Dragon 1/16 German Field Officer

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_6162.JPG

I was thinking about what to do next and suddenly fancied getting back to plastic and 1/16 after the recent run of resin busts I've been working on. I have a few kits in the stash kindly donated by Richard Pearce, and this one seemed to fit the bill. I did make a version of this about six months ago, but I wasn't happy with the result then and hope that this one will turn out better.

Just the one sprue:

100_6163.JPG

Quite cleanly moulded, with no flash and only slightly raised mould lines.

It's now cleaned up, part-built and ready for paint:

100_6169.JPG

As with all Dragon figures, some of the detail was lost during the clean-up process , and I found that some surface detail, like the arm badges, were poorly done and best removed. I should have some etch components for the tank-destroyer's badges somewhere, and things like the lost piping on the cap can simply be painted in.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
A nice change for you. The box art is an artist's painting rather than a photo of the painted figure. Is that usual for plastic figures?
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Will do.

Jim - Tamiya usually put a picture of the painted figure on the back of their boxes, and Dragon do occasionally, but never on the front. I suppose it's the same as with most plastic kits. Miniart are the funniest, with box art that is impossible to replicate with the contents.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Nice to see you still enjoying my oddments mate.Will grab a pew quick before the biccie brigade appear.I have some 120mm etch uniform details in cabinet.I will sort you some out to replace collar patches etc.I wont ever use them.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard

Still got loads of your stuff left, and I feel the need to get back to 1/16 figures, so more on the horizon. I've found the tank destroyer badge etch, so will be able to knock something up.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Seems a nice kit Peter, I rather like the looks of this bloke, he appears to be intent in his purpose.
Rick H.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Rick. I've made all of these Dragon figures, some two or three times. Good value and good sculpts. I think our man must be this chap:

c3b3a00953278cffcdbf62f0205a92f6.jpg6311716851_ef1213c18d_b.jpg

Hauptmann Friedrich Anding who was awarded his knight's cross on 8 May 1945 (VE Day!).

Last edited by a moderator:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, plastic figures have stiff poses and will need a little tweaking here and there to give it a bit of life. The painting will do the other 90%. :smiling2:

Will you be posing the previous figure with this new one when finished?

Cheers,
Richard

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning again Peter

Does the head on this one pass inspection?

Certainly a more action than relaxed pose.

Possibly a group participant or a stand alone?

Looks like you should have a fun day with the paint today

Hopefully no storm Brendan side effects

How is the New Zealand expedition going?

Hopefully your are both surviving being "Home Alone"!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Unfortunately I don't have your modelling skills, otherwise I would have a go at that stiffness. The original is somewhere in the loft, but I may have a photo somewhere.

Steve - The head on this one is excellent, and I've painted it a couple of time before, so I know it should work. The problem will be adjusting back to the smaller scale.

Katherine's having a great time in NZ - back and forth between the north and south islands once already. Owen, myself and Joe (Jack Russell) are enjoying the testosterone rich atmosphere at home. Daughter and baby due again on Wednesday though (daughter booked in for intensive driving instruction course). The peace will endeth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to hear the head is a nice sculpt. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - I've always liked Dragon heads. They're usually very individualistic and have character.

And speaking of which:

100_6178.JPG100_6179.JPG100_6177.JPG

It took me ages to adjust back to the smaller scale, and it really helped when the sun came out briefly while I was paining the eyes. A few tweaks required, but it's more or less there.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Steve

I decided to paint the shoulder boards and collar so that I could fix the head in place:

100_6180.JPG

That'll do for today.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve - I've always liked Dragon heads. They're usually very individualistic and have character.

And speaking of which:

View attachment 369641View attachment 369642View attachment 369643

It took me ages to adjust back to the smaller scale, and it really helped when the sun came out briefly while I was paining the eyes. A few tweaks required, but it's more or less there.
Yes they do have nice heads having painted one in that scale. Looks like you haven't lost your touch adjusting to the smaller scale.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You may well be right Peter. Strong resemblance there. I must say he has a lot of "Intestinal Fortitude" to be out tank hunting with a P.38 and a potato masher!...must be in the "Master Class" lol:smiling3:
Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
You've come down in scale but the face is still superb. Certainly belies the smaller size.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Rick - You can see he's giving instruction on where to stick a magnetic mine on a T34 in the pictures. I might have one somewhere that I can give him, or I may put a Panzerfaust across his back.

Ralph - Thank you sir.

Jim - Thanks. It's really tough realising that you can't get the same detail at this scale and that it will take the painting of the whole figure to bring it together.

• Sad
Reactions: JR