Diorama Resin

meirion658

SMF Supporter
First Name
Meirion
Morning all,

About to start a white cliffs of Dover diorama and would like to try my hand at using resin for the English channel.

Never used resin before and looking forward to the challenge. Any recommendations for resins please?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Meirion,
do you mean resin for the sea? There are plenty of products available, not necessarily resin
John has this sort of thing in the shop https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/125ml-scenic-water-deluxe-materials-bd43-p14901/ - if you search for 'water effects' that'll throw up a load of products.
There a load of tutorials on YouTube, obviously each one pushing their own brand!
That's resin - not for indoor use - nasty stuff!
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Meirion, it depends on what scale you're doing. If it's in a small scale like 1/350 and below you can get away without using resin. But if you are using resin you will need to seal every the base and terrain with a water base sealant like varnish and create a reservoir at the edges to contain the resin. Resin cures very hot at high temperatures so areful with what you put in it to avoid melting...don't know about the newer stuff.

Cheers,
Wabble

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think the guys have covered it well, the only thing I can add it the sealing of the ground work is of the upmost importance. Wabble ( rtfo ) is using it on his Jungle Diorama.

meirion658

SMF Supporter
First Name
Meirion
Meirion,
do you mean resin for the sea? There are plenty of products available, not necessarily resin
John has this sort of thing in the shop https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/125ml-scenic-water-deluxe-materials-bd43-p14901/ - if you search for 'water effects' that'll throw up a load of products.
There a load of tutorials on YouTube, obviously each one pushing their own brand!
That's resin - not for indoor use - nasty stuff!
Dav

Yes Dave I'm only looking tonuse the resin for the water element of the build all the rest is sorted.

Thanks for the you tube link been watching a shed load of them over weekend. It beats watching Wales trying to play rugby that for sure!!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I would also have a look at a channel called Geek Gaming. He (in the past) did some really good water technique videos using cheaper everyday product like Clearfix. Well worth checking out.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Meirion. I can't be of any help what so ever. I don't go on YouTube, but it looks like the lads have it all sussed for you.....

I don't use resin, . I just use ordinary filler, household varnish and silicone.

Ron

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry Meirion. I can't be of any help what so ever. I don't go on YouTube, but it looks like the lads have it all sussed for you.....

I don't use resin, . I just use ordinary filler, household varnish and silicone.

Ron
Meirion, sorry for jumping in on your thread.
Ron you say you use ordinary filler for sea. Im having probs with a sea diorama, tried using Fimo but its just cracked to hell and back. What filler do you use, do you use styrofoam as a base. Sorry for being a pain.
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Meirion, sorry for jumping in on your thread.
Ron you say you use ordinary filler for sea. Im having probs with a sea diorama, tried using Fimo but its just cracked to hell and back. What filler do you use, do you use styrofoam as a base. Sorry for being a pain.
Andy
If the base is cracking, it sounds like a) You've put on too thick a layer b) Not left it long enough for it to dry c) You've dried it too quickly ( heat ).
I use DAS air drying modelling clay & build it up in thin layers. I leave at keast 24hrs between layers, in a cool dry place. After the final layer I'll leave it for at least 48 hours to finally set. Cracking is usually caused by the upper sirface drying & shrinking, whilst the lower layers aren't shrinking as fast. My first efforts were like crazy paving & chunks fell off straight away. I haven't found a way to speed this up - it's just patience!
Dave

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Dave I did wonder(all the above). At the moment I have an Ice Breaker

Attachments

• 20230921_215014.jpg
    20230921_215014.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 9

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I saw this on a FB diorama site, unknown scale , but ickle indeed
FB_IMG_1694622272232.jpg
Looks great, then.....
FB_IMG_1694622268693.jpg
The real size.....
I thought wowza.
Niho

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow, slightly putting me off when you see something like that. But as they say 'practice makes another balls up', or something like that. lol
Don't get put off Andy, for the scale you're doing, Styrofoam carved out using a soldering iron as base build up before coating with filler and then PVA before painting and finally varnish. This is exactly what I did for this...
e-boat4.jpg

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Meirion

i think resin is great where the water being depicted is transparent - such as a clean stream in 1/35th - but if you are planning on depicting deep water, such as the ocean or the Channel, or a muddy river I think resin will be an expensive solution. A lot can be achieved using a filler such as polyfiller to get the shape of the water, which is then painted, with a final coat of gloss varnish.

Consider great artists such as Roy Cross who painted Airfix box art, were able to depict the sea using only paint.

As others have said - there are a lot of 'how to' videos on the WWW.

Peter

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Don't get put off Andy, for the scale you're doing, Styrofoam carved out using a soldering iron as base build up before coating with filler and then PVA before painting and finally varnish. This is exactly what I did for this...
View attachment 491319

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble
Nice looking boat and sea Richard. 20230922_174248.jpg20230922_203401.jpg Thank for the encouragement Richard and Meirion, have decided to start again, didn't like the ice breaker look. Pics are were I've got so far. Not bothered about the hole as it will be covered by the boat.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy, that looks good. Try using a wet table spoon while applying the filler. The rounded side makes it easier to create the dips of the waves.

Cheers,
Wabble

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy, that looks good. Try using a wet table spoon while applying the filler. The rounded side makes it easier to create the dips of the waves.

Cheers,
Wabble
Good to know, ended up using fingers with the fimo, but yes, spoon sounds good for pollyfiller.
Cheers

Reactions: JR

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Just used Deluxe Materials 'Solid Water' to finish off my AVLB base, but I mixed the resin/hardener by weight and not measurement. Dried totally clear, but you can add colour if you wish.