First Diaorama Attempt - Car MOT Garage - Work in progress!

C

Curtis

Thanks for the tip Polux - I'm glad you mentioned that!!

& thankyou Ron! =) It definitely gives it that edge!

I've just received my corrugated card in the post today, so will be cladding the small garage, then doing the flat roof tonight most probably

Watch this space! ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bit late now Curtis, but for a free alternative to bought corrugated card, get some ordinary corrugated cardboard and gently peel off one of the faces.....voila! a corrugated roof. Thinner the corrugations the smaller the scale.

Ron

C

Curtis

I tried that Ron, ended up throwing it because I couldn't get a good enough finish haha. The stuff I've bought was a 99p 1mx900mm sample of packaging card off ebay, it has one smooth side perfect for gluing to my supports and obviously the corrugated side.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Missed the beginning of your build Curtis, a cracking piece of work so far, coming along nicely.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Tony.

C

Curtis

Thankyou all for the great feedback - been rained off at work today so will be spending some time getting it up to scratch! Need to go to the model shop when it opens for more supplies!

P.s. - I've had my username changed from "cat_kebab" to just "Curtis". Thought I'd better drop that in there incase anyone was getting confused haha :P

P

Polux

That envies! It's very agreeable to work with wood! :smiling3:

I was thinking....

There is another possibility to paint the walls; the dyes of alcohol, they have a few precious colors for wood and leave it perfect for an after weathering...

Polux

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Plaster can be used for the roof tiles- you lay it down, then carve out the tiles. I did this in an Ancient china dio. I turned out great. Just remember to let the plaster dry marginally then carve it out after. You can sand it down after it has completely dried.

C

Curtis

Brilliant ideas guys, I like the sound of the plaster idea, although more time consuming. I saw the other thread about making stone walls with smashed up plaster - which I might try for a boundary wall.

What do you mean by "dyes of alcohol" polux?

P

Polux

\ said:
What do you mean by "dyes of alcohol" polux?
They are a few pigments of color (like inks) soluble with alcohol. The wood absorbs the alcohol very rapid and does not leave any kind of....'signal'?.

Here in Catalonia it's possible to buy in drug stores (paints) or shops of art. It's a very economic product also, and with a little bag you can paint, maybe, all your garage....

Excuse me mate...english isn't my mother language

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice progress, that building is looking very nice indeed.

C

Curtis

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the good feedback.

That sounds interesting Polux, I will look into that. I have now painted it using humbrol enamels mixed with spirits, which seems to have worked quite well in maintaining the wood effect. Theres a couple of dodgy bits but I'm still learning o_O

Anyway, here goes:

I made a roller shutter from the same corrugated card as the cladding, painted metallic silver. Just need to make another smaller one for the smaller entrance now. The black frame you can see on the flat roof is for signage, which I'm going to design on the laptop and print out, putting a lollipop stick frame around it.

View attachment 69160

View attachment 69161

View attachment 69162

Whilst I'm here - I've got some "desert sand and gravel mix" for the yard at the front of the building. It's pretty fine sand with bigger stones in - best ways to stick it down?? :confused:

ALSO: debating on changing the roof colour as it didn't dry as expected. It is meant to be a "spanish slate" colour (you may have to search google to see what I mean).

20130911_114830.jpg

20130911_114853.jpg

20130911_114948.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That is looking flash Curtis. The signage is very nice, many car brands represented at your garage. Puts the whole thing into scale seeing that Humbrol tin in the garage, very nicely done. So what's next the next stage then?

C

Curtis

Didn't notice the tin lol! It would of been a good idea to place it there for that reason though Joe! :D

Next step - complete second shutter door, stick down gravel and static grass.

Then figure out some nice ways to slightly weather the roof, and have a small build up of 'leaves' in the corners of the flat roof and behind the sign.