Doug's 1/48 Airfix Sea King

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Good question nicely phrased! Can’t recall seeing red!! ;)
I’ll have shufty at some colour pics in my albums.
The only spinning red bits I recall were the droop stops!!
First pic of a mk2 - red roots.
Now to check for a mk5.

Yup, mk5 - red roots.
Another tomorrow job to add to SWMBO’s ever increasing list!!
Thanks Rick :thumb2:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good question nicely phrased! Can’t recall seeing red!! ;)
I’ll have shufty at some colour pics in my albums.
The only spinning red bits I recall were the droop stops!!
Droop stops on HAR3’s were dayglo orange but I don’t think they are featured on the Airfix Sea King.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Droop stops on HAR3’s were dayglo orange but I don’t think they are featured on the Airfix Sea King.
To be honest whenever I did marshalling I was always told to look for the actual shape rather than the colour, which I never noticed due to the abundance of grease up there!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Aghhhh. Going back to the drawing board with the decal business!! Tried very unsuccessfully to use my home printed set of black decals. Only partial success and that is coming off tomorrow.:poop: The clear film the lettering sits on appears so flimsy it just dissolves when you touch it.:poop: I have a delicate hand and no matter what I used it just disintegrates. I used my tweezers, finger, sable paint brush and paper to tease it off the clear backing!!

Pic1 and only one!!
Not at all happy with it. And that's my best one.:poop: The others were removed after they partially self destructed. The PW is coming off as I said.
IMG_1369 copy.JPG

Just walked away after the 5th attempt. No point flogging a dead horse.

I'll have a check of Hannants and sea if they have any 1/48 compatible decals.
Well I tried - failed - but tried.
This modelling lark isn't as easy as it was when I were a lad!!! Eeee, it were reet easy then!!! ;)
An unmitigated pile of poo today.
My Unhappy of Dorset!!!:unamused:

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Do not despair mon ami, when I started printing my own decals I had exactly the same problem as you. I then went to clear decal paper of a higher price and better quality which seems to work - not as good as professional ones but good enough for me.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Doug keep the faith in modelin mate as you are not the only one in the :poop: as your probs cant be any worst than my tomcat Aaaarrrrggg but im gonna keep on battlein till its built lol

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
HI Doug keep the faith in modelin mate as you are not the only one in the :poop: as your probs cant be any worst than my tomcat Aaaarrrrggg but im gonna keep on battlein till its built lol
Hi Chris, thanks buddy. Yeah, I'm keeping the faith it's just thinking you've cracked a problem, (of my own doing - I decided to change the colour scheme to my old squadron but not expecting to have a simple thing like a few decals mess up my master plan).
Been following your 'cat' thread and have total respect for what you are doing. I'm just starting out and also a bit of a realist but I never thought a bit of paper would mess me about. I couldn't handle electrics as well!! I take my hat off to you for even attempting it!!
Taking a few days out, (only to paint the kitchen), then I'll re-attack the 'King', having had time to think of my next move!! I find painting 1:1 therapeutic so it'll help.
No piece of plastic is going to win me!! (yet)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, thanks buddy. Yeah, I'm keeping the faith it's just thinking you've cracked a problem, (of my own doing - I decided to change the colour scheme to my old squadron but not expecting to have a simple thing like a few decals mess up my master plan).
Been following your 'cat' thread and have total respect for what you are doing. I'm just starting out and also a bit of a realist but I never thought a bit of paper would mess me about. I couldn't handle electrics as well!! I take my hat off to you for even attempting it!!
Taking a few days out, (only to paint the kitchen), then I'll re-attack the 'King', having had time to think of my next move!! I find painting 1:1 therapeutic so it'll help.
No piece of plastic is going to win me!! (yet)
COR Cheers Doug yes do a bit of paintin an calm down matey an yes i love eletrics but somtimes come unstuck lol but it should all go ok just a matter of patience an time