Creating a waterfall

StephenN

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi folks, I am attempting to create a waterfall effect using woodland scenics water effects. Now, I have tried spreading this white paste over acrylic perspex and glass; thinning it out to create a water effect. In a video I watched by Luke Towan, the guy just peeled it off after it was dry, but for the life of me, I can't. It's stuck fast and I can't get it off. It just chips off. Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks

Reactions: JR

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I can't offer any specific advice for your problem, except to say, youtube is a brilliant resource for 'how to' videos. But I'm guessing you found 'Luke Towan' on YT.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Can we see the packaging? Sometimes the product description and directions for use can give a clue.

Cheers,
Richard

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Kathy Millatt and Luke from Geek Gaming (or Luke APS) do some great tutorials on them.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Check out Richard's (who replied earlier) work - I seem to recall it was his Malayan Confrontation diorama; very good and effective!
Steve

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Stephen, hi , I've just looked at the video by Luke Towan .
From what I could see it was a layer of Mod Podge glue that he peeled off. Removing a coat of Woodland scenics would be problematic. Maybe email them and ask their opinion.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Check out Richard's (who replied earlier) work - I seem to recall it was his Malayan Confrontation diorama; very good and effective!
Steve
Thanks for that Steve...Stephen, if you'd like a peak it's here at Malayan Emergency. Mine are little waterfalls yet to be finished with Mod Podge. I used plastic biscuit containers and cut them up. The Woodland Scenics product if I'm not mistaken hardens to a crystal like texture that doesn't bend easily as Mod Podge or white glue. Even UHU glue works but as has been suggested a smear of vaseline would help it not sticking.

Cheers,
Richard

StephenN

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
I can't offer any specific advice for your problem, except to say, youtube is a brilliant resource for 'how to' videos. But I'm guessing you found 'Luke Towan' on YT.
Thank you. That's no problem

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I've seen the vallejo stuff used over a thin poece of clear acetate that had been cut to size first, maybe a similar approach with the woodland scenic stuff?
(Thinking about it I think I have the tutorial box from woodland for waterfall, so I'll dig out the inestructions.)

StephenN

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Maybe a smear of vaseline or similar on the glass will stop it sticking?
Gern, thank you so much for that piece of advice. That vaseline has worked!! I can now peel the 'water' off! Looking forward to making waterfalls!! :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Gern, thank you so much for that piece of advice. That vaseline has worked!! I can now peel the 'water' off! Looking forward to making waterfalls!! :smiling3:

Glad to hear it. Looking forward to pics of your efforts.

First Name
Steven
High Eye Workshop is a genius at waterfalls.