Dave's UniModel 1/72 ZSU-37(1944)

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
20220131_182415.jpg
20220205_180636.jpg
20220205_180601.jpg
Having almost finished the little Italian armoured car it just wants the tyre's tonsing up and the crank handle handle painting plus was getting bored of it decided to leave it till this was up for a splash of paint.
Not much to it only 123 parts and some etch ,I built the hull tub yesterday evening so as to have something solid to bash on from ,tub now has all swing arms and wheels fitted ready for the l+l tracks pic to follow.
Whilst doing that worked on upper hull at same time ,cut off the strange forward facing exhausts and replaced with some aluminium tubing rather than try to drill out the ends and used some masking tape to represent metal straping correct or not dont care it looks the part.20220206_102702.jpg
And hey look at me ive filled some knock out marks not bad for a super slob eh.
20220206_102803.jpg
There is more to show and talk about but more of that later. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Never even seen one of those before Dave!

Nick
Hi Nick according to the blurb with the instructions.....Over 150 machines in general were constructed. It was the first antiaircraft plant on a trucked chassis. Before anyone buts in ive taken that word for word from the instruction header.
The joy of working in 72nd the choice is so much better than 35th, MiniArt have the same chassis in 35th surprised they haven't optimised the mouldings ,I belive IBG now have a vickers chassis in 35th the unusual built on that is endless but wether their prepared to bring on the unusual remains to be seen. Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one david , something different and in 1/72 too. You say ONLY 123 parts ! That sounds like a lot to me !

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting!!!!

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi David
I made a UM kit for the Simon T GB. He was fond of UM stuff. I've not seen this one. A really interesting vehicle.
Jim
Looks good so far David. What’s the fit like?
Thanks Jim nTim(sorry about that sounds really corny)I can see why Simon liked them their quite busy but not busy enough for him there was always plenty to chop off replace sometimes to the point of he might just have well scratched built it ,his encouragement was endless but I always got the must try harder or could have done better sadly still much missed.
Tim there not bad its a case of you get what you pay for fit of parts has been fine so far detail is nice and clean no flash to speak of sometimes you have to go the extra with them but that goes with the territory ,the plastic is a bit weird on this one very soft but hey like I said you get what you pay for. I've done enough of them now to know whats in the box , plus the subject matter is far from run of the mill. There not everybody's cup of tea you only get out what you put in but I enjoy them like the work I did on the exhaust no big shakes but every little helps said the woman as she P'd in the sea. Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
My UM kit was a nightmare. I hope you are having better luck with yours. They certainly need to be beaten into submission and it looks like you are doing a great job with it. Will you be having another go with the winter camo? Keep it comin my friend

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My UM kit was a nightmare.
That’s been pretty much my experience with them too. I bought their M10 17-pounder SP gun years ago, and found it a very tough kit to build, to the extent that I didn’t feel like starting the second one I had of it (having bought them for wargaming) — and still haven’t. But maybe the quality varies per kit?

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
My UM kit was a nightmare. I hope you are having better luck with yours. They certainly need to be beaten into submission and it looks like you are doing a great job with it. Will you be having another go with the winter camo? Keep it comin my friend
Thanks Steve na kits OK I've done a few that were hard going but all part of the territory with UM ,UM-MT are also a bit prone to give you a run for your money ,bit to soon to have a bash again with the winter camo though some time in the future ive got a UM marder3 so panzer gray with with winter camo will be on the cards. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That’s been pretty much my experience with them too. I bought their M10 17-pounder SP gun years ago, and found it a very tough kit to build, to the extent that I didn’t feel like starting the second one I had of it (having bought them for wargaming) — and still haven’t. But maybe the quality varies per kit?
Jakko they do blow hot and cold i just accept it and put my head down and crack on ,they are relatively cheap so you only get what you pay for ,the subject choice is emence 35ers would die for it ,can't moan eight to say fourteen pounds you just don't get shake n bake. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Managed some more time at the dining table threw myself into the link and length track's I've never had any bother with them personally but they seem to play mind games with some of the chaps before they even start ,mind I will say they can get a bit tedious ,
20220207_193341.jpg
Hull top with one of the links in the middle ,I assemble the links and lengths in sections ready to work my way around in blocks the only wheel not fixed will be the drive sprocket this fitted with a tiny touch of TET when ready ,you need a little wiggle room backwards or forwards to wind the track in to the correct place.
I've a tatty old piece of perspex with a strip of masking tape wich stops the links sticking to anything fixing each one with a tiny drop of TET there's no rush here better of leaving for a few minutes they stay flexible for age's letting you get a good one piece wrap around the sprocket
20220207_195235.jpg
I hope some of this has made sense honest once you get your head around them your wonder what all the fuss was about.
20220207_193224.jpg
Wheels on
20220207_193238.jpg
Tracks on
20220208_101722.jpg
20220208_101751.jpg
Hull top fitted have done a fair bit to the turret but were save that for next time ,I dont wish to sound blazay about l+l there not even a steep learning curve I just don't see parting with the same as you paid for the kit when the tracks come with it. Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi all have cracked on and got it up to primer, bit of work done on the turret ,it drastically needed thinning down did this with sanding sticks and nail file sticks untill bordem set in but better than it was whilst doing this noticed no internal detail to correspond with the doors on the turret front(there's none for the pistol ports as well but hey ho)so made a pattern from masking tape using the outside detail then put to the inside right over left ,left over right hope you can follow that ,only done to hint at detail being there ,can barley see it now built
20220207_193643.jpg
20220210_163559.jpg
Rest of the build went smoothly nothing major nothing that wasn't expected ,personally I love these little UM models but not many peoples favourites
20220210_163450.jpg
I did cut some sprue tab bits and stuck to the compartment floor(above) just to give it a bit of false detail as it can be seen (if you look hard enough)through the turret floor ,artistic licence?
20220210_163534.jpg
20220210_163846.jpg20220210_163908.jpg
20220210_164044.jpg
20220210_164152.jpg
A bit picture heavy ,no work tomorrow so will throw some primer at it hopefully leaving the way clear to show it some green across the weekend as usual c+c always welcome . Dave