F16C Block 25/32 Falcon- 1/48 Tamiya

K

Kressy13

Hi Derek.

This is really coming along well. Love your work on the cockpit. I did this kit about a year ago and the fit is almost perfect throughout the whole model. Tamiya really know their stuff. Great work removing that seam from the canopy. Can't tell it was ever their. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see how it turns out.

Cheers

Kresten

C

Caledonia

Hi Kresten, thanks for your comments, am about to start the weapons and fuel tanks so plenty of work ahead, will post more in a week or two once they are finish painted. Yes its a lovely kit, but did you feel sometimes that you were working on a 1/72 kit rather than a 1/48 with all that fine detail? How about posting a couple of shots of your model for inspiration. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Hi Kresten, that looks a very good F-16 you should be proud, you should post them on the Aircraft Pictures section. I bought the reinforcing plate detailing up parts set but I am not sure if I am going to use them, their thickness looks out of scale - too thick. The jury is out on this one at the moment. Thanks again for posting the photo's nice to see a finished model. Cheers Derek

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
HI Derek

Liking the progress so far, and the seam removal pics are very helpful!

Also looks like this bird's gonna be armed to the teeth!

All the best

Paul

S

Sky Raider

Hi Derek,

Thats some nice piece of work, well done so far. You know, you guys really amaze me, how you can paint so much detail at those scales and do such an excellent job is behond me.

Keep up the good work.

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Andy, theres only one thing for it. Give it a go!!!

Derek, good job on that canopy seam.

Cant be long now.....

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

lol Ian, i wouldnt have the bottle to put my efforts on here if i did.

Andy

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Derek, your build 'slipped my net'. Looking very good at the moment. Great detail in the landing gear. I've never built an F16 but did once see one in a sort of 'blue' camo scheme, I don't suppose in your research you discovered this scheme did you ?

Regards

Colin m.....

C

Caledonia

Hi Colin, if you do a search on www.airliners.net website you will find quite a few 'Blue' F-16's. What you may be talking about is the Blue colour scheme called 'Flanker' which is common to both the F-15 and F-16's, see below. Hope this helps. Cheers Derek

View attachment 27947

F-16 Flanker Colours.jpg

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments lads. here are a few shots of what I have been up to this week. Made up the exhaust pipe and hand painted it with Tamiya acrylic, and did a trial fit as you can see. Deviated from the kit colour scheme to one with the metallic blue banding which I have seen on American Aircraft. Closing up the cockpit so added the ejector seat decals. Mounted all the Fuel Tanks, Missiles and Missile Rails onto scrap sprues for airbrushing, masked off the Cockpit Canopy and fixed it in position with Klear. I have the 'FS' colours for the three greys on the aircraft but am going to try them on some scrap to see what colour they are when dry - been caught-out too many times in the past. Some minor filling to do in way of the Taileron cantilever supports. Cheers Derek

View attachment 27948

View attachment 27949

View attachment 27950

View attachment 27951

View attachment 27952

View attachment 27953

View attachment 27954

View attachment 27955

View attachment 27956

36-F16.jpg

37-F16.jpg

38-F16.jpg

39-F16.jpg

40-F16.jpg

41-F16.jpg

42-F16.jpg

43-F16.jpg

44-F16.jpg

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Hi Colin, if you do a search on www.airliners.net website you will find quite a few 'Blue' F-16's. What you may be talking about is the Blue colour scheme called 'Flanker' which is common to both the F-15 and F-16's, see below. Hope this helps. Cheers Derek
Thanks Derek, that's the one. My wife actually spotted it at cosford and likes it ! Which is a bit like an order to build it !

Regards

Colin M.........

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Derek. Wont be long before the paint starts flying.

Colin. I think that the sceme you refer to is also called Agressor. The flight training schools have Agressors and Defender; the good guys and the bad guys.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ian, thank you,

It looks like you're right, now to find a kit of an Agressor.

Colin M........

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
My Bad its Aggresor and Adversary. Might find this usefull 1/48 F-16C/NgAGGRESSOR/ADVERSARYh

In which case you would be wanting the Adversary version. Good thing the to options are in the sae kit!!!

Ian M

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

\ said:
Thanks Derek, that's the one. My wife actually spotted it at cosford and likes it ! Which is a bit like an order to build it !Regards

Colin M.........
Colin, you mean to tell me you have a wife that orders you to make models!!!! put her in the swap shop immediately please. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Made a start on the airbrushing, looking at the instructions, Tamiya want you to buy their aerosol cans for the body, I have chosen to use the FS numbers for the F-16. The instructions call out for 28 pot colours and 8 aerosol's - an expensive kit for those starting out and with no stock.

First I airbrushed the mid-grey colour, for this I used FS 36270 - Lifecolour - medium sea grey. I coated this with Micro Gloss before masking off, there is a nasty area above the intake where I chose to use Maskol. I then sprayed the lighter grey using FS 36375 - Lifecolor - light compass ghost grey, I then painted the darker grey using FS 36118 - Gunze Acrylic H305. Will now coat all these areas with Micro Gloss and mask off the undercarriage wells for painting white. Cheers Derek

View attachment 28037

View attachment 28038

View attachment 28039

View attachment 28040

45-F16.jpg

46-F16.jpg

47-F16.jpg

48-F16.jpg

C

Caledonia

Masked off the wheel bay's with tape and foil, and sprayed with Xtracrylic White XA1141. Off to start the decals and apply some light weathering: well actually all I am going to do is enhance the panel lines/rivets as the F-16's are usually pretty clean. Cheers Derek

View attachment 28129

View attachment 28130

49-F16.jpg

50-F16.jpg

B

Bunnybites

looking really good, I cant wait to see this finished as I am building the same kit now.

jim