Doctor Cranky's New Build (WIP--"THE ZOMBIE CRUSHER")

D

Doctor Cranky

Richard, you are right in that I flipped it here and ended up with a lot more khaki . . . which is fine with me, it's that voyage thing where you never know what's going to happen next, but I did add several colors to the yellow. If it's any help, here's where I am now . . . I unified the whole body with an airbrushed wash of brown/rust color . . . which in essence has flipped the dominant color from grey to yellow . . . so this thing is looking more like a desert fighter than a city fighter. LOL, we'll have to reinvent some of the story!

All right folks, the painting continues before the prepping for weathering, which is going to include in the first round a little bit of salting on the chassis . . . here's a round of pictures to give you an idea of where it's at. The body was sprayed with a thinned out rust . . . and the chassis has been give several coats of rust and brown . . .

D

Doctor Cranky

Here's a better angle . . .

Now, I went ahead and dry brush a mixture of stone and grey randomly to bring out the panel edges and lots of the details . . . which also helps unify all the parts . . . I think you can see it well in these few pics . . .

Remember that nothing has been weathered yet. I still have to add the chipping and some washes, etc . . . we are still far from getting done.

D

Doctor Cranky

Folks, it is germaine for the impending weathering process that I ask you to watch how easily the "salting" method it is to apply, and the best way to show you is through this video

It's so easy you will run and try it. I hope so! :smiling5:

D

Doctor Cranky

Here's part two. Let me know if you have any questions . . . remember that there are no rules (and therefore no mistakes) when it comes to this method . . .

D

Doctor Cranky

All right, after the three vids, here's the progress I've made. Remember that this has all been the painting process . . . weathering has yet to began, and it probably won't until mid week . . .

Here's the chassis . . . after the salting and a few of the other elements put in . . . (I will weathering everything without the wheels and tires. I will do them separately.):

I like the way the aluminum of the wheels looks cruddy and beat up . . .

Stay tuned in for more . . .

D

Doctor Cranky

Here are some pics of the body awaiting weathering . . .

D

dm73

Excellent salt technique, its making me want to break out the salt shaker and put rust on everything, looking at your work reminds me of an old 80's gamesworkshop game called Car Wars, i think it was done by Steve Jackson, very armoured cars and trucks trying to survive on the open road. can't wait to see some zombie brain splattered across this one.

D

Doctor Cranky

Thanks, Darren . . . the beauty of the salting process is that it is highly addictive, and therefore raises one's blood pressure! LOL.

B

beav1013

hey cranky. this build is starting to look slightly absurd. i love it.

i watched your videos on the salting, which were very good by the way. but i have 2 questions:

1. do you put down a clear coat before salting?

2. does the salting have a negative effect at all on any of the paint types? acrylics imparticular in my case since that's what i use.

thanks.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Jim, some times the salt can make the paint look bleached or faded. Which is not always a bad thing. If you really need to remove the "bleaching" I believe thinners is the way.

Virgil, this is one freaky commuter car! I could use one of those some times over here.

Ian M

D

Doctor Cranky

Jim, normally I don't seal the acrylic basecoats when I am salting, and the salt does bleach the paint and fades it . . . but when you are building junkers or heavily weathered vehicles, it becomes an asset and not a hindrance. Below is the next step that I am trying on the crushing/roller which is coming along

Here's the Zombie Crusher/Roller painted with a few coats of metallics, some inks, and then sealed with gloss varnish, and 3 or four light coats of hairspray . . . all this for the impending painting and weathering:

D

Doctor Cranky

Here's the chassis completed and assembled . . . now the weathering and finishing touches will resume . . . which will included some pigments and lots of earth, sand, and mud spatters . . .

D

Doctor Cranky

Folks, I'm taking the build to the next level which includes sponge chipping with some grey paint, then black and brown . . . all acrylic still . . . the pictures are uploading, so hold tight. The next step of the weathering process is going to be done with oils and pigments . . . Progress report coming right up! :smiling3: B) :P ;)

D

Doctor Cranky

All right folks, the painting and preliminary chipping in acrylic is done. Next up is weathering with oils and pigments, washes, and other details, and then this one will be done . . . here are some pictures that show you how everything came down finally to just two components, the body and the chassis . . . notice also that the interior and engine bay, since they are NOT going to be seen, did not receive any paint or details . . .

We still have lots to do with the tires, and mud and blood spatters!

D

Doctor Cranky

And the acrylic paint chipping is done both on the roller (hairspray technique) and the body (sponge) . . .

B

Bunkerbarge

Another brilliant lesson in weathering. Thanks for taking the time to do this Virgil, another thoroughly enjoyable thread.

T

treyzx10r

I'm with Richard, this is some inspiring material thanks for sharing!

D

Doctor Cranky

Thanks Richard and Trey . . . the weathering process should begin shortly . . .the model has had a whole day to dry and cure . . . stay tuned in for more.

D

Doctor Cranky

Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

The weathering with pigments and washes continues . . .there will be another video going up soon.

I've also decided that this model, like some of my other Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Hunter Squad vehicles, deserves a base to show it off, so I will have to build that later . . .

The fun never stops! Stay tuned in for more . . .