Dave W's BAC Lightning

First Name
Dave
I got the model out and had a go at paint stripping with some oven cleaner.Unfortunately it hasn't worked.Not sure what to do now.I don't want to bin it really.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Once you have gotten the alclad off, how about trying Vallejo air brush cleaner. Thats rather good at removing hard paint...

Ian M

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Once you have gotten the alclad off, how about trying Vallejo air brush cleaner. Thats rather good at removing hard paint...Ian M
Thanks Ian.Will get some next time I'm in town.the problem is the Vallejo White primer I used.I've tried sanding the edges but it won't feather and I'm left with a ridge.It will have to be completely stripped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Appreciate that Dave, I just thought I would give you a heads up that their Airbrush cleaner is pretty good as a stripper. I even use it to clean my desk top off after a couple or three builds. Sounds an expensive way of doing it but it works.

I hope you get it sorted.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Alclad resists oven cleaner, we should be painting our cars in the stuff. Hope you can get the Lightning back to the way you want it Dave, it is a good build so far despite the paint issues. Did you leave the beast over night with the oven cleaner on it?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Alclad resists oven cleaner, we should be painting our cars in the stuff. Hope you can get the Lightning back to the way you want it Dave, it is a good build so far despite the paint issues. Did you leave the beast over night with the oven cleaner on it?
I left it a couple of hours.Might as well try again and seal it in a plastic bag overnight.Nothing to loose.The Alclad all came off easily.Its the Vallejo acrylic polyurethane primer that's the problem.I used white spirit to remove the Alclad and most of the black base.Unfortunately it also took off some of the primer.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Oh I see. Try the oven cleaner over night and then use a tooth brush gently and some water and see how that works out. Acetone seems to be a favourite remover of polyurethane, but you risk the plastic being affected. Failing that would heating it carefully with a hair dryer soften the stuff?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Oh I see. Try the oven cleaner over night and then use a tooth brush gently and some water and see how that works out. Acetone seems to be a favourite remover of polyurethane, but you risk the plastic being affected. Failing that would heating it carefully with a hair dryer soften the stuff?
I've just covered the model in oven cleaner and sealed it in a plastic bag overnight.

First Name
Dave
Well,I coated it with lots of oven cleaner,sealed it in a bag overnight and that hasn't worked.So I'm off into town to get some Alclad airbrush cleaner.

First Name
Dave
No Alclad airbrush cleaner in town.So that's probably the end of the Lightning build for the foreseeable future.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Halt stop! Alclad airbrush cleaner will most likely eat the plastic. (and it stinks).

I think that it would be better if you sand it off with a very fine wet and dry then try the VALLEJO airbrush cleaner to get the vallejo primer off.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
No Alclad airbrush cleaner in town.So that's probably the end of the Lightning build for the foreseeable future.
That was lucky.

I found that Cellulose thinner is perfect for cleaning the airbrush with. The Alcad cleaner is both expensive and smells like poo. I would not recommend using either on plastic though.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's a shame Dave. How rough is the surface now then? If you were to abandon Alclad finishes and go with a traditional silver finish would that work?

First Name
Dave
\ said:
That's a shame Dave. How rough is the surface now then? If you were to abandon Alclad finishes and go with a traditional silver finish would that work?
The White primer is like a skin.Where it's come off the model there is an edge to it.And it won't sand smooth .So will show up big time under a coat of paint.I haven't given up,Ive just decided to leave it for now.

C

Caledonia

Dave, Sorry to see your problems. I would suggest you use Mr Color Thinner, it removes everything without damaging the plastic. Dampen a kitchen roll with it and gently rub the paint off the plastic. Keep clear of the canopy mind. I haven't found a paint that it can't remove including lacquers. Cheers Derek

http://www.modelsrgo.co.uk/mr-color-thinner-250ml.html

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
sorry to about your disaster i my self have never used a all over alclaid paint job i have heard thats it tricky hope you can recover from this mishap

Z

Ziper_it

Sorry, can't help too much here but I hope you sort it out soon.

Francesco

First Name
Dave
Yesterday evening I spent time sanding the primer edges and I think Ive made them disappear.I then sprayed two coats of primer on.Will have a good look at it today,but I think it's worked.If it has I will have another go with the Alclad.It was my fault it didn't work the first time.Nothing wrong with the paint.

First Name
Dave
I've had a good look at the model and am pleased to say Ive managed to repair the paint damage.So tonight I put two coats of Alclad gloss black base on the model and it's looking good.