Dave's PM Model 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
pm spit floatplane.jpg
I'll be doing this as an experiment! Cheapest retail model I could find..........................
DSCF3028.JPGDSCF3027.JPGDSCF3029.JPG
A bit crude is being polite! Raised panel lines, no internals! Not only crude, but wrong - It has cannon bulges on the bottom of the wing, as well as the top!
DSCF3035.JPGDSCF3037.JPG
The decals & instructions look OK.......................
Colour scheme
DSCF3036.JPG
I would add some detail shots, but I can't find any detail!
A better idea would be to use the floats on a better Mk.Vb model ( Italeri perhaps,,,,,,,,), but I will make this OOB ( although, I might add a pilot to fill the empty interior! ).
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Dave would like to see this one hope it doesn’t give you much grief

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Is it just me, or does that sprue lay out look very similar to the original old Airfix spitfire?

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Good luck with your second build Dave :thumb2:

Or is this the first and the other is the second :anguished: anyway good luck.

Geoff.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst paint is drying on my Tuscaloosa, I decided, for better, or worse to tackle this thing first...............
I was intending to add a pilot, but when I offered him up, he was way too wide to fit the fuselage!
Oh well, stick the fuselage & floats together................
DSCF3398.JPGDSCF3401.JPG
The fit is actually quite good, a bit of cleaning up - sink marks! on fuselage & floats...............

The one piece wings had the cannons removed & the bulges taken flat '

DSCF3400.JPG
A bit more work needed to remove all trace!

There is some surgery needed on the tail, to fit the extended lower portion
DSCF3402.JPG I'm going to wait until I get the airframe all together before breaking out the Perfect Plastic Putty, try and nail the filler in one pass..................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks to be going better than expected. Sink marks make it look like it’s been under fire though Dave, by very heavy ordinance ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I wondered if I couldn't fit a pilot, if that meant the model is out of scale. The Spitfire Mk.Vb had a wingspan of 11.23m - in 1/72 that's 156mm. Measuring the model, the wingspan is 155mm. So I've either got a portly pilot, or the fuselage is too narrow. Can't say I'm bothered really, it's purely a stand alone model - I reckon it's going to be more like a recognition model, than a true scale model. I had considered rescribing the panels, but decided that wasn't worth the effort! I'll sand off the raised lines, and leave it at that................
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Will be interested in this Dave.

I bought a PM TA-154 on a whim because it was so cheap despite the main review I read being less than complimentary....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Will be interested in this Dave.

I bought a PM TA-154 on a whim because it was so cheap despite the main review I read being less than complimentary....
Andrew,
I've got a PM model Beech C-45 Expeditor in the stash - that actually looks pretty good - very buildable, mind you, t was one of the more expensive PM models - £7.20!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
No bench time! My hand is acting up again, so I've decided to give it a rest for a few days. hasn't stopped me looking at future builds from my stash, and thinking I must make a few more models. One thing that will help me, is I got a new computer keyboard, to replace my ( trashed ) original - I don;t say that my spare keyboard has caused my OA to flare up again, but I don't think it helped...............
Dave

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sorry to hear your hand is playing up again Dave, hope it gets better soon.
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew,
I've got a PM model Beech C-45 Expeditor in the stash - that actually looks pretty good - very buildable, mind you, t was one of the more expensive PM models - £7.20!
Dave
Mine was £7.57! Is that the most expensive one?? ;)

On a serious note, sorry to hear about the OA flaring up again, hope it's short lived.

ATB.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
First thing is I hope your hand improves. All you can do is rest it.
As for the kit! That is a real challenge. You have a lot more patience and determination than I would have.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The hand isn't too bad at the moment, but I know if I continue to use it as normal, then it will get worse, and take longer to recover.
On my mental build program, I'm up to May 2023, and that's not counting new additions! Of course it will all change.............
Dave

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Dave I feel your pain I’ve noticed I’m slowing down in the evenings after working and on the weekends working here on the Hobby Farm I used to sit at the bench and work but my hands hurt too much. I had Arthritis in my hands for years too so I know how you feel hope you get better.