Coutances (Normandy) early 1944

C

CDW

Decided to do a diorama depicting our lads patrolling the cobbled streets of a French town during 1944, it's sort of a memory for my Dad who served in WW2 and always said that Coutances was the most friendly place in the area, the locals were always coming and giving them gifts and thanking them for being there as protection. The squaddies were always caught helping out with odd jobs around the village for which they got some fresh milk, eggs and bread (always welcome) and the odd rasher or three of bacon if one of the pigs were popped off.

The dio will have a bren carrier (tamiya (european campaign)) and an accademy British M3 Stuart Honey (that my Dad said, in his droll sense of humour, came originally from some decent American chaps and just needed a lick of paint :smiling3: )

The figures will be the Tamiya infantry set and some Eastern peasants from MB, i'm using a Tamiya road sign set for extra detail.

Did a load of shufftying on t'interweb and through some old photos and books and have a good idea what i want it to end up like.

This is where i am at the moment, the houses are made from balsa & matchsticks, the base is a salvaged job from an earlier crap dio and the cobbles are made from Mung beans that have been painted and weathered.

The houses

View attachment 40227

On the base

View attachment 40228View attachment 40229

The outhouse (and in situ with some extra slabs and detailing)

View attachment 40230View attachment 40231View attachment 40232

Opinions and ideas always welcome

View attachment 44009

View attachment 44010

View attachment 44011

View attachment 44012

View attachment 44013

View attachment 44014

Photo0196.jpg

Photo0205.jpg

Photo0208.jpg

Photo0202.jpg

Photo0216.jpg

Photo0218.jpg

S

sprayman

This looks like a good looking Dio Colin, its going to be some size I think, plus it has an added benefit from the story from your dad...your doing great work here mate, will look forward to seeing it all go together...cracking stuff.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great start Colin, and a nice story too.

Good to read you are recycling your stuff as well.

I do like the little 'Bogs', if that's what they are? lol. A nice piece of detail.

Looking good,

Ron

T

tecdes

Wow Colin a lot of work in that. Thought aircraft were hard but this must take an imense lot of imagination & patience.

Those paving stones look the real part. What are they made of ?

Lovely area this only 16 miles from Jersey. Used to boat all the way up & down this coastline when I was "youngish". Really nice area & the people are as friendly as you will ever get. They look after your kids as if they are their own. Are you going to include a boulangerie o baguettes & jambon are they not lucky ?

Laurie

N

noble

Nice beginnings colin i like the houses and the cobbled street. keep up the good work.

scott

C

CDW

thanks chaps

ron. . . . . yup theyre bogs :smiling3:

laurie. . . . the slabs are balsa. all the balsa is spare bits from the prometheus and crab boat models im still workong on slowly.

just sorting the roof tiles, chimneys, a wooden fence and a washing line. more pics to follow.

anyone know what alterations were made to the m3 from US To british regarding colour and markings? (might as well get it as good as i can eh?)

P

Polux

Really nice and interesting diorama you show here!! I'm dure it will be a great one!!

You have to tell a quite story.

All the best!!

Polux

J

James Q

Great start so far, looking forward to seeing this progress. Its always nice when you have a lovely story to go with dio's, good to hear your re using old stuff.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Going to look great that is Colin, off to a good start.

Have fun, John

C

CDW

Thanks chaps :smiling3:

Come across a bit of an enigma ....

The M3 light tank in British service sometimes had no turret and was used as recconaisance or a radio command vehicle.

Had a look around for any details where these types were used and can't find anything definite.

So... question is ... would they have used the turretless model in the setting i'm depicting?? I know there was a Bren carrier there as armoured "backup" because Dad said they used to give the children "rides" on it... Sadly my Dads not around to ask ... and he never mentioned this detail in any of the few times he actually talked of this.

Anyone got an idea based on fact or pictures

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
There was one, it was called the T8 and in place of the turret a .50cal machine gun was mounted.

There is a photo of it in google images.....As far as I can see, the only fly in the ointment is it was based on the M5, later than the M3.

My post is only based on what I have read, I personally know now't about M3/5's.

Hope this is of some use.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As to which one, I don't think it really matters.....

Either variant would surely have been seen on the streets of Coutances at sometime or other. Who's to say otherwise?

Anyway, the turretless one sporting the .50cal would look good and be summat different.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Aaron
This is a great looking start to an interesting piece, i love that there is some history to it as well.

Sorry but i cant help with the bren carrier.

You have a great eye for the little details i like the toilet roof tiles. awesome

Primo Colin.

C

CDW

\ said:
As to which one, I don't think it really matters.....Either variant would surely have been seen on the streets of Coutances at sometime or other. Who's to say otherwise?
I'm sort of thinking that way to be honest Ron, and i'll be trawling the net to get some pictures to see what changes there were to alter a standard kit, thanks for the input mate, makes sense.

I've been thinking a bit "outside the box" on basic facts for a few things... For instance... Dad said the streets were lit occasionally, so i've added street lights.... he said that the villagers phoned a neighbouring town during his stay there and the radio operator was able to use morse, so i've added telegraph poles (i know telegraphy could be via radio wave but i think the telegraph poles look groovey on the dio :smiling3: ).

Anyway this is where i am at the mo ....over all shots

View attachment 40303View attachment 40305

and some details

View attachment 40300View attachment 40304View attachment 40302View attachment 40301

View attachment 44076

View attachment 44077

View attachment 44078

View attachment 44079

View attachment 44080

View attachment 44081

Photo0223.jpg

Photo0224.jpg

Photo0227.jpg

Photo0228.jpg

Photo0230.jpg

Photo0232.jpg

D

dubster72

Very nice, this is really coming together! The details with the streetlights etc are excellent, as is the overall groundwork.

Patrick

First Name
Aaron
Fantastic progress i like the clothes line and the wood piles are a nice touch.

What make are the lights? Thumbs up with the powerlines from me too.