ESCI 1/48 Henschel HS 129

First Name
Dave
Thanks John.I Built the Revell 1\32 JU88 last year.Spent a couple of weeks on the cockpit because its visible on the finished build.Generally i just add seat belts because they are the most visible thing through a closed canopy.Especially on something as small as this henschel.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 37016View attachment 37017View attachment 37018

I've dipped the canopy in Kleer and masked it with Tamiya tape.This has got to be the easiest canopy mask ever.Only 4 panes to cover.The engine cowlings needed a bit of filling and sanding.Then i scribed the panel lines on them.I have now finished all the scribing i intend doing on the model and have glued the engines onto the wings.There were no locating points or tabs for these.So it was a case of lining them up by eye with reference to photos of the real aircraft.Need to give the model a polish with a fine sanding sponge to get rid of scratches.Then i will give it a wash,fit a few small parts and its on to the priming stage.

View attachment 41225

View attachment 41226

View attachment 41227

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

J

John Huggins

Looking good Dave, looking good.

Im watching with interest & learning plenty, im not looking forward to doing my cockpit glass there are 32 windows (Bummer).

Keep up the good work.

John

First Name
Dave
Thanks John.Its coming on a pace now.Nice to have plenty of modelling time for a change.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 37174

Not a lot of progress as its been bloody cold in the shed these past few days.Got some primer on and a first coat of RLM04 yellow on the nose,rear fuselage and undersides of wing tips.Will put another coat of yellow on this afternoon.Then tomorrow i will mask the yellow areas and spray the underside RLM65 colour.

View attachment 41382

IMG_1023.jpg

J

John Huggins

Looking good Dave, cant wait to see the end product.

John

First Name
Dave
View attachment 37206View attachment 37207

The weather is quite mild today down here in Essex.So i've been able to mask off the Yellow areas and spray on a coat of RLM65 Xtracolour enamel.Will leave it an hour or so and apply another coat.These may be gloss enamel paints but they dry pretty quick.Even so,i will wait till tomorrow to mask off the undersides and start on the upper surface camouflage colours.

View attachment 41407

View attachment 41408

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

J

John Huggins

Looking very nice Dave, should look cool when finished.

Have fun

John

First Name
Dave
Going to use the kit decals.Should be ok if im careful with them.I've got plenty of swastika's and crosses on other sheets if i neen them.Im hoping the infantry badge for the nose goes on ok,the rest i can replace.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 37276

I masked the underside of the model this morning.Then i decided to put a coat of RLM71 Dunkelgrun on.I had some of my usual Xtracolour paint pre-thinned in a tinlet.When i loaded up my airbrush and tried to spray it the brush clogged up.I cleaned the airbrush and tried again,but with the same result.So i ran out of paint.I looked on 'Angelfire.com' which is a Humbrol paint reference table.It gives Humbrol no.30 as an equivalent of RLM71.As i have two tins of the stuff i sprayed some on the model.I have to say im not sure about this colour.Especially as i used to use it years ago as RAF Dark Green for Lancasters and the like!.My local hobby shop stocks Vallejo paints.So i might try to find a shade that is closer to RLM71.

View attachment 41469

IMG_1040.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi dave , irrespective of whether the colour is right ,it looks great so far. Im sure steve will be along soon with some paint advice, im afraid im not the best person to offer any sort of opinion on luftwaffe stuff , any that i do i just get the xtracrylix rlm no. paint and blast it on and trust that they know their stuff!! cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Tony.i normally use Xtracolour enamels for Luftwaffe paints and their Rlm71 is darker and a different green to the Humbrol product.Although i may leave it as it is because im itching to start my Zero!.

T

treyzx10r

Dave it does look a tad too vibrant of a green tint, but hey its still a great looking build and with the other color, decals and weathering bet most would'nt be able to call it off at all.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 37311View attachment 37312

I was going to go with the Humbrol no.30 green.But after seeing the shade that Vallejo call RLM71 i wasnt happy with it.So i went up town this morning and got some Vallejo.The shop had sold out in the normal Vallejo range,so i had to buy the Vallejo model air equivalent.I found the model air code by looking it up on an iphone app suggested by Scuff this morning (thanks again scuff).As i wouldnt be able to spray the Schwarzgrun enamel paint i already had over the top of the Vallejo acrylic,I got some Vallejo Schwarzgrun as well.In the first photo the right wing is in the humbrol colour and the rest of the model is the Vallejo paint.Quite a difference in colour.Not sure how long to leave it to dry before masking off the camouflage pattern.So i will treat it like enamel and leave it a day at least.I've only used Vallejo clear varnishes before which are superb.After using the Dunkelgrun i can see what all the fuss is about.So easy to use and gives a superb finish.I was able to clean the airbrush with water as well.Definately getting some more.Time i fazed out the enamels anyway

View attachment 41502

View attachment 41503

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

First Name
Dave
View attachment 37365View attachment 37366View attachment 37367View attachment 37368View attachment 37369

After leaving the Dunkelgrun for 24hours i tinight masked off the camouflage patern.I then sprayed on Vallejo Air Schwarzgrun Taking care to spray away from the tape edges rather than against then.This way i shouldnt get a ridge of paint between the two colours.I then removed all masking from the model.And im very pleased with the results.Just need to give the upper surfaces a couple of coats of Kleer before applying decals.

View attachment 41553

View attachment 41554

View attachment 41555

View attachment 41556

View attachment 41557

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

AlanG

Staff member