DC-3 Eastern Airlines COMPLETE.

V

Vajled

Looks like real one... fantastic

5* from me

Roman

P.S.

I have great trouble with my MiG-21 and alclads...

Can you please tell me how you apply them, witch base color you use for alclad - som shiny or mat?

Thx

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Roman, as a base coat for "normal" Alclad finishes like aluminium,duraluminium etc I use my normal grey primer. For the polished finishes like polished aluminium or chrome I use a gloss black base coat. This was the case on the DC-3. I used Humbrol gloss black enamel. Alclad do their own base coat which would do the same job.

It is very important to let this base coat dry and cure thoroughly. Leave it for as long as possible and at least 48 hours! I have seen people complain of crazing or crackling in the Alclad finish and I believe that this is caused by an under cured base coat.

Alclad is quite hot stuff and you don't want it to interact with your base coat so apply it in several very light coats. It dries very quickly and I find on a larger scale model that by the time I have misted a coat from,say,one end of a wing to the other I can start the second coat straight away.

On small parts,like an undercarriage leg or propeller spinner,I leave about ten minutes between coats.

Cheers

Steve