Dragon - Sd.kfz 251/6 Ausf. C

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
This arrived today. So I'm gonna try to not mess it up too much................ There is a lot of plastic in the box. Some Photo Etch (I'm going to try very hard with this :mad:smiling3: and some figures (I'll try hard with those as well ..... The destructions seem to indicate 6 different versions: 4th / 9th / 11th / 24th / 39th Panzer Divisions and one "Unknown" ???? ......... The colour / cam designs don't really give a lot away. I would like to do a DAK version, but I have no idea right now what the Order of Battle was and which divisions were here .......... So I will need to do some research before I kick off with it........

DSCN2408.JPG

DSCN2409.JPG

DSCN2410.JPG

D

dubster72

Looks like a nice kit Peter, should be a piece of p**s after your 1/76 work!

If you want to avoid the rivet counters clear.png

you'll have to go with the "unknown" markings, because none of the others served in North Africa.

I see a colour modulated 251 in German Grey with winter whitewash... ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Looks like a nice kit Peter, should be a piece of p**s after your 1/76 work!
If you want to avoid the rivet counters View attachment 141956 you'll have to go with the "unknown" markings, because none of the others served in North Africa.

I see a colour modulated 251 in German Grey with winter whitewash... ;)
Yes after the Opel Blitz it's huge......... I did look up the OOB for DAK and you are right. I suppose I could get some aftermarket decals but I think it'll be easiaer just to go with the "unknown" ............ and I'm sure somewhere I have some of the "Palm Tree" DAK decals.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Mmmmmm, these look so sexy in grey.........
Just plain "Field Grey" ? ........... I was hoping to try my hand at a camo pattern.

First Name
Aaron
You will need a big spares bin, I agree with a winter wash over panzer grey looking good. I'm also a fan of the North African vehicles.

D

dubster72

\ said:
Just plain "Field Grey" ? ........... I was hoping to try my hand at a camo pattern.
Plain!! Not if you did it in colour modulation, then it's much more interesting ;)

Anyways, DAK vehicles were usually tan over German Grey, so there's not much scope for camo.

How's about Kursk 1943? Dunkelgelb with olivgrün & rötbrun is always a favourite

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Plain!! Not if you did it in colour modulation, then it's much more interesting ;)
Anyways, DAK vehicles were usually tan over German Grey, so there's not much scope for camo.

How's about Kursk 1943? Dunkelgelb with olivgrün & rötbrun is always a favourite
Now there's something to mull over.....

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Yes after the Opel Blitz it's huge......... I did look up the OOB for DAK and you are right. I suppose I could get some aftermarket decals but I think it'll be easiaer just to go with the "unknown" ............ and I'm sure somewhere I have some of the "Palm Tree" DAK decals.
I've got a few of the palm trees ( DAK) I'll put in the post if you want em

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
I've got a few of the palm trees ( DAK) I'll put in the post if you want em
That'd be great Robert....... but hold fire. I'm not sure yet what version I am going to do.

First Name
Robert
\ said:
That'd be great Robert....... but hold fire. I'm not sure yet what version I am going to do.
Well you know where you can get them from if you need :P

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Well you know where you can get them from if you need :P
Thanks mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks nice Peter,will be watching this one,do agree with Patrick for thri color camo , Kursk,

or for North African vehicles,desert yellow over gray,but very worn in the most used areas,would look nice as well, ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
looks nice Peter,will be watching this one,do agree with Patrick for thri color camo , Kursk,
or for North African vehicles,desert yellow over gray,but very worn in the most used areas,would look nice as well, ;)
I'm not sure yet..... I reckon I could cope with the three colour and still achieve a soft edge with my brushes and bits of sponge:smiling3:...... I don't use an airbrush..... It just takes a while and a bit of patience.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
understand were your coming from,

I do lay down all my base work with the AB,the color and shading,then come back over with as your said

brush and sponges,to give it that look of ware or hashish ,whiich for me can only be done by hand,I like to always

try some think new or an idea that's popped in my head,

will real be looking forward to see what you do with it, ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Well I've made a start. Nothing too auspicious or worth a photo yet. Sent this afternoon cleaning up some teeny tiny suspension parts and fitting them together........ Which leads me to the Destructions ? Yesterday I went through them several times, trying to make some sense of the workflow....... and, they are crap. As I said I've put together a bit of the suspension. There is an arm with a fork in the end that I reckon must have a use and should fit to something when this little assembly goes on the hull...... There is nothing in the Destructions or anything that I can see on the parts that go with or over it...... in which case it's pointless........ I think this'll be a mission with a lot of dry fitting.:confused:

D

dubster72

Peter, the first thing to do with Dragon instructions is to check the unused parts. Usually they're marked in blue on the sprue map.

Before commencing a build I snip them off & pop them into the spares box.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I do find the same think with some of the dragon instructions,not being clear,

so if i,get stuck i google a build,and try ,to see were things are ment to go, ;)

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Peter, the first thing to do with Dragon instructions is to check the unused parts. Usually they're marked in blue on the sprue map.
Before commencing a build I snip them off & pop them into the spares box.
Good idea Patrick. I'll do that.