FIGURES

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi all, need some help with figure choice, I've pm'd my mate Dude1 , but while I wait has any one got any suggestions.
As the mo jo has returned I've been thinking of a street scene for a kit I was kindly given by a none modeller, who kindly thought of me.
It's a Great Wall Hobby kit

1593891688581.png

I've seen various resin kits offered from a certain Far Eastern site, but refuse to buy knock offs.
Unfortunately most kits come with the gun !
So any ideas as to what could be used to make up a crew would be appreciated. I've w emailed RB model asking are they going to produce any ammo for this model, no stock at the moment :crying: .
Yes I know its German Bob !

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Ooh John , that's a beast!
Not my area of expertise, but if there's nothing specific out there I would start by looking at 88mm crews- I'm thinking of the old Tamiya set but there must be better stuff around nowadays
Can't wait to see what the reinvigorated mojo brings with this

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ooh John , that's a beast!
Not my area of expertise, but if there's nothing specific out there I would start by looking at 88mm crews- I'm thinking of the old Tamiya set but there must be better stuff around nowadays
Can't wait to see what the reinvigorated mojo brings with this
Thanks Neil, with the Tamiya figures I am now doing I should be able to pick one or two to man the gun, so a few more would just do. I can see the saw coming out and the wire !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking at an in-box review, it seems almost a crime to use those ancient Tamiya figures with a kit like this … However, I can’t really find any good alternatives for late-war artillery crews in plastic that you could adapt.

Alternative option: put a few Allied soldiers next to it, looking at the big gun.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I couldn’t find much either. A suggestion is one of the many sets of figures resting between actions....

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi gang
PM sent Buddy.......
Looking at an in-box review, it seems almost a crime to use those ancient Tamiya figures with a kit like this … However, I can’t really find any good alternatives for late-war artillery crews in plastic that you could adapt.

Alternative option: put a few Allied soldiers next to it, looking at the big gun.
Dragon do a Flak artillery crew 1943-45 set that might suit. And Alliance Model works do ammo too.

View attachment 391570
Allen, Jakko and Karl, thanks for your input.
Allen has updated me on the likely hood of this actually not being used in combat, so the dio will have to be a "What if "

The figures that I'm doing at the moment are from a tank riders kit, plenty of poses that could be altered. The Germans are dressed in summer clothing
Karl, with this in mind I shall have a look through my stash and see what other adaptations could be made.
Of course I could have some Russians looking at it , Jakko that's an idea.
Cheers guys, food for thought.
I couldn’t find much either. A suggestion is one of the many sets of figures resting between actions....

Hi Tim, posts nearly crossed as I was about to click.
Yes along with what I have I shall look at that idea , cheers .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Dragon do a Flak artillery crew 1943-45 set that might suit. And Alliance Model works do ammo too.

View attachment 391570
That looks good, the kind of set I was looking for but couldn’t find :sad: If you go for this set, John, don’t use the rangefinder guy — as far as I know, that was used for anti-aircraft fire only. Another minor snag is they’re wearing winter clothes, while if this gun has seen action, it would have been in the spring of 1945, when that kind of clothing would have been so last season’s.

Of course I could have some Russians looking at it , Jakko that's an idea.
Even more interesting, if you ask me, is to put it on a grassy field with a figure in modern (civilian) clothes next to it, and a little sign by the front :smiling3:

• Love
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
There are these...
not sure where you’d get them in the UK though....

• Sad

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
John , from info i can find they were only 41 on carriages, rest were converted to vehicle mounted ones.
Most seem to have been used in Europe due to the weight of the thing, again from the little info i could find.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
These are probably the 'knock off's' you are referring to, but I wish I had found these before finishing the 88 dio.

https://ebay.us/ssxs6f

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
JR, they used two part ammo, same as Jagdtiger. Kingkit.co.uk makes them in 1/35. Many seem to have been mounted in static PAK Fronts. PaulE

First Name
Andy
Sorry to hijack your thread John, but does anyone know where I can get a civilian tractor driver in 1/35? or any civilian driver.

Andy.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Sorry to hijack your thread John, but does anyone know where I can get a civilian tractor driver in 1/35? or any civilian driver.

Andy.

Big list @ https://www.scalemates.com/search.p...P[]="Civilians"&fkSCALENORMALISED[]="1:00035"

many may not be in production

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A few more figure ideas John,

CREW

CREW1

CREW2
Hi Simon, the 2 nd one is the type of thing I would have gone for. Certainly has the movement and a spotter with field glasses.

That looks good, the kind of set I was looking for but couldn’t find :sad: If you go for this set, John, don’t use the rangefinder guy — as far as I know, that was used for anti-aircraft fire only. Another minor snag is they’re wearing winter clothes, while if this gun has seen action, it would have been in the spring of 1945, when that kind of clothing would have been so last season’s.

Even more interesting, if you ask me, is to put it on a grassy field with a figure in modern (civilian) clothes next to it, and a little sign by the front :smiling3:
Jakko yes the winter clothing unfortunately is the down side on that set.The Russian idea sounds fun .

Hi Tim, I know and the change of getting whacked for import duty puts me off, and are these genuine, or another knock off. I'd seen other sets from there and just don't trust them .
Thanks Steve , I like the street fighting scene. Glad there's no damed camo:nerd::smiling3:

JR, they used two part ammo, same as Jagdtiger. Kingkit.co.uk makes them in 1/35. Many seem to have been mounted in static PAK Fronts. PaulE
Hi buddy, I've emailed RB models who used to have some ammo sets, will have to wait and see if they bother to reply.

King Kit have some slightly smaller size, 88 unfortunately. Now need to see what the ammo looked like as it seems it may have to be scratched. :crying:

Hi John I've got this crew if they are any good View attachment 391719
Very kind of of you Jim, appreciate the offer. Again churlish as it might sound not the correct figures that I need .:disappointed:

Andy.
No problem Andy, fire away ..

Karl thanks mate, unfortunately not the right type, sorry.

Well thank you all for your kind offers and suggestions.:thumb2: really appreciate the help.
Seems this was going to be problematic from the start, history seem to say that this model never saw active service in this form.

Finding the correct poses has been slow, I know exactly what I need so earlier today I went through my figures parts box (German section ) Found a body and arms to hold some field glasses, a pair of sitting legs ! Top half looking good. Can adapt a couple as loaders .Then comes the second puzzle, the ammo size and the 2 part ammo that Paul mentioned.
More research needed I can see?
Thanks again .