Dave's PM Model 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Limiting my benchtime to less than an hour for the moment, I've been finding a few more problems - the wing joints - on the right side the wing slot is noticeably lower than the left! A bit of surgery needed.
DSCF3404.JPGDSCF3405.JPG
After a bit more fettling - the filler was needed. PPP dries pretty quickly, so I was able to rub it down within my time limit...................
DSCF3407.JPGDSCF3408.JPG I'll let this really dry out overnight, then have another look to see if there any glaring gaps. I'll add the floats, radiator & oil cooler, before starting the priming process
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for this Dave. Give me an idea of what to look out for on my PM TA-154.....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A final going over with crocus paper, floats etc added, then an overall spray of grey primer
DSCF3409.JPGDSCF3410.JPG
Next question is, what to spray next? Either the Ocean Grey base coat on the upper surfaces, or the Trainer Yellow on the underside? I'll get the paints out & decide tomorrow morning. One thing I've found out, is that the PM plastic is very soft - you need a minimum of TET, otherwise it dissolves the plastic to quite a degree!
As usual, I see that the primer has highlighted several duff area! - Oh Well................
Dave

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Well a least it looks something like a spitfire considering how cheap it is but kudos for persisting.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Funny looking beastie isn’t it. Coming on though, despite issues and rough bits….

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I had to look up a bit about float plane versions of the Spitfire. It seems the idea was abandoned, the Spitfire didn't perform too well with two HUGE floats dangling underneath. Well, who knew.
It looks like you have a true 'Modellers model' there Dave. Keep up the good work.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I decided to do the upper side camouflage first - It being easier to mask this, than the other way round
DSCF3411.JPGDSCF3412.JPG
I sprayed Ocean Grey, then hand painted the Dark Green patches. I'll let this dry overnight before masking & spraying what could be troublesome - the Trainer Yellow.............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not the most successful masking exercise, it's left quite a few ragged edges, that will need a bit of a clean up
DSCF3413.JPGDSCF3414.JPG Not sure what has happened, perhaps I should have left a day more before I masked, and sprayed the yellow :sad: . A bit of scraping to remove those ragged bits & retouching is needed - I bet in the end it would have been easier to brush paint the underside.............
Dave