Dave Ward's Revell/ICM 1/48 Dornier Do215B-5

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Following like a following thing on a following day. I've looked at this kit 'a lot' and i've been tempted many many times.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice one Dave, that camo scheme will be a neat one to paint:smiling:.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Not sure Dave. Do you think i should? :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
First the obligatory sprue shots - I have to admit, I cut the wings & fuselage off the sprues, before I remembered I had to take pictures...................P1060367.JPGP1060356.JPGP1060357.JPG

Lots of canopies to choose!P1060352.JPG

2 of these:P1060353.JPG

P1060354.JPGP1060355.JPG

All parts are crisply moulded, no flash at all, no visible ejector marks and no sink marks spotted. I'll put up a few detail shots in the next post
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm using a Modeldecal sheet - all over black - should be interesting, and an Eduard PE fret for the radar antennae. Later versions had fewer, larger aerials, but these are rather small.P1060366.JPG
All engraved detail.............P1060358.JPG
Some nicely moulded parts - fuselage frameP1060359.JPG

Misc. radio boxes & instrument panelP1060360.JPGP1060362.JPG

There are two complete engines, complete with bearers etc, but I think I'll build with cowling closed
P1060363.JPG

The undercarriage looks pretty complicated, some nice detail
P1060364.JPGP1060365.JPG

I don't know if this will be visible, but observers & gunners seats have a basket weave bottomP1060361.JPG

All in all it looks very nice, but the real test will be the fit!
I'm not going to build this very quickly, I have other models I want to work on, and I have a few health problems at the moment, nothing disastrous, but rather distracting.
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
All black finish eh. Any thoughts on how to bring out the details?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
I have several bottles of Hataka 'Night Black' - which is actually a very dark grey - that will be the starting point!
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I remember waaaay back that Stona (Steve) said that adding a little red to the black made it more scale friendly.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Should be a interesting build Dave!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Before I actually start cutting & assembling - a real beef about the Revell instructions - nothing wrong with the assembly diagrams - nice & clear. It's the old one about colours!
I downloaded the original ICM instructions - this is their colour chart:colors.jpg

Nice and simple - it gives the RLM numbers & correct name - really useful.
The Revell instructions, however for 'F' RLM 76 Hellblau ( light blue ) only give it only in terms of their own paint, so RLM 76 is 80% 49 matt light blue + 20% 05 matt white, and it's the same for the whole palette of colours needed. Surely it's not too much to add the correct RLM number & name ? I realise they want to push their own paint, but why can't they add the correct number/name to their own paints, if they don't want to quote any other makers?
- Anyway, beef over - I'll be starting construction this afternoon...................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After an hour or so of stress-free assembly, this is the result. Just about ready for a prime, and basecoat of RLM 02.P1060371.JPGP1060372.JPG
One or two ejector pin marks, but I don't think they'll be visible when the fuselage is completed. There are several frames that fit in the bomb bay area & a large fuel tank etc. - none of which will be seen - but I think the frames will add strength to thie fuselage/wing joint, the bomb racks & fuel tank, I'll leave out.
There are decals for the instrument panel, but the detail is such that I probably will be better off painting - rather than getting decals to sit down over all those lumps & bumps.
Dave

First Name
john
Watching intently as I have this kit burried in my stash in one of many unlabelled cardboard boxes 144 miles away. We are relocating soon. Kit looks nicely detailed and the aftermarket parts will really make it "pop." Look forward to further updates. Good luck Dave.
Cheers John

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One thing that is missing, which needs addressing is the lack of seat belts. The pilot's seat needs a harness, otherwise it'll look bare. I'll have a look for some PE belts, but otherwise masking tape
Dave