Eye Deep In Hell

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Dependence upon Espre De Corps and cavalry charges with the cold steel of the sabre was all that was needed to rout the Hun
I still shudder at the thought that anyone in the 20th century thought this might work - shocking!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
I still shudder at the thought that anyone in the 20th century thought this might work - shocking!
Have read quite extensively on "The Great War" The stubbornness of the higher ups was astounding when you consider that the cost in human life and suffering was so high. So tied to tradition they were that the most awful debacles were repeated over and over. The "tank" was thought of as a novelty and a waste of good warm bodies that could be flung onto the wire and slaughtered by murderous machine gun and artillery fire. While the generals wined and dined on the finest food and drink, smoked big cigars and had their choice of the "ladies" many miles behind the lines in their commandeered hotels, castles and palaces, the poor "sub-rankers" waited at the front in their cold, wet and hungered state for their chance at "glory" which usually ended face down bleeding to death in the foul slime of no-mans-land:sad:.................Cheers, Jim:smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Bit more work done, shell hole casualty was going to be in water filled crater but the damn urethane keeps leaking through so I guess I'll have to make him in a muddy hole. Beginning to lay down color but it will take many layers and many hours:oops: but I'll muddle through...................................Jim:smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
OOPS:rolleyes: forgot to post pics:confused: and please let's take a mo for poor Fritz, he tried to make it back to his trench but was hit by a burst of machinegun fire which instantly gutted him and severed his right leg at the knee:eek::oops: poor fellow:D.............Jim:smiling3:
Too graphic? If so I apologise:oops:

J

John Rixon

Is that your regular workspace Jim? I had visions of a big ole barn out back, with a huge bench!!! And no, not too graphic, a quiet reminder of what these things we build did to soft squidgy bodies.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Is that your regular workspace Jim? I had visions of a big ole barn out back, with a huge bench!!! And no, not too graphic, a quiet reminder of what these things we build did to soft squidgy bodies.
You know what they say-- "less is more" quite a comfortable little nook, climate controlled and near the fridge, besides have a walk in closet to store the stash etc... Things should start moving along with this one, won't be too long now. Thanks for your kind attention Jim:smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Oh well, guess I'll lay off posting my in progress thread for a while ,knew I would start boring eventually. Don't want to clog the site for others, when I finish I may post project as completed

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
lov it Jim,and for me no way to graphic, :D

I like to show things the way they were and that's all part of what we do,

I step on more toes than you ever will,and I do know a few are not conformable with it,

but that,s a difference stories,:rolleyes:

keep up the good work, ;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
lov it Jim,and for me no way to graphic, :D
I like to show things the way they were and that's all part of what we do,

I step on more toes than you ever will,and I do know a few are not conformable with it,

but that,s a difference stories,:rolleyes:

keep up the good work, ;)
Thank you so much Monica, maybe my " rough and tumble' style doesn't go over well with our more refined friends, just don't know how to be anyone else but me

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Thank you so much Monica, maybe my " rough and tumble' style doesn't go over well with our more refined friends, just don't know how to be anyone else but me
like wise my friend just be you and see things in your eyes is all we can do,

we build not wishing to offend anyone by what we do,

and not everone will see eye to eye on it,all the time, :D

I do enjoy your work and style ;)

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
like wise my friend just be you and see things in your eyes is all we can do,
we build not wishing to offend anyone by what we do,

and not everone will see eye to eye on it,all the time, :D

I do enjoy your work and style ;)
Thank you Monica, I guess I'll post now and then only because you and I enjoy each others work, just that I feel like I'm a "Yank in King Arthurs court" at times, not part of the clique you know:sad:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just caught up Jim some very nice work and already showing the full horror of war a stunning piece so far

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Just caught up Jim some very nice work and already showing the full horror of war a stunning piece so far
Thank you Ian

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Thank you Monica, I guess I'll post now and then only because you and I enjoy each others work, just that I feel like I'm a "Yank in King Arthurs court" at times, not part of the clique you know:sad:
oh lol. :D

I don,t think its all that bad,at times,I think most people do enjoy your work, ;)

and don,t fel like that makes me :sad: as well,you do fit in very well,and your work is liked, :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
"Knew I would start boring eventually."

"I'll post now and then only because you and I enjoy each other's work."

"Yank in King Arthur's Court at times, not part of the clique"

No offence Jim, and I'm not getting into a war of words, but it's not nice and certainly unfair to write such comments......

Consider these random statistics....

Caledonia's Scharnhorst......1st. posted March 6th / 34 comments and 3 'likes'

Grumpa's Eye deep in hell....1st. posted June 20 / 114 comments and 10 'likes'............Doesn't look as though your work is boring and not receiving any attention, does it?

It's not a kind of divine right to receive comments. Most people on here build primarily for their own enjoyment, and by posting the stage builds will hopefully help others. Even those who sit quietly on the side lines, just looking, will pick up tips, just as easily as those who post on the thread. Receiving comments is a nice bonus, but not an absolute necessity in order to continue to post stages of a build......

I'm sure there are plenty of people quietly watching and admiring your work, and rightly so.

As for the members being some sort of clique, you are wrong. We are all good cyber buddies on here, irrespective of skill level. Cliques would not be tolerated by the members, let alone our Admin. and Mods. Remember, we have members scattered all over the world who are happy to just contribute as they see fit. They seem happy enough......

As I wrote above, I'm not getting at you one bit. Just trying to explain why, in my opinion, your 'Quotes' are wrong and unfair.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
War is a grizzly, messy, barbaric business and no one fights fairly or by the "rules", as these are typically created to benefit one side only........

B

Bunkerbarge

To add to Alan's point I think we have all been there when we post something we are pleased with then feel disapointed when we don't see a sudden flood of replies all saying how wonderful it is. As Alan says a lot of members and visitors simply look and maybe learn a bit but don't necessarily feel like writing anything. I think that is normal and we all have to get our heads around it and move on.

I do think the suggestion of any form of clique is simply unfounded as many current and past members around the world would testify. I think we are pretty welcoming here to everyone's levels, tastes and modelling preferences and we see newcomers and experienced modellers alike receiving positive comments and support. Believe me there really are some elitist organisations in the scale model world but I don't think we see that here. To be honest I only ever find myself looking at where members are from when I see comments such as Jim's and tend to simply take people as I read them, probably creating as much of a picture as anything from their avatar.

Hence to me Moni will always be a little German cutie sat on the side of a Panzer. However close or far away from the truth that may be doesn't matter to me!!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Sorry for my bad choice of words and phrasing, was having a very bad day, we've had a death in the family, my nieces son, only 7 weeks old. Services were today, Heart breaking cannot even begin to describe events of late but we must carry on. Don't think I've ever cried before as an adult, not even when I've held a dying friend in my arms. Will try to be back to my old self soon {grains of salt needed} I need the therapy of my modeling. Just was not myself and of course I know I was and am not being shunned in any way....................Sincerely Jim

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Jim, so sorry to hear of such a tragic family loss. I agree that modelling can be a therapy but it will never ease the pain of something like that.