Dog Tag 1/16 Gurkha

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_5165.JPG

This is a 1/16 Gurkha made by Miniature Alliance for their Dog Tag range. A lot of these figures were sculpted by the great Calvin Tan, as I suspect the case is here. I've made versions of this figure a couple of times but never been very happy with the results, so....

A combination of resin and metal parts:

100_5166.JPG100_5167.JPG

The resin is nicely done, but has large casting blocks and is subject to pinholes. The white metal is truly nasty - why the left arm had to be cast in it is a mystery to me. A lot of work will be required to put this one together.

The base includes a bollard for him to sit on:

100_5168.JPG

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
A great subject. A while ago I saw a fascinating programme on how the gurkhas are recruited. Tough selection process. Maybe the left arm is white metal because of the kukri? Would resin be too fragile? Wonder why they chose a bollard for him to sit on? A tree stump or a rock would seem more appropriate.
Looking forward to it.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim

We have a lot of Gurkha people living locally. They're still based at Hythe and there used to be a battalion garrisoned at Canterbury's Howe Barracks, now closed. Both my daughters have Gurkha (Nepali) friends - soldier's daughters that they were at school with.

The metal parts supplied are, if anything, more fragile than the resin. Both the kukri and the Thompson were bent double, so I don't really know why they did it - perhaps they were worried about their resin casting (these are quite old figures).

As for the bollard - Road to Mandalay?

D

Deleted member 6559

Initial building is done:

100_5169.JPG100_5171.JPG

I'd forgotten that resin is quicker to prepare than plastic, as you don't have any mould lines to remove. The fit was reasonably good, helped by the fact that the resin was quite soft and easily worked. As with all of this range, there were quite a few surface pinholes, and sanding tended to reveal more, which was a bit annoying.

He'll be wearing the slouch hat and carrying the helmet - I swapped the awful kit pot-lid for a much better Verlinden version. I'm opting for the later jungle green uniform, as I think it will paint up better than khaki, given the heavy outlines to the strapping (i.e the need for deeper shading):

1943_jungle_green_jg_bd_short_suit_kay_canvas_140519_2_1.jpg460130af574e93a2abc492392f281b23--ww-uniforms-military-uniforms.jpg

There is a pole indicated on the bollard for the gun to lean on. This was not supplied, but easily made:

100_5171.JPG

The base will be further decorated with foliage.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have worked with the Gurkha's they are very proud and excellent soldiers. I look forward to following this along.

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome along Scottie. I used to come across Gurkhas picking up their children during the school run - all big muscle-bound blokes.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

Take a seat John. Won't have the time to model today, but back to it on Monday.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Take a seat John. Won't have the time to model today, but back to it on Monday.
Good I'll be able to pay full attention.Is the dog in a good mood ? before I break out the biscuits.

D

Deleted member 6559

The dog is incredibly jealous of my granddaughter at the moment, so anything goes. They're going home tomorrow, so after a couple of day's elation, he'll probably sulk for a week.

D

Deleted member 6559

I managed to get the head done today:

100_5172.JPG100_5173.JPG100_5174.JPG

Just couldn't focus my eyes for the first half-hour or so - just shows what working on a bust and having a couple of days off can do. I tried to keep the skin tones darker than usual by adding Red Leather to the Flat Flesh, and, apart from a couple of extreme highlights, using the Flat Flesh as the lightest tone - normally I'd add a lot of white for European skin tones.

There was no hair indicated, as most will be hidden by the hat, so I just painted on a crew-cut to finish him off.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Really looks the part. You have got a lot of character into that face.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another successful head by the looks of it Peter. Nice

D

Deleted member 6559

Except that I decided to do a little bit more work on the face:

100_5175.JPG100_5176.JPG

Something wasn't quite right with the eyes, and I realised that the hooded skin over the upper lids should flow more smoothly to the sides, ie. not be completely ringed with shadow.

D

Deleted member 6559

Glad you approve Scottie. Many thanks.

The uniform is done:

100_5177.JPG100_5178.JPG100_5180.JPG

I decided to use Vallejo Refractive Green as the base for this (no idea what's supposed to be 'refractive' about it), adding Black Brown and Off White for shading as usual, together with a little Camo Dark Olive for some of the mid tones.