Dogfight double pt. 1: Stuka

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking really fine Peter. keep forgetting this is only 1/72 scale. The splinter Cam is probably easier with tape rather than masks….but it is only the edges that need burnishing down I suppose.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Removed the camo masks and most of the tape maskingP1170160.JPGP1170161.JPG
I'll remove the masking from the canopy and the bomb sight window after I've sprayed the matt coat.
A couple of touch-ups needed, but not too bad, and I need to finish painting the u/c legs with a brush - they were too difficult to mask and spray. Tailwheel is a brush job too.
Also finished the stripe decals on the bombs, they're currently drying after a coat of Microsol.
Pete

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
That looks really good Peter. The white came out really well too. Usually it doesn't cover as nice as one would like it too. Good luck with the bombs!!!

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Underside decals on:
P1170162.JPG
Fitted the centreline bomb and it's trapeze. Had to touch up the paint on the trapeze and spotted a slight mistake...
P1170163.JPG
The masking is still on the bomb sight window! That'll be a bit tricky to remove without breaking the bomb trapeze, which I already broke while trying to clean up the mould seams. :sad:
Might as well fit the rest of the bombs before I start on the rest of the decals.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Most of the decals now on, but I need some advice from the experts. I'm adding aftermarket swastikas, as I think German aircraft of the Nazi era don't look right without. The ones I'm using are in two parts, one white, and a black one slightly smaller, the idea is to put the black swastika on top of the white so a white border shows. My only experience with two layers of decals was jsut a separate red dot on a roundel. but this is a larger decal, more fragile, and needs to be in the correct orientation as well as centred perfectly. I'm wondering if I should give the white a gloss varnish coat before trying to add the black one, to make it easier to slide as well as reducing the chance of the white getting damaged.
What do you say folks?
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Pete. Agree with Tim as it sounds like it makes sense but I've never done it myself.

Hope it works out.

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Whoops!
I put the last of the fuselage decals on, and wiped the brush across the fuselage side insignia, than a bit later turned the model onto the other side to fit the other swatika decal. Left it for a while to dry, then went to move it... the fuse side decal had stuck to the rubber on my assembly stand:
P1170165.JPG
P1170166.JPG
Luckily the torn-off piece came off the rubber after 20 minutes soaking with water, so I put some Microset on the fuselage and managed to get the piece back in place.
P1170167.JPG
The small blemish on the left end of the balkenkreuz is a bit of the rubber that came off. I wasn't going to push my luck any more by trying to remove it.
Phew!
Pete

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow, great save Peter!!! Lucky you could still use the piece of decal and it looks fine back on the plane. Push comes to shove, if you're not happy, you could add a few bullet holes across the decal and it would add a realistic touch.......

Prost
Allen

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
As the rest of the chaps said “Great Save” It’s looks great