ESCI 1/48 Henschel HS 129

First Name
Dave
View attachment 36412View attachment 36413View attachment 36414View attachment 36415View attachment 36416

Picked this up for a tenner at the Telford show last Saturday.As you can see from the catalogue included in the kit it dates from 1977.In fact i made one of these in the early eighties.Its a pretty basic kit with raised detail.I've made a start on the wings removing the raised lines and scribing new detail.Also had to fill a few sink marks.The cockpit is pretty basic but an instrument panel decal is included and i shall add some seat belts.Last time i built this with the 75mm big gun.But this time im doing the R2 version with a BK 3.7 anti tank gun under the fuselage and a small bomb under each wing

View attachment 40667

View attachment 40668

View attachment 40669

View attachment 40670

View attachment 40671

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice one Dave,

You know the WW2 German aircraft producers seem to have a talent for making really elegent or really ugly planes.

No offense, but in my opinion this is the latter.

Still, I can't talk, I just bought an Arado 240C.

By the way, are those the scribing guides you told us about in another thread.

Mmmm, interesting, and santa's coming too. :write:

Tony.

First Name
Dave
Yes.They are brass scribing templates i bought several years ago.Ive got a Tamiya scribing tool but it tends to make deep wide lines if your not very careful with it.On this model im using a needle held in a pin vice.You have to be realy heavy handed to scribe too deep with that.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
German aircraft producers seem to have a talent for making really elegent or really ugly planes.
Functional Tony,functional. I think that's the word you were looking for :cheesygrin:

Nice choice Dave,I'm sure you'll make another top job of this one.

Cheers

Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I built the Hasegawa B2 version of this kit on here not so long ago. Love the looks of it. It's the A-10 of it's day

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice start Dave panel lines looking good and i think it looks a little like the british beaufighter ( spelling )

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Sorry Steve, but like Allyne says A warthog is still a warthog:laughing:

Tony

T

treyzx10r

Great start Dave,My hats off to you tackling a rescribe job like this. I've got the same kit in the stash but the rescribe dreads have kept me pushing it back to the bottom of the pile! Watching this might motivate me to give it a go,looking forward to more!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice to see an old esci coming to life dave, Youre a braver man than me ,doing a full rescribe!!! cheers tony

First Name
Dave
View attachment 36863View attachment 36864View attachment 36865View attachment 36866View attachment 36867

Got out of hospital yesterday evening and have been signed off work for two weeks.Ive been told to relax and avoid physical exertion.So i figured two weeks of model making is just the job.As you can see in the first photo, my carer is making sure i don't over do it!.The cockpit is not bad for a kit from the 70's.But is pretty basic by todays standards.All ive done is add some Eduard prepainted seat belts.The kit instrument decal is the wrong colour but ive used it because it will be hard to see on the finished model anyway.The right (starboard) fuselage half is a bit distorted along the bottom edge .So i've glued a strip of thick plastic card to it.Now i've glued the two halves together and the fit is much better

View attachment 41079

View attachment 41080

View attachment 41081

View attachment 41082

View attachment 41083

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good so far Dave hope you get well soon ( but still have the 2 weeks off ) And i'm sure your carer will look after you right

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking nice Dave.

Good idea with the plasicard.

Hope you get well soon, two weeks relaxed modelling should be just the job.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Great progress Dave, I'm going to reference your build when I start mine if you do'nt mind.Nice fix on the fuse !

First Name
Dave
No problem Trey.Not a lot of parts to this kit.The instrument panel coud do with being replaced.I spent time on my Stuka making up a panel with individual instrument decals.Then found with a closed canopy they cant be seen!.So i havent bothered on this one.The cockpits tiny,even in this scale.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Dave its always nice to have someone on point with a build ,really helps avoiding the little things that usually catch me out.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 36915View attachment 36916View attachment 36917View attachment 36918

I've put the fuselage halves together and the join isnt brilliant.The plastic is very hard and i've had to use 150 grade wet and dry on it.Don't normally use sand paper that course on my models.Havent used this much squadron green filler since i built a vacform kit!.But it will be fine when its been rubbed down and polished with a sanding sponge.

View attachment 41129

View attachment 41130

View attachment 41131

View attachment 41132

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

First Name
Dave
View attachment 36955View attachment 36956View attachment 36957View attachment 36958View attachment 36960

A bit more progress made.Wings,tailplanes and engine nacelles fitted.I've had a couple of go's at filling the bad fuselage joins.Hopefully when i've primed the model it won't show up many areas that need more filler.I've also filled in some of my slip ups with the scribing.The last photo shows the tools i use to scribe detail.Still got some scribing to do.It would have been easier to do if i had left the wings and tail off.I may be 53,but im a big kid and couldnt wait to see what the assembled model looked like!.I've also assembled the engines.As you can see these are pretty basic.The slot in the fuselage underside is covered by the gun fairing.But the gaps in front of the ailerons will need some work

View attachment 41164

View attachment 41165

View attachment 41166

View attachment 41167

View attachment 41169

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
4th round, and I reckon youre winning on points dave. Youve certainly given it a good bashing so far, keep it up mate! The engines look fine to me , there wont be much of them visible when the spinners go on will there? BTW , john sells Green putty if youre a bit low !!!LOL!!! cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Thanks Tony.Actually i enjoy the filling and sanding more than fine detail work.Super detailing cockpits isnt my strong point.And i cant see the point in all that detail if i cant see it.Lifes too short and there are loads of models i want to build!.Still got 10 days off after my op.So hope to have this one finished before i go back to work.

J

John Huggins

Hi Dave nice start,

I know what u mean about the cockpit detail i to dont see the point unless like the Heinkel i am building the cockpit glass takes up the hole of the front end of the plane, then i will give it a go, i love all the filling & stuff.

Keeping an eye on this one.

John