Diorama Resin

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Seen the clear water resin in YouTube, looks pretty good, though at the moment trying to find the cheapest 'water' I can. Come on I'm from Yorkshire...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy.
I don't like the smell, mess and potluck of resin based 'water'.

I use whatever I have in the shed, be it powder or ready mixed stuff.
This I spread as a thin layer on a PVA soaked base ( enought to form the waves and motion). Again, anything suitable. Melamine, plywood, polystyrene, whatever I have.
Let this dry. Paint whatever colour is required. Then add some life into the thing with a bit of clear silicone. Job done!

I create 'depth' simply by painting on the colours and clear varnishing the result.

Keep things simple. Sometimes there is far too much faffing about where modelling water is concerned, but to each his own, and if the builder is happy with his effort then all is good.

Me, I like the easy life!

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy.
I hate the smell, mess and potluck of resin based 'water'.

I use whatever I have in the shed, be it powder or ready mixed stuff.
This I spread as a thin layer on a PVA soaked base ( enought to form the waves and motion). Again, anything suitable. Melamine, plywood, polystyrene, whatever I have.
Let this dry. Paint whatever colour is required. Then add some life into the thing with a bit of clear silicone. Job done!

I create 'depth' simply by painting on the colours and clear varnishing the result.

Keep things simple. Sometimes there is far too much faffing about where modelling water is concerned, but to each his own, and if the builder is happy with his effort then all is good.

Me, I like the easy life!

Cheers.
Ron
Yep, simple life sounds good, had a look at my 'filler' water this morning and looking good. Will need another 24 hours drying then start to paint.