Coutances (Normandy) early 1944

C

CDW

Bit of an update.

Have got the village figures painted and in situ ........

added the carrier commander having a smoke with the old chap

The bren carrier itself (wanted it to look used and abused like it had splashed through muddy puddles ... not sure if i've gone over the top though)

Next to do are the 5 infantry figures and the M3 Stuart Honey if i ever find one in stock anywhere !!

View attachment 44447

View attachment 44448

View attachment 44449

View attachment 44450

View attachment 44451

View attachment 44452

View attachment 44453

View attachment 44454

View attachment 44455

View attachment 44456

View attachment 44457

Photo0297.jpg

Photo0298.jpg

Photo0299.jpg

Photo0333.jpg

Photo0308.jpg

Photo0309.jpg

Photo0310.jpg

Photo0311.jpg

Photo0317.jpg

Photo0318.jpg

Photo0324.jpg

Last edited:
K

Kieran

wow man the whole scene is starting to become more lifelife by every post you make.

ispecially like the interior inside the bren carrier

D

dubster72

That's looking really good Colin. The interior detail in that Bren gun carrier is amazing & really well done.

Cheers

Patrick

First Name
Aaron
I agree with Patric and Kieran about the great bren carrier interior. Wicked.

The bren itself looks heavy in weight i guess the gunmetal is spot on.

I keep an eager eye on this

Primo job Colin

C

CDW

Thanks for the comments guys,

As for the M3 Stuart Honey kit drought round these parts ..... it looks as though our great leader John is able to come to the rescue and can get one in stock for me ... :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Hi Colin, whilst the ciggys are a nice touch, they're a bit oversized, especially as most troops in the field smoked roll-ups ( except the Americans! ) and any Tommy with rope for a rifle strap would be risking the wrath of his sarge!

If you've no lead foil, try just strips of masking tape, which I've used before to good effect.

Cheers

Patrick

T

tecdes

As said Colin the top of that Bren Carrier look really real. The rust & the bright metal parts are really artistic.

Just do not know how you blokes work so quickly. I just seem to plod along & I am retired.

Very nice Colin.

Laurie

C

CDW

Two good points Patrick, i wasn't sure really, hence my "seems ok" comment, glad you said something mate.

I've cut the commanders ciggy down twice now, gets to the point where it looks to thick for its length eventually. Will have to adjust them again if it's so noticable.

The cotton on the rifle was a hesitant thing to do in my rush to get him on the base. I have some brown 1mm tape somewhere i used to stick back to back to make slings ... gonna have to change it ... you're right ... it dont look the part

I've also noticed how lifeless the hair is on the guy in the carrier ... there's not as much detail in the moulding on the figures that come with the carrier compared to the infantrymen kit.

Back in my cupboard under the stairs i go :smiling3:

C

CDW

\ said:
I just seem to plod along & I am retired.
I thought i did plod along compared to some assembly lines on here (not mentioning any names ... Roman :smiling3: )

Thank for the comment

P

Polux

That nice is the color of the figures, I love it.

Colin since you obtain this sheen in them?? Do you use oils or glaze???

It's a great diorama mate!!!

Regards

C

CDW

\ said:
That nice is the color of the figures, I love it.Colin since you obtain this sheen in them?? Do you use oils or glaze???

It's a great diorama mate!!!

Regards
I use Citadel acrylic paints for the figures, these paints have a natural dull satin look when dried, i mix the colours up seperately for each model/figure (or figure set) i do and flatten them back with artists "flat white" "flat black" and "flat brown" to bring them back to a dull finish.

After painting i give the model a wash with a thinner (darker) solution, pick out shadows with an acrylic black/brown wash then dry brush the highlights with a lighter solution.

The faces are painted in bronzed flesh colour, the eye's are painted and "touched up" then i highlight over with a citadel flesh tone wash.

I prefer the slight sheen to my figures, it seems to make them stand out in the diorama a little more ..... i suppose it's just personal preference.

pleased you like the look of them and the diorama

P

Polux

Thank you very much for your explanations Colin, very grateful!!

C

CDW

Redid the rifle sling and managed a couple more figures.

View attachment 40916

As an aside In an earlier post i said

"As for the M3 Stuart Honey kit drought round these parts ..... it looks as though our great leader John is able to come to the rescue and can get one in stock for me"

Well I just want to say that John's shop is the doggies dangly bits !!!!!

Tuesday i ask if he can get one, he says he can and it'll be next week ... no problems for a special order i thought.

Wednesday he PM's to tell me he's got one coming within the next two days

Thursday i get a PM to tell me it's in stock and provides me with a link to the shop for payment.

It's now friday and it's sitting packaged up waiting for our postal service to get it to me ....

And the best thing ... it was cheaper (inc postage) than it would be to drive into town, pay parking fee and buy the thing!!!!

View attachment 44588

Photo0353.jpg

First Name
Aaron
Colin its a shame for me that i cant take advantage of the great deals offered at the store due to the fact that i live in New Zealand.

I cant wait to see this with the honey in it, should look sweet =p (pun)

Those tamiya figs look great. bit of a silk purse if ya ask me.

C

CDW

Ok then, the little Honey arrived today :smiling3: (very, very well packed i may add)

Now to try and sort through all the info i've grabbed from t'interweb and make it up into a turretless, european command/radio vehicle ... there's quite a few different versions regarding paint colour, markings, accessory positions, armourment mounting etc so i have a little "artistic licence" to play with.

Will post a few piccies of the progress if you're interested chaps :smiling3:

C

CDW

Made a start on the "Honey"

The amount of detail is quite good, there's a lot of stailing in the interior, not able to be seen when the top and turret are on unfortunately (good thing i'm doing a turretless version)

a few snap shots along the way

View attachment 41032View attachment 41033View attachment 41034View attachment 41035View attachment 41036View attachment 41037

One thing that did surprise me is that there's no figure included which seems to be quite common in tank kits ... or am i wrong?

View attachment 44691

View attachment 44692

View attachment 44693

View attachment 44694

View attachment 44695

View attachment 44696

Photo0371.jpg

Photo0372.jpg

Photo0374.jpg

Photo0375.jpg

Photo0376.jpg

Photo0378.jpg

D

dubster72

That looks very nice Colin, some decent interior detail there. As for figures, some kits have them, some don't ( especially Dragon kits).

Keep up the good work

Patrick

First Name
Aaron
Wow! no flies on you mate. Straight into it huh. Looks like a nicely detailed interior which must be nice for OOB. How are the tracks? indy or band?

I find that most Tamiya come with a driver or a figure of some sort but unless stated on the box i wouldnt expect any figs

I really like your work Colin and i look forward to the Honey =) Looks like loads of fun