Dragon 1/16 Feldgendarme

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_5097.JPG

I've built this figure a couple of times in the past, but those examples now being in model heaven, I thought I'd have another go.

The sprues:

100_5098.JPG100_5099.JPG

One unique sprue and three generic ones for the equipment. It was obviously cheaper for Dragon to do it this way, but most of it does go into the spares box, never to be used.

He's put together, ready to paint:

100_5100.JPG

The fit was generally good, except that the alternative left arm I wanted to use didn't fit at all. I've swapped some of the equipment for Tamiya parts, and added a few extras, like the gas mask and water bottle. I've cleaned up both heads, being uncertain which to use - the bare head is wearing a set of goggles and the finish of those will be all important - if I mess them up, I'll use the helmeted head.

D

Deleted member 6559

The upper part of the coat done:

100_5104.JPG100_5105.JPG

I decided that I wanted a slightly different colour from field grey (mainly because I'm getting a bit tired of painting it), so I used Vallejo German Camo Extra Dark Green - mixed with a lot of white it gave a nice reed green colour.

I aim to tackle the gorget next, and the tricky task on trying to paint the 'Feldgendamerie' lettering. Here's a real one:

069.jpg

The yellowish colour is actually flourescent paint.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Peter
Nice radioactive gorget picture as well....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The upper part of the coat done:

View attachment 352345View attachment 352346

I decided that I wanted a slightly different colour from field grey (mainly because I'm getting a bit tired of painting it), so I used Vallejo German Camo Extra Dark Green - mixed with a lot of white it gave a nice reed green colour.

I aim to tackle the gorget next, and the tricky task on trying to paint the 'Feldgendamerie' lettering. Here's a real one:

View attachment 352347

The yellowish colour is actually flourescent paint.

Good luck with that one!

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for looking in chaps. Just spent two hours attempting to paint the gorget. Numerous scrapings and I've ended up with something, though the lettering didn't really work. Pics tomorrow.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great start, and something I can relate to.

I did a darker field grey satin finish on the kradmantel as its a weatherproofed "waxed" finished coat.

The Feldgendamerie gorget I painted using the scale 75 none metallic look paints

Didn't know it was luminescent, but it does make sense, no danger of sniper fire as they would not be on the front line!

Still recovering from enforced gardening over the weekend!

Ended up pruning trees, as requested/demanded by SWMBO!

Still got sore calves and back!

I was hoping to get the paints out this week, as its a weeks ""holiday" some how I doubt it!

Have a good day with the metal paints

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

As Tim says, the luminous paint was probably radioactive. There was a programme on TV about the Radium Dial Company in the US, where the women who painted the luminous numbers on watch faces all died horribly and had to be buried in lead-lined coffins. The bodies are still highly radioactive to this day.

Pray for rain in order to give you some bench time (hopefully there isn't too much about the house that needs doing). My wife's away for a few days and my son's been given orders re the lawn, lucky me.

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

The coat done:

100_5106.JPG100_5107.JPG

Much tougher trying to blend the tones over wider expanses of fabric - difficult to keep everything wet.

I painted and added the gorget last night. There should be luminous lettering on a grey ground, but try as I might, I couldn't get it right, so I've gone for an option I saw on the internet where the paint had worn off - it could happen (!). I'd rather have nothing there than a botched attempt. Another option may be to have his gas mask worn on his chest, as motorcyclists did, which would partially cover the absence of lettering.

Also added the gauntlets, so that all of the bare patches are covered.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A great figure the gas mask looks good in its placing. I saw that program as well or something similar where the women would place the brush between their lips to keep a point for painting.

• Sad
D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Scottie.

Yes, that sounds like the same programme.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great Peter, another one of your excellent works.....
Interesting about the radioactive watch dials as well....when I was a kid my biology teacher had a luminous dial watch that he used to use to test the lab Geiger counter.....

• Wow