Covering up fuselage joints/lines

T

tecdes

\ said:
Guys - can someone possibly give me a dummies guide to using plastic weld - i've looked at loads of threads and sites, am I right in thinking that I get the dry fit perfect, then hold the 2 halves of the fuselage together with no glue or tape, and the nose up / tail down vertically (almost) and then just let a bead of weld run down the length of the join using capillary action, so obviously not squeezing too tight until it has run the length, and then squeezing tighter to get a bead to form on the surface.ThanksMike
You are on the right trail Mike. - Tutorail videos

I got my technique via Phil Flory. I have amended it to suit me but it gives a great grounding in the basics. You have to subscribe £3:00 to get acess per month. But there are about 20 tutorials there which for just a month is great value.

I basically put the halves together then tape in various strategic places. Then using the weld glue I tack various points. As I think it was Steve (Stona) who said do not get the stuff near the tape as it gums up the whole lot. This glue travels by capillary action a long way form the point of contact. Then I remove the tape after the tacks have cured, not before. Then if necessary tape other points to clue up the joint & tack. Then finish by applying the weld glue to the un-welded joints.

Just to be pedantic. Not a glue. As in a steel metal weld you are melting the two surfaces together to form a joint. Glues such as superglue (c/a) & others (forgotten the name) actually stick to both surfaces (if you are lucky) with the glue hardening between the two halves.

There are many ways & if you see Flory I am sure you will then devise your own technique. I find he is a bit gungho but he certainly produces the goods his way.

Laurie

D

Deisenaut

thanks Laurie - this makes sense - gonna buy a cheap practice model first!

how do you apply to keep it clean? Toothpicks?

Last edited:
T

tecdes

\ said:
thanks Laurie - this makes sense - gonna buy a cheap practice model first!how do you apply to keep it clean? Toothpicks?
If you look on the shop Mike you will find Albion Alloys stuff model supplies, model making supplies, model making tools, uk cheap

This gives a way of doing it.

At the moment I am using Tamiya Thin Cement Glue which is for all intents & purposes is the same as Plasti-Weld. Tamiya has a brush attached to the lid. I seem to have emigrated to Tamiya without any good reason, except that it was handy laying there, but an ordinary brush is OK. I just drag the brush over the joint in as thin a line as possible. Not to thick you do not need much. It evaporates quickly but if you apply to much, ie puddle, then you are in danger of damage to the plastic surface. Applied thinly & there is no discernible damage & it is more than enough to form the weld on the seam.

I would park the brush in a glass jar when you are using it in case it comes in contact with plastic parts. Keep the lid on when not in use as Plasi-Weld will disappear into the ether like a scared ghost.

Others have their ways which includes squeezing out melted plastic between the joint. Had some success with this method on small items but Flory's method suits me. His method includes using Tamiya fluid filler which I have found to be the best filler around. It does not break away when sanded. Came to the conclusion it is has some properties like Plasti-Weld & Tamiya Thin Cement it slightly melts into the surface.

Laurie

D

Deisenaut

great stuff - i ordered ambroid pro weld from the shop last night - ill look at florys once im out of work - thanks again!

B

beav1013

i've used testors Clear Parts Cement and Window Maker (basically elmer's white glue - not sure what you guys call that across the pond). i lay a line down on the seam, let it sit for a couple seconds to spread out to wherever it's going to go. then take a damp q-tip and run it along the seam. you can easily wipe off any excess glue since it's water soluble and it doesn't affect and panel lines. you might need to do a couple passes if the glue recedes too far, but you won't lose any detail. i've used this method several times with success.

here's a link to the product in case i wasn't clear: Scalehobbyist.com: Clear Parts Cement and Window Maker by Testors Models and Paints

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
On the subject of cements and Phil Flory - his news show of the 17th Feb included a comparison of cements and welds. He compared Tamiya Extra Thin (his normal favourite), Mr Cement S, Plastic Weld and Mek Pak. He was surprised to see that Mr Cement S came out on top. It was an interesting exercise and well worth watching.

