Dzhon Race. TIGER 1 Tamiya 1/35

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John.

Obviously I'm no help at all with the technical questions but it seems to be coming together nicely.
Thanks Andy, I see Mr Jones has arrived.
Only one thing I can understand, where to fit the two rear smoke ? or mine hurlers. Can't see anywhere they should go on the corners. These at the front went on ok, but had more trouble trying to line them up for fitting as I could not judge the depth, after several attempts they went on. A good thing I had some slow setting glue.

If you are talking about the smoke grenade launchers F40 and F38 mate they go on like this

View attachment 359597View attachment 359598View attachment 359599

Defo paint the wheels and tyres first before adding them to the finished build

As for the air filters on the back, you should have a bracket to hold them together like this

View attachment 359600

Off to a nice start mate. Well done

Thanks Steve, sorry not those, I shall take a photo of the drawing in the morning and post.
Yes thanks for the photo of the air cleaner hose, I'll attempt to rectify tomorrow, but used CA to hold those material lengths on. Just looking at that photo I had another with the two supports holding the pipes in place, but appear not to have saved it !

John.

First Name
Wouter
Oh, did I hear the word Tiger? I think I did :nerd:

Count me in John, can't go wrong with a Tiggy...so to speak :D

Nice start.

About the rear minenwerfers: they sit on a small extruding platform in the corners of the rear hull, like on the photo's of my last built Tiger I.
Kursk Tiger (20).jpg
Kursk Tiger (30).jpg

edit: Just read you are building '332'...that's the one in my example. Good choice. This Tiger has some particular features like custom made brackets on the right side panel of the hull. 5 in total. These had some U or L shaped holders attached to them which could hold ditching beams.
Kursk Tiger (7).jpg
Looking forward to the progress Herr Race ^^

Cheers

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Mr R,

Well that was really quick!! Again a testimony of Tamiya’s ability to produce kits that are straightforward and enjoyable OOB!

I see Wouter has pointed out the placement of the rear mine launchers, took me a while to work it out too!!

Glad your enjoying you adventures in the German stuff:smiling4:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Seems to be going slightly better than the Parc kits John - good progress :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh, did I hear the word Tiger? I think I did :nerd:

Count me in John, can't go wrong with a Tiggy...so to speak :D

Nice start.

About the rear minenwerfers: they sit on a small extruding platform in the corners of the rear hull, like on the photo's of my last built Tiger I.
View attachment 359624
View attachment 359625

edit: Just read you are building '332'...that's the one in my example. Good choice. This Tiger has some particular features like custom made brackets on the right side panel of the hull. 5 in total. These had some U or L shaped holders attached to them which could hold ditching beams.
View attachment 359626
Looking forward to the progress Herr Race ^^

Cheers
Wouter thank you, nice model as well , no PE with mine as we just don't get on:disappointed:.

Morning Mr R,

Well that was really quick!! Again a testimony of Tamiya’s ability to produce kits that are straightforward and enjoyable OOB!

I see Wouter has pointed out the placement of the rear mine launchers, took me a while to work it out too!!

Glad your enjoying you adventures in the German stuff:smiling4:

Well I hold you and Mr Jones fully responsible for this incursion into the world of German technical bambooslement ! Bloody wheels, I've put them all into separate containers with the no's on. I remember building the Sturm so I can always have a look:surprised::nerd:. Yes the Tamiya kit is so well made, don't think they have ever heard of flash

Not a tin of green paint!!

Good work John, look forward to the next step

Next stop in your conversion to german armour is of course the one and only the Stug!!

Ha unfortunate as it is in not having 4BO I have a bottle close by Bob, just in case I suffer from withdrawal symptoms, bit like you feel when away from a StuG.
Talking of which I have 2, yes 2 in my stash, I built one before in the " the other house " and never heard the end of it as fitted the wrong barrel. I was so traumatised that if put me off building German Armour .

taking second row seat... sorry I'm a bit late... lately.. :smiling6::smiling6::smiling6::smiling6:
Hi Greg, ask Si for some cake , Mr Jones is in charge of the tea urn.

Nothing done yet, had one of those nights, got up at 0300 , had a shower and went down stairs , tea and TV until 0630. Of course went back to bed , slept like a log, but still feel tired.

ZZZzzz

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking forward to this one John ..as a recent convert to things with wheels!! Jason
Hi Jason, wheels, far too many, no wonder they were prone to breaking down ( that will get them going , just watch.:smiling3: "

Seems to be going slightly better than the Parc kits John - good progress :smiling3:

God can you imagine trying to build one by them Simon:smiling::smiling:

John.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John you are making great progress with this. Are you not worried that your armoured comrades will be upset by you changing sides.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR, I can't wait till you get to the dunkelgelb! Or will it be gray
Cheers, Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'd better watch this - I have the Tamiya 1/48 Tiger waiting its turn.
Pete
Pete, I don't know if you should watch, unless its a how not to build it. Really has been fun, apart from all the wheels , which are rather confusing. Doing some Friul Tracks as I can do them easily.

JR, I can't wait till you get to the dunkelgelb! Or will it be gray
Cheers, Rick H.

Rick hi , well I think the experts have suggested the dunkelgelb, I could stick the yellow scatter on it as well ! Personally I'd prefer grey.

Not bad afternoon, thanks to several of you Pete and Wouter and Si I've managed to fit those mine launchers on the rear in the correct position.
Build is complete, just painting next, wheels to be fitted, decals then tools fitted. Once that is done and the weathering applied its the tracks.
I've done one bag of 105 x two sets of holes checked, a few had to re drilled the rest just a quick push through. These tracks have come weathered and look very good.

TIGER BUILD  2019.jpg

Only have the turret smoke launcher on one side, can't find anywhere the base to mount the tubes on.Looked in the box, floor, apron, no where. Just the main brkt in on.

TIGER BUILD  2019_2.jpg

Think the colour looks good on these.

Tomorrow afternoon will be the tracks.

Thanks for looking in,
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
If you want to paint it gray you paint it gray mate. It is indeed high probability that it was Dunkelgelb but the experts once said the earth was flat. There are arguments on both sides. Here is a photo of your tank coloured in. Obviously this guy thought it was gray :smiling5: :cool::thumb2:

81c79084f9df9c972099755f2c519fd6.jpg

Terrific build by the way. The tracks have come out really well. Now have I told you what colour they should be?:smiling5::smiling::smiling6::smiling5::smiling5:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If you want to paint it gray you paint it gray mate. It is indeed high probability that it was Dunkelgelb but the experts once said the earth was flat. There are arguments on both sides. Here is a photo of your tank coloured in. Obviously this guy thought it was gray :smiling5: :cool::thumb2:

View attachment 359688

Terrific build by the way. The tracks have come out really well. Now have I told you what colour they should be?:smiling5::smiling::smiling6::smiling5::smiling5:
That is a beautiful photo Steve.
Thanks for the comment,Joking apart I have some Dunkelgelb light and dark base along with the primer. Please do sat about the tracks, I had thoughts on a 3 part brown camo pattern. :nerd:

First Name
Wouter

View attachment 359688

Actually theres quite strong arguments against dunkelgrau and many in favor of dunkelgelb. When I m home from I ll check the article I wrote for milmod in which I narrowed down the production date of 332. But as steve says: if you prefer to paint it grey, just do it. It s your build after all ^^
Pitty the carpet or cardboard box monster ate one of your brackets

Cheers

Cheers