Dzhon Race. TIGER 1 Tamiya 1/35

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you want to paint it gray you paint it gray mate.
+1
Here is a photo of your tank coloured in. Obviously this guy thought it was gray :smiling5: :cool::thumb2:
It’s always fun (for a given definition of “fun”) to watch those coloured-in documentaries about the war and trying to spot in how many sequences the colours are wrong. I remember watching one about the Normandy campaign, showing a column of German vehicles in a French town all in overall dark yellow — except the vehicles and soldiers looked very 1940, not 1944 …

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Jakko makes a very valid point JR. Just because it is a color photograph doesn't mean it is accurate. But by all means, do what your insides tell you and forget the rest. Now what shade of dunkelgelb were you planning on using?:tongue-out::tongue-out3:

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
How about the song, "I've Got a Tiger By the Tail...getting my hat and coat!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'LL be following your build John have always liked the tiger
chris
Welcome Chris.
Jakko makes a very valid point JR. Just because it is a color photograph doesn't mean it is accurate. But by all means, do what your insides tell you and forget the rest. Now what shade of dunkelgelb were you planning on using?:tongue-out::tongue-out3:
Rick should I do one side grey and the other Dunkle what ever it is :smiling3::smiling3:.

Jim........... " Are you serious " :smiling2::smiling2:.

^^^ Nice!

Anyone remember the old ESSO adverts?

Put a tiger on your tank :smiling5:

:smiling:.

How about the song, "I've Got a Tiger By the Tail...getting my hat and coat!

Rick , Matron is flying out tonight.:tongue-out3::tongue-out3:

Tiger in the tank??? No far too young you know, can just about remember the telly tubbys :upside:

Pigs can fly as well :upside:.

Nothing much build wise to report, wheels all cleaned with IPA ready for some primer.

Top Man Steve has come to the rescue and it very kindly sending me the missing brkt.

Further up dates tomorrow.
Like the banter, thanks.
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just as I was about to hurl the primer I thought I would check out these wheels.
Found this site, now I suspect that many of you have it booked, Steve has it as wall paper in his cave.

one of the drawings was very helpful, in fact I shall print it off. Of course I realise this is a Tiger 1 and later the configuration changed.

1570701141446.png

Of course this is for discussion only.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John - link seems to have gone a bit wonky, too many http's

This should work:

Tiger Info
Thanks Simon, it was there ! well when I attempted to copy and paste it was.:smiling2::smiling2:.

Not bad afternoon, decided to clean out the tank on the ultrasonic cleaner, my word enough paint pigment in the bottom to paint a complete model.
Any way that's all sparkling and clean.

did the wheels forst, they are lighter than the photos show, these were taken out side late afternoon.

TIGER BUILD  2019.jpg

TIGER BUILD  2019_12.jpg

TIGER BUILD  2019_3_2.jpg

TIGER BUILD  2019_4_2.jpg

TIGER BUILD  2019_5.jpg

Track assembly progressing.
TIGER BUILD  2019_8.jpg

TIGER BUILD  2019_11.jpg

Fits the drive sprocket ok.

Now much time and design this afternoon at the Race Towers technical dept.

TIGER BUILD  2019_7.jpg

Yes a precision made jig, 24 mm depth hole drilled with a 2.5 mm drill. Fully recyclable timber base adds to this must have item.
Later a modified version was issued with a 10 hole pattern, thus time saving on each turn to drop out the cut wire.

TIGER BUILD  2019_6.jpg

Orders have flooded in from Kazakhstan, always first to spot a labour saving device.
At the present available in very few outlets here in the UK.

Available from The Stalingrad Building Co.
Modelling Dept.

Also to day with the chance of knocking over VMS glue bottles I came up with the Glass holder, spot of clear adhesive in the base . Voilah a stable bottle. :nerd:

TIGER BUILD  2019_9.jpg

Comment welcome, I expect abuse anyway from a certain quarter anyway. :smiling3::smiling3:

John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This one as well for Alan Hamby

HERE

P.S Wallpaper in loo as well
Thanks Steve.
That's it, no wonder I couldn't get it, you had it. As for the wall paper in the loo I wouldn't be surprised.
I'm looking for a T34 duvet cover, Christine would just love that ...................... not :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Paintwork looking great John.

Like your bottle holder idea. I have loads of MDF & OSB offcuts in the shed. With a mixture of spade bits I've made all kinds of things to stop me knocking over my various potions, and even one that holds the oilbrushers upright so I can have a selection open and only need one hand to dip the brush in and out.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Funny you should say that John......

DUVET

Simon .
Great find .Oh wow, now that's fantastic, but pricey at £ 112, plus import duty no doubt.
Will show it to Christine !!!!! .
Paintwork looking great John.

Like your bottle holder idea. I have loads of MDF & OSB offcuts in the shed. With a mixture of spade bits I've made all kinds of things to stop me knocking over my various potions, and even one that holds the oilbrushers upright so I can have a selection open and only need one hand to dip the brush in and out.

Thanks Andy, I've knocked over two Tamiya bottles in the past, that was enough. The Tamiya bottles now jammed into a coffee jar lid. I could see the VMS going over even easier.
Yes need something other than a mug for the oil brushers, like the sound of your idea.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening comrade Race,

Thats a lot of very nice progress! Paintwork looks good to me:thumb2:

I’ll have to try some fruils one day as they look the business. I like your glue Pots......I am also guilty of knocking over my glue more than once..... but I spilt mine into a pile of track pieces :tired:....a complete nightmare!

Good to see your enjoying this build still:cool:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I just stick the bottle onto a lump of blue tac on the bench top.....works fine and can be swapped out for the next bottle in a few seconds....when in use I keep my needle files upright in a scrap of MDF with suitable holes drilled in it though.....
Tig is going well, by the way.....looking forward to seeing it develop....