H

Hangtight

I'm using up a pot of Humbrol Liquid Poly at the moment, which is applied to exactly where I need it with a 4/0 brush that's a little past its' best. Get the pieces together and then simply load a little Poly onto the brush and dab it onto the joint in an out of the way spot. It'll capillary a surprisingly long way. I'm still learning, but I'm finding that about 60-70% of the time the joint will clean up with just a careful scrape with a sharp #11 blade.

I use MMD green putty to fill any visible joins, applied with Royal Sovereign Cup Round Colour Shaper 10 Soft - Hobbycraft | Craft Shop, Art Supplies. Any excess simply breaks away from the tool once it's dry, so no clean up woes. I've also discovered that the Liquid Poly does an excellent job of thinning the MMD putty down to whatever consistency you want, including a nice thin paste that is perfect for getting into seams and narrow gaps without it splodging out everywhere. If you can apply just the amount of filler you need then you're far less likely to end up over sanding and losing detail.

T

tecdes

\ said:
On the subject of cements and Phil Flory - his news show of the 17th Feb included a comparison of cements and welds. He compared Tamiya Extra Thin (his normal favourite), Mr Cement S, Plastic Weld and Mek Pak. He was surprised to see that Mr Cement S came out on top. It was an interesting exercise and well worth watching.
Received a little pot of Mr Cement. Tried all three Mr Cement, Tamiya & Plastic Weld. Plastic weld is good but if you use to much you will get sinking into the plastic surface.

Little to choose from Tamiya & Cement S. Tamiya does not creep as quickly as Cement S. Stuck two wings halves together with Cement S. I had tape at intervals & as I do with Tamiya expecting the solvent to stop short of the tape. It ran like lightening & you could see it's progress all past the tape. Think for some things Tamiya is best others Cement S. Unless you slosh the Tamiya & Cement S on it does not harm the plastic.

Have not looked at Florys as I did not want to be prejudiced.

Laurie

S

spaceface

Some very good ideas and thanks to all.Has anyone ever used toothpaste as a filler?I`ve seen it demonstrated in an old book of scale models and wondered if this was worth a go.

I`m still at the scary tentative stage of model making but fancy trying out the Tamiya filler idea.

T

tecdes

\ said:
Some very good ideas and thanks to all.Has anyone ever used toothpaste as a filler?I`ve seen it demonstrated in an old book of scale models and wondered if this was worth a go.I`m still at the scary tentative stage of model making but fancy trying out the Tamiya filler idea.
Not used toothpaste Space (need your name mate) for model making but with the cost of dentistry thinking of experimenting with Tamiya Filler on my own teeth & Tamiya cement for denture repairs ? This could be a growing business if I can get my teeth into it (sorry).

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Never tried toothpaste! Would it really dry hard? It would certainly add a minty aroma to the model :smiling3:

Tippex (liquid paper) can be used for small gaps.

Cheers

Steve

P

phalinmegob

i have heard quite often of builders filling drill holes on interior walls with toothpaste.

T

tecdes

As hackneyed the proof is in the eating.

Tried toothpaste in a hole in a blob filler & as a thin filler. After 24 hours it goes to a pliable surface & where thicker still soft tooth paste. Also in a hole it sinks in the middle. You cannot sand.

I shall shortly be drawing up a scientific paper on the subject for submission to the joint Institute of Model & Dentistry Inspection & Experimental Unit.

For me I will stick, ha ha, to Mr Surfacer 500 & finer 1000. Inert & hard in the hour. Sandable in the hour & sticks like it is welded to the surface. Also sands at the same rate as plastic which is probably it's greatest advantage. Cheaper than toothpaste.

Laurie

H

happy1

You can also remove and smooth Mr Surfacer with 91% rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip (cotton bud) it won't harm the plastic at all.

Paul

T

tecdes

\ said:
You can also remove and smooth Mr Surfacer with 91% rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip (cotton bud) it won't harm the plastic at all.Paul
Thanks Paul. As Michael Caine might say "not many people know that".