F16C Block 25/32 Falcon- 1/48 Tamiya

C

Caledonia

Hi all, this is my next project, it will be a slow build for reasons given earlier. The kit has 265 Grey parts, 22 clear parts, 8 caps and 5 metal pins. It has three sets of decals and paint options, and the kit is supplied with a clear and tinted canopy which unfortunately have a longitudinal seam. Don't know which variant I am going to build yet.

It will be an OOB build with the exception of a pack of reinforcing plates.

Under, are a few sprue shots, the kit comes with a 16 page instruction book and a fold out paint chart.

This is the last of my Christmas presents from last year, have been wanting to build it for ages, but because of its complexity have been holding back until now, I have had a few challenging builds recently not least the Tornado so I think I am as ready as ever I will be.

Won't be starting for a week or two as I am rather busy just now.

Cheers Derek

p.s. after this I will be doing another dirty swing wing

View attachment 26615

View attachment 26616

View attachment 26617

View attachment 26618

View attachment 26619

View attachment 26620

View attachment 26621

K1-F16C.jpg

K2-F16C.jpg

K3-F16C.jpg

K4-F16C.jpg

K5-F16C.jpg

K6-F16C.jpg

K7-F16C.jpg

F

Fenlander

I bet this is going to be a stunner, you certainly have the knack with these jets, looks quite a complex kit but being Tamiya, I would think it will fit together quite well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one. If you need any extra weapons just say I have loads of them left over from my F-16.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Thanks lads, Reviews I have read give a glowing report on this kit, but then I have read builds in magazines on models I have made, and wonder if it is the same model, just how impartial are these reviews? Having said that my experiences with Tamiya has been good so far. Ian thanks for the offer of missiles, but I think I could start WW3 with those that come with this kit. Cheers Derek

p.s. I think I am going for the 'Red Tail' as I like the range of weapons shown in the photo above

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I loaded mine out with the GBU 12 and 24s too, Do look mean dont they!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Finally got some time to start the kit. The cockpit switch panels are supplied separate from the tub, which I have never seen before. The pilot’s arms and head are loose as you can see which is handy for positioning them. The photo No.6 shows part of the air intake which is also the main undercarriage bay; a surprising amount of ejector pin marks (10) were evident on this part. Fortunately the rest of the kit is free of them as far as I can see. The Wing underside has two insert panels; one fitted perfectly the other needed some minor sanding. The two top halves of the fuselage went together well leaving only a very fine gap which the ‘Plastic Weld’ and good old capillary action filled nicely. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Hi all. apologies, I did post photo's and they were their when I signed out yesterday, but they have since disappeared. Will post them again once John's server problems have been resolved. Cheers Derek

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Glad that its moving along well, Shame about the photos, but I am sure John will get it sorted soon.

Sounds a bit off with all those ejector pin marks, most unlike Tamiya to have that many in a whole kit, let alone one part!!!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

A couple of shots of the F-16's complicated undercarriage gear. Fitted like a glove, beautiful moulding job by Tamiya. The F-16 has a really long intake duct to the engine, which makes it difficult to paint the inside. One trick I tried after reading it in a magazine is to seal off one end and pour the paint in, leave it for 10 minutes and pour the paint back into the jar. It seamed pretty successful. A couple of additional tips is once you mask off the end, seal the masking tape with Maskol or equivalent. When you have poured out the paint, keep rotating the piece for at least 10 minutes so that those last few drops are evenly distributed as they dry. Tamiya XF-2 Flat White was used. Cheers Derek

View attachment 27412

View attachment 27413

View attachment 27414

View attachment 27415

View attachment 27416

View attachment 27417

11-F16.jpg

12-F16.jpg

13-F16.jpg

14-F16.jpg

15-F16.jpg

16-F16.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Top tip that Derek. I painted mine before glueing the half together and then just gave is a blast though after to hide the joint a bit. You way looks much better.

Watching this build I can conclude that the Kinetik kit it 100% the same in the way it goes together. I am almost tempted to say its either a knock off or a rebox!!

An interesting thought for all the super detailers out there. You can actually build all the Gubbins for the intakes and the motors, put the Under carridge on and display it on its own. Not sure what you will do about the actual jet motor though, as the most of it is missing....

Sorry Derek, bit of a high jack there.

Its looking rather good and I am so looking forwards to the next installment.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Derek

Sorry for not catching the thread earlier.

This kit is one I've been eyeing for some time and I'd appreciate your verdict once you've finished it. The fit so far looks flawless and seems to be coming together at a pace. Also, thanks for sharing the tips on painting the inside!

I'd have probably gone with the grey/black tail just because I like the scheme but it'd be a dull ol' world if everyone thought the same! and, like you say, it does have more stores!

Looking forward to the finished Falcon

All the best

Paul

F

Ferrets Bueller

Nice work so far mate, looking good in the cockpit cant wait to see the rest.

