Finished - RAF Rescue Seaking HAR Mk3 - 1:48 Hasegawa

C

Caledonia

One of those models you could go on adding detail, but I am gong to call time on this one.

The build can be found here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/april-june-2013-gb-helicopters/18426-raf-rescue-seaking-har-mk3-1-48-hasegawa.html

I am a great fan of Hasegawa kits, but must confess to being disappointed on the poor level of detail provided with this kit when you consider the full price of over £70 which fortunately I did not pay. The photos you see below are with the Eduard zoom set for the cockpit and the Flightpath upgrade as I wanted the sand filter.

Hope you enjoy the photos, I have added an additional photo to compare sizes with my other 1:48 models, the Sea King is surprisingly large.

View attachment 63699View attachment 63700View attachment 63701View attachment 63702View attachment 63703View attachment 63704View attachment 63705

View attachment 64985

View attachment 64986

View attachment 64987

View attachment 64988

View attachment 64989

View attachment 64990

View attachment 64991

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

F4.jpg

F5.jpg

F6.jpg

F7.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Cracking build ............ Absolutely superb. 5*****

Peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In a word. NICE.

I realy like that a lot.

Great job five big fat yellow stars on their way.

Ian M

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is a really good build and I've enjoyed following your thread as I have one of these in my pile of things to build.

The configuration you have this cab in puts it into a very narrow period of time roughly between mid 2004 and early 2005. It was around this time that the SACRU (cargo hook) was removed from the cabs and just before MSS (infra red camera) was fitted to the port sponson.

But I have some minor quibbles on an otherwise superb build - from memory, this cab was not allocated to D flt during this timeframe - if I ever get round to building mine I would model ZE370 or XZ56. There is no wet fit floor which is a shame because of all the hard work and detail you put into the forward cabin area. And the sqn crest on the port side should actually be on the door. When you work on a SAR flight with only two cabs you get to know your aircraft a little more intimately than on a Tornado sqn for example so please forgive me if I sound a little over critical.

Your weathering is just right for a recently washed cab. They were supposed to be fresh water washed daily with a more thorough clean every seven days but sometimes this would be extended if the cab couldn't be taken "off state" and they could get quite grubby. If you've ever seen a Sea king or Puma from below you'd realise that not all of the airframe gets sparkly clean.

C

Caledonia

\ said:
This is a really good build and I've enjoyed following your thread as I have one of these in my pile of things to build.The configuration you have this cab in puts it into a very narrow period of time roughly between mid 2004 and early 2005. It was around this time that the SACRU (cargo hook) was removed from the cabs and just before MSS (infra red camera) was fitted to the port sponson.

But I have some minor quibbles on an otherwise superb build - from memory, this cab was not allocated to D flt during this timeframe - if I ever get round to building mine I would model ZE370 or XZ56. There is no wet fit floor which is a shame because of all the hard work and detail you put into the forward cabin area. And the sqn crest on the port side should actually be on the door. When you work on a SAR flight with only two cabs you get to know your aircraft a little more intimately than on a Tornado sqn for example so please forgive me if I sound a little over critical.

Your weathering is just right for a recently washed cab. They were supposed to be fresh water washed daily with a more thorough clean every seven days but sometimes this would be extended if the cab couldn't be taken "off state" and they could get quite grubby. If you've ever seen a Sea king or Puma from below you'd realise that not all of the airframe gets sparkly clean.
Thanks Gents, in reply to your observations Rick I would comment as follows.

Most of the internet photos I found did not have a wet floor, see also Demand 5 'Highland Emergency' Series 3 Episode 27, approx. 9 minutes in.

I appreciate the crest port side should be on the door, but it would be out of sight with the door open, and I hate waste, besides I did find one photo of another Sea King with the crest positioned where I put it so used my modellers license.

All the photos I found of the MSS which is black was also in shadow being under the sponson, so it is difficult to see the detail.

Anyway, its only a model, hope these changes didn't spoil your viewing. Cheers Derek

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Thanks Gents, in reply to your observations Rick I would comment as follows.Most of the internet photos I found did not have a wet floor, see also Demand 5 'Highland Emergency' Series 3 Episode 27, approx. 9 minutes in.

I appreciate the crest port side should be on the door, but it would be out of sight with the door open, and I hate waste, besides I did find one photo of another Sea King with the crest positioned where I put it so used my modellers license.

All the photos I found of the MSS which is black was also in shadow being under the sponson, so it is difficult to see the detail.

Anyway, its only a model, hope these changes didn't spoil your viewing. Cheers Derek
Decals "on or off doors" ......... Wet floor (is it not a deck ???) or not ..................Doesn't really matter much of anything.

It's still damn good Derek. Be Proud. :bounce:

Peter

First Name
Gregg
Not really a chopper fan (no pun intended) but this is just brilliant. *****

Gregg

First Name
Dave
Superb build Derek.I can tell a lot of work has gone into this.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
***** for that Derek.

Gern

PS That's a very impressive display shelf you got!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looks brilliant Derek, a definate 5 starrer.

Tony.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Derek,

In the screen shot you can see the wet fit floor. The six inch high dam running across the cabin floor behind the radshack continues all around the aft cabin to prevent water getting where it shouldn't. The red runners are there to provide a means of preventing the crew slipping on a wet floor. The tie down points are covered with silicone type discs that seal abit like tupperware lids - you can just see one in your photo.

We had one cab turn up with the crest on the fuselage like in your photo which was promptly corrected.

C

Caledonia

Thanks Rick, to my untrained eye it just looked like a grey floor to me, thanks for the background info. Cheers Derek

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Derek, your Sea King is a superb build mate.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great job Derek. It adds a nice bit of colour to the shelf.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That model is simply stunning Derek, absolutely brilliant. Big well done from me and 5 stars for sure.

Cheers

Paul

T

treyzx10r

Derek you hit a home run with this one for sure! What a stunning build,the attention to detail is over the top. Watching the pe work was a real treat as well! A very well deserved 5 stars,very nicely done indeed Sir!!!!

C

Caledonia

Thanks for viewing Gents and your kind comments. Cheers Derek