Eduard 1/48 Bf 110E

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A lot of this will be bread & butter to many of you guys but for someone at my level it's been very fiddly so far, so I'm going to make a big deal out of it :smiling5:

Cockpit went together well but the individual control levers were a wrestle. I also lost one part after it went supersonic from my tweezers, so scratched something similar. Some form of canister with a hose coming out of it.

View attachment 495194

Then I folded up a couple of small boxes for the IP and side wall, to have painted etch pieces added later.

Not great but the best I could manage.

View attachment 495195

View attachment 495196

View attachment 495197

The ammo drums needed some etch adding too. Some are a bit wonky but I amazed myself by actually managing to fit them all!

The kit does provide plastic parts & decals as an alternative to most of them, so that's a fallback plan.
I was admiring the well weathered tank tracks lol

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That’s a shame. It’s really unusual for Eduard to have that kind of problem. I’m sure they would be willing to post you out some trees for compensation

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ok Andy, I'm still trying to ketchup with the other 15 builds you've been doing and here you go starting another one...And a really cool wing thingy one too!!! I'm having trouble doing etch in 1/35, for my Kübelwagen and you're knocking it out like nothing, in 1/48!!! Respect Sir!!! That IP also came out really, really nice.....

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen. Most of the etch isn't as well executed as I'd like but I hope to get better with practice, and there's plenty more to go at in the box.

Hells Bells mate I couldn't even see it that well with my one good eye. Starting to look great .
Ha, I was struggling with two John, and it was pinging all over the desk at the slightest touch :smiling5:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Wrestled some of the etch dials into the sides of the fuselage:

2023-11-14 18.59.21.jpg

And some more above the gunners area. The decals for the radio gear etc looked cartoon-ish so I removed them and did a bit of painting / dry brushing instead:

2023-11-14 18.59.56.jpg

IP and twiddly stick were added in the office and the seat belts were constructed & fitted:

2023-11-14 19.02.12.jpg

I'll throw some muck & dust around then this can be closed up and hope it still fits in the fuselage.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Wrestled some of the etch dials into the sides of the fuselage:

View attachment 495368

And some more above the gunners area. The decals for the radio gear etc looked cartoon-ish so I removed them and did a bit of painting / dry brushing instead:

View attachment 495369

IP and twiddly stick were added in the office and the seat belts were constructed & fitted:

View attachment 495370

I'll throw some muck & dust around then this can be closed up and hope it still fits in the fuselage.
That's looking excellent Andy,nice one :thumb2:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That’s a shame. It’s really unusual for Eduard to have that kind of problem. I’m sure they would be willing to post you out some trees for compensation
And maybe even a Christmas tree

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Probably the best view you'll get of the cockpit tub in place. It all fits together very nicely indeed:

1000005310.jpg

For those that may build this kit in the future there seems to be a mounting point for another magazine under the radio gear, very visible here. However there's no mention in the instructions nor is there a spare one on the sprue, so the more conscientious of you may want to fill it before painting. Part C18.

I might hide it with the pilots lunchbox and flask of tea or something lol

And here it is all closed up:

1000005311.jpg

It'll definitely need some filler around the back of the cockpit, near the rear MG mount, but with any luck some sanding & rescribing might suffice for the main seams. I chamfered the mating surfaces ever so slightly to ensure the outer, visible part met first, squishing out a bit of molten plastic as the halves were pressed together. Seems to have helped but we'll see once it's dry. I've brought it into the house as it was 9°C in the shed and set to drop overnight.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
By eck! My first time with an Eduard kit and it's not exactly turning me into a fan! :tears-of-joy:

I'm hoping it's just a Friday afternoon kit though so won't judge the brand on this one build. In fact I've ordered the 1/72 version as I'm feeling a bit masochistic lol

This was the result of gluing the halves together. Nice squeeze out along the main seam that ultimately sanded down sweetly, but that huge step at the rear of the cockpit has taken many rounds of filler. I'm not sure why they bothered adding surface detail around here as it's all had to be sanded away:

1000005348.jpg

On the plus side it's giving me plenty of practice at scribing panel lines. I've never been very good at it but I'll have a few miles under my belt after this kit:

1000005347.jpg

Rivet lines still to do.

The front gun bay was a disaster of poorly moulded parts but thankfully it'll never be seen. Because of that I've snipped off the MG's so I don't have to deal with them poking out and getting snapped off while painting.

I've added & drilled some thick card so that I can (hopefully) thread them back in after paint:

1000005342.jpg

1000005343.jpg

And this is the best fit I could get on the nose section, even after an hour or so of trimming the flash & poor moulding from the inside. It wouldn't even have connected to the fuselage straight off the sprue.

There's some sprue goo filling the worst of the gaps and I'll see what it looks like in the morning:

1000005345.jpg

1000005349.jpg

So definitely not the kind of modelling that I'm used to, but at least it's keeping me occupied for longer than normal :smiling3:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Andy, it looks like this one is putting up a bit of a fight...As for the fit probs, it might be that the molds for their 110 series of planes are kind of old and maybe worn a little. They have made quite a few different versions and re-packs of it...

I am glad it is keeping you occupied longer too Sir! Gives me a chance to keep up with your great work and not always falling behind on your builds...

Prost
Allen

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for having confidence in me chaps. There's a ton of detail that's been lost on the underside too. Time to test out my scribing game. Or a ditched diorama maybe? :tears-of-joy:

One reason for ordering the 1/72 is that it's a newer mould so will hopefully be a better experience. Although to be fair I've done 70's Tamiya kits that fitted together better than this lol.