C

Caledonia

Thanks lads for your comments, I was also originally going for the grey/black tail, but having recently done a low-viz Eurofighter and Tornado I felt the need for some colour, hence my choice of red tail. Also another main decision maker is the huge amount of stores/fuel tanks the F-16 can carry. I don't like doing missiles normally, a huge amount of work for very little gain, but I'll make an exception in this case.

Not much progress to report this week, still doing the hospital run, so time is limited. I finished the Intake and front undercarriage, finished painted the Intake lip, varnished it, masked it off and fitted the lot to the rest of the Intake trunking. Cheers Derek

View attachment 27565

View attachment 27566

View attachment 27567

17-F16.jpg

18-F16.jpg

19-F16.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Derek

Those undercarriage bays look nice and busy, also I'm well impressed with your masking- very neat! I'd show you a pic of the T-34 I've just masked but you'd probably laugh, the inside of and it's got cotton wool, paper and masking tape everywhere!

When you finish this would it be possible for you to take a pic of all 3 jets together? (although without referring back to the thread I seem to remember that the Tiffy was 1/72?) Anyway it would be good to see them together!

Cheers

Paul

C

Caledonia

Hi Paul, As long as the masking works it does not matter what it looks like, see my Tornado build wheel well masking ( not pretty), used Tape. Aluminium Foil and Maskol. When the tape has to span a gap like the air intake above I find the spray can still get past the tape as the joints cannot be sealed properly even with overlapping, so I have started painting these maskol. I'll do a photo of the low-vis aircraft I have F-15C Eagle 1/48, the Eurofighter 1/72, the Tornado F3 1/48 and the F-16 1/48 above when I'm finished.

Just noticed I hadn't posted a photo of the Decal sheets, so see below. Built the tail and finished the cockpit after my posting on Sunday, see a few shots below, still a few decals to add to the seat. Tamiya have supplied two Cockpit Canopies one clear and one tinted, big problem is they have a longitudinal moulding seam running their full length. I would normally scrape it off and polish it with Brasso and dip in Klear, but since they changed the Brasso formula I cann't use it. Luckily I have a few ideas and a spare canopy to practice on - watch this space as they say. Cheers Derek

View attachment 27598

View attachment 27599

View attachment 27600

View attachment 27601

View attachment 27602

View attachment 27603

View attachment 27604

View attachment 27605

20-F16.jpg

21-F16.jpg

22-F16.jpg

23-F-16.jpg

24-F16.jpg

25-F16.jpg

26-F16.jpg

27-F16.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Derek, I've got the same seam line running down the cockpit of the Eurofighter so I'll be interested to see how you tackle it. I seem to remember Graham successfully deleting the line from his canopy some time ago. I've got some 'Zero' paints rubbing compounds which will probably do the trick.

Pilot looks comfy! That's one hell of a complicated office!

Cheers

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking great Derek. Thats one nice cockpit you have made there!

Dont you just love it when there is a seam line down the middle of canopies. I got rid of mine with a polishing stick from Johns shop, one of those promodeler things. I thought it was a bit pricy for a stick with sandpaper on but was I wronge about that. It is well worth the money. One side of it is so fine corned that you could easily belive it to just be a bit of paper. It removes all the nasties from clear parts with out any problems.

So as the Brasso is now defunked I'm guessing toothpaste maybe?

Ian M

D

djbozz

Have you tried a caravan shop for acrylic window polish, or T-cut its the same as old Brasso

C

Caledonia

Hi Guy's thanks for your comments and suggestions, Ian gets half a coconut. Here is how I have removed the seam. Always support the canopy from the inside to avoid breakage or crazing of the surface.

The first photo shows the seam to be removed, the second photo shows the tools, an X-Acto knife (blunt blade, don't lose so many fingers if they are blunt), toilet roll, strip of Halfords Wet & Dry 1500 Grit (Fine) partially used and a dab of toothpaste. Next photo shows the seam removed by holding the knife blade perpendicular to the seam and scraping gently in sections. Next photo shots the seam sanded, first with a piece of virgin Wet and Dry then a section that has been worn with use. I then rubbed the area with the toothpaste on a piece of toilet tissue, then wiped off the toothpaste and buffed the canopy with toilet tissue for a minute, followed by dusting with an old well washed dry cotton handky. Photo #32 shows the cleaned up seam. Finally I dunked the canopy in Klear, drained it and set it down on kitchen tissue and covered with a plastic lid. Will leave it like that for at least a week before masking and fitting to the aircraft.

Hope this help someone out their. Cheers Derek

View attachment 27606

View attachment 27607

View attachment 27608

View attachment 27609

View attachment 27610

View attachment 27611

View attachment 27612

28-F16.jpg

29-F16.jpg

30-F16.jpg

31-F16.jpg