I upgraded it....

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well i must admit im still a gamer,been playing LOTRO,for what 14yrs ,and still enjoy it,
have played others over the yrs as well i did have a few fav,s there is one but the name slips my mind at the moment a ww2 one
where you have to go do mission with a team of 4 or so ,real good just cannot think of the name ,i do enjoy just killing ones as well
don,t go to gail for that if having a bad day ;)
:smiling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Totally get the stress relief aspect Monica, but never been much of a shoot em up fan myself, I always went more for turn based strategy type games. Started on a C64 commodore and rapidly went to a PC. Never wanted a games console. I loved Civilisation, and also got heavily into East Front II and all its incarnations. Also played Xcom quite a lot, as well as the Football manager series. I really wanted a good Napoleonic strategy game, but never found one that suited me. I don’t play computer games much now because my PC is pretty much steam powered, but did dig out my Arkham horror LCG yesterday for the first time since initial lockdown.