First Diaorama Attempt - Car MOT Garage - Work in progress!

C

Curtis

I haven't been on the forum since last year (I haven't had time to make any models etc due to moving house & other bit's and bats!) And I'm relatively new to modelling - I've done a few 1/24 plastic kits, which I have posted on the forum before.

Anyway... I've decided to have a go at making a diorama, using balsa and lollipop sticks. Here's what I've done so far (step by step) - honest opinions please! ;)

(The flat roof is going to be boarded, probably using lollipop sticks, with the rounded ends cut off, then I'm going to use firestone rubber as the roof covering. The pitched roof is going to be boarded also, then I'm using my cut-off lollipop stick ends as roof slates. The gable ends will probably be 'cladded' in lollipop sticks like the rest of the building. The garage walls will most probably be corrugated card, unless I think of anything better. That's as much as I've planned so far) :confused:

View attachment 68674

View attachment 68675

View attachment 68676

View attachment 68677

View attachment 68678

View attachment 68679

View attachment 68680

View attachment 68681

View attachment 68682

View attachment 68683

View attachment 68684

View attachment 68685

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

C

Curtis

Thanks Aaron!

I've been looking at alsorts of "roof coverings" for modelling on eBay, but have only either found packs of single roof tiles (which are too expensive), or tiles just printed onto self-adhesive paper, which will probably look awful on it. The lollipop stick ends will probably match in best, and look great. (hopefully!)

C

CDW

Card cut into tiles or similar works well, just size them to the scale you're working on.

Corrogated roofs look good, you can make them out of tin foil or use the rippled card from some fast food packaging.

I've used both... don't like posting my work on others threads so have a look at my started threads (mash and coutance have roofing in particular)

I did a Korean workshop and scratch built most of the tools in that to maybe spark an idea for you.

Ron (spanner) has done some great 1:72 buildings and its well worth browsing through those, in fact I've nicked some of his ideas in mine but don't tell him ;)

Hope the above helps in some way.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Good work on the frame and the cladding. Nice build so far.

Si:smiling3:

C

Curtis

I'll have a look at them now Colin - thankyou for the ideas! I think I'll make my own tiles (or should I say shingles?) from the lollipop sticks, keeping in theme with the wooden frame etc. Might give the foil on corrugated card idea a go for the flat roofed portion's exterior walls.

Thanks Si! :D It's appreciated

C

CDW

Sorry me being quick and ignorant there .....

Omitted to mention that I like the progress so far, looks a good solid platform to build on.

P

Polux

Very nice build so far.

This garaje will give you a world of possibilities for weathering ;)

Cheers

C

Curtis

Cheers Colin! :D

Thanks Polux - I've never actually attempted weathering before now, even though it's something I've always wanted to have a bash at with my 1/24 cars. I'll definitely be experimenting with this though!

Just boarded the flat roof now..... Once this sections had it's walls cladded I'll be able to put my rubber roof on!

View attachment 68691

20130902_131841.jpg

C

CDW

You could simulate a felt roof with some medium wet&dry, just give it a wash with some darkish green then give it a dry brush with a mid brown and it'll all blend in nicely.

C

Curtis

That sounds like a good idea Colin - haven't got any wet & dry though, and got plenty of cut offs of Firestone rubber from work ;)

C

CDW

\ said:
got plenty of cut offs of Firestone rubber from work ;)
Oooh bargain :smiling3: ... set to it then young man :smiling3: (and don't forget the piccies)

C

Curtis

I've started work on the pitched roof first as I'll need to clad the other section before doing the rubber roof (I'm having a Chinese tonight, so hopefully some worthy materials might come from that haha)

C

Curtis

Ok guys - quick progress update!

Started slating the main roof, ordered myself some corrugated card off eBay for the remaining walls, since the Chinese didn't send me anything worth using haha.

View attachment 68713

View attachment 68714

Opinions? I just used normal card to support the 'slates'.

BIG PROBLEM now though..... running out of glue!! So won't be getting much more done tonight :confused:

20130902_202659.jpg

20130902_202720.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks amazing Curtis. Fantastic idea for a diorama, watching with interest.

C

Curtis

Thankyou Joe!

Even once I had started building the frame I wasn't too sure what it was going to be! Haha, my first idea was a bungalow (without the extension bit), with a nice garden so I could play around with grass etc, but I thought it'd suit a garage scene better.

N

noble

This is a quality build curtis, lovely job will be watching with interest.

scott

C

Curtis

Thanks for the feedback Scott :D

The replies to this are making me want to put even more effort in, which I suppose is a good thing!

Been busy working at the moment though so progress has slowed down. Need to go to town and get some more glue, wood & other bits and bats!

Very eager to get onto painting and weathering.

P

Polux

Looking very good Curtis !! I like it! ;)

My advice is, went you paint it, do with a very thinner colors (like washes). It's important don't lose the wood effect :smiling3:

I wish to see it finished yet!

Cheers

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent work Curtis. I do like the coffee stirrer shingles....Top marks for ingenuity.

Ron