Desert Stuka

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That must have been fun, getting the decals over those … what are those thingies anyway?
The two parallel rails near the leading edge are dive brakes, and the lumps outboard of the balkenkreuz are the mounting points for the smaller bombs. The crosses actually go under the dive brakes, and Airfix provide small decals that go on the dive brakes so they don't hide the crosses. They were fiddly enough but the code letters either side of the bomb pylons were worse as they have to go over one of the pylons. I broke one of them in 2 places but managed to get it back well enough. If I built another one I'd cheat by moving those code letters further outboard - nobody would know!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just Microset Jim. The ones on the dive brakes might need some Sol, as they have to curve around the brakes.
Incidentally, the dive brakes and variable incidence horizontal stabiliser were linked, so the aircraft dived when the brakes were lowered. There was also an automatic pull-out system, as a pull-out from a full speed dive would subject the pilot to 6g, possibly resulting in a blackout, so the auto system would ensure the aircraft pulled out of the dive even if the pilot was unconscious. The control column movement was also limited.
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely Pete, despite your problems. Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The two parallel rails near the leading edge are dive brakes
Ah, of course.

The crosses actually go under the dive brakes, and Airfix provide small decals that go on the dive brakes so they don't hide the crosses.
I was wondering about that, because the crosses look like you didn’t apply them over the dive brakes (as that would have drastically shortened one of the arms) but it hadn’t occurred to me that there may be separate decals for the dive brakes. Well thought-out, then.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Most of the decals are on the starboard side as well as the upper wing surfaces:
P1170621.JPG
The snake decal was... interesting! The body is in two pieces, so I assumed (ass, you, me) that the front one went on first, then the balkenkreuz would butt up against the end of the snake decal, then the tail end of the snake would butt up against the cross. WRONG! I fitted the front end of the snake, then the cross, left it to dry, then discovered the tail of the snake would overhang the fuselage by about 10 millimetres! It seems I should have fitted both halves of the snake, butted against each other, then fitted the cross over the join. easy fix - cut 10 mm off the front end of the snakes's tail decal. Only problem is that the balkenkreuz is now 5 mm too far back. Don't tell anyone will you?
In other snake-related problems, the main head decal has a cutout to fit over the air intake cowl, and there's a separate decal to go on that cowl, but Airfix forgot to put the white body colour on that decal, so it just has a few blobs of sandgelb to go on a sandgelb background. I might try to paint in the white, if I'm feeling steady enough. Somehow I've got the snake's head too low, as the tongue (another separate decal) should be above the exhaust, but I've had to fit it below the exhaust.
Next up, the port side, and the swastikas from a Fantasy Printshop set. That will be in a couple of days, as I have a trade show tomorrow at the NEC.
Cheers
Pete

Last edited: