First German plane, a Junkers Ju 88A-4 Bomber 1:72 scale Revell kit.

M

mobear

what a beautiful bird you have built i`m more than impressed

mobear

S

Saber

Thank you Ole, I really love this plane its been great to work on and I learned a lot as I am making it. Must try to get my head around the technique of weathering as I have never tried that one. Learned how to do some dry brushing and pre-shading but weathering is new to me. My wife has some pastel chalks from her art classes so was thinking about grinding some of them up in a bit of water and trying it with them but need to understand the process better first. I think it will be be German planes for a few more builds as yet as they are so nice looking.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I will have to get some different glue for canopys the revell normal glue tends to fog them if your not very careful.
I use "white" glue. You can go for somethink like Klearfix or Gator's Grip,which are branded ones specifically for model making,or good old PVA.

Good work on the Ju 88, Germany produced some great looking and successful aeroplanes and the Ju 88 was one of the best.

Cheers

Steve

BTW if the kit doesn't contain swastikas and you want to put them on (understandably not everyone does) let me know and I'll see if I can dig some out for you.

S

Saber

Cheers Steve. I will try some clearfix next build I think, interesting point about the swastikas do some kits leave them out then? If its going to be a true model they should be on there I guess it was world war 2 after all. Thanks for the offer I will keep the ones I have on there now though as I am almost done with the decals for now cheers mybe next time on my next build though.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
interesting point about the swastikas do some kits leave them out then?
Yes,some kits leave them out or do them in to halves. There is nothing sinister in this,it is just a marketing ploy. In some territories,not least of all Germany,the use of swastikas is regulated by law. Scale models are toys,at least legally,and may not display them. Including swastikas could make a kit impossible to sell,legally,in these territories.

Many German modellers leave them off. If they wish to display a swastika bearing model at a show in Germany they have to cover the swastika. It's their law and we have to respect it.

I do put swastikas on my models,as you say it was WWII and this had become a national marking. Putting them on your model doesn't make you a nazi! Some people choose not to apply them,which is fine too. I wouldn't think any less of a swasika-less model.

If you are going to do more Luftwaffe models it might be worth looking at the readily available after market decal sheets. These supply all the various styles and sizes of swastikas in all the main scales. Alternatively you can always see if anyone has some spare :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Saber

Ok I think its all done and dusted now decided to add the wires after watching a guy on Utube stretch out a bit of frame work by burning it with a match and then pulling the plastic apart to get a very thin line lol you will all be laughing at me for not knowing that I suspect but I am still learning all these little tips. Any way after the lines and decals went on I got it to the stage where I am now very happy with it so its going on my desk with my growing collection.

I was looking at the new 1.32 scale version of this and really hoping I get it for my birthday, love this plane to bits.

Heres the finished Junkers my first German plane :mrgreen:

View attachment 49617View attachment 49616View attachment 49623View attachment 49621View attachment 49624View attachment 49622View attachment 49620View attachment 49618View attachment 49619

View attachment 52358

View attachment 52359

View attachment 52360

View attachment 52361

View attachment 52362

View attachment 52363

View attachment 52364

View attachment 52365

View attachment 52366

Ju 48.jpg

Ju 40.jpg

Ju 41.jpg

Ju 42.jpg

Ju 43.jpg

Ju 44.jpg

Ju 45.jpg

Ju 46.jpg

Ju 47.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great Mark. I'd be happy to have that on my shelf :smiling3:

B

backonthecase

Wow Mark, very nicely done and bravo especially for the greenhouse masking I would have needed a straight jacket and a padded room for that one! Very nice work overall mate, great stuff!!

A question / obsrvation rather than criticism - in the pic "JU 41" (2nd last pic of the last batch), is that oversprayed black on the yellow nacelle? I'd ignore it as it's on the bottom anyway lol, it was just in case you didnt notice and wanted to clean up....

Very nice result in any case, I'd happily have it in my collection if you get bored of it :D

Stuart

M

mobear

ruddy lovely build mate,i`m like you and cant stop looking at the models ive built,thnx for the show

mobear

ps 5*s from me

S

Saber

Cheers Ian, I have now opened up my next German Model plane ready to make a start, it's the Revell 1:72 scale Heinkel He 219 UHU. The paint work on this one looks a real challenge with its giraffe type camouflage, any suggestions on how to go about painting it? I thought of using blue tack blobs for masking the spots but not sure if just using my airbrush would look more natural but much harder to do.

View attachment 49632

View attachment 52374

1.HN-Ac-kits-Revell-Heinkel-He-219-Uhu-1.72-scale.jpg

S

Saber

\ said:
Wow Mark, very nicely done and bravo especially for the greenhouse masking I would have needed a straight jacket and a padded room for that one! Very nice work overall mate, great stuff!!A question / obsrvation rather than criticism - in the pic "JU 41" (2nd last pic of the last batch), is that oversprayed black on the yellow nacelle? I'd ignore it as it's on the bottom anyway lol, it was just in case you didnt notice and wanted to clean up....

Very nice result in any case, I'd happily have it in my collection if you get bored of it :D

Stuart
Many thanks Stuart, yes that is a little bit of over spray there, I shall tart that one up with my old airbrush which needs a good old clean having made so many models in the last 2 months. Hoping I get the big 1/32 scale version for my birthday now that should keep me out of trouble.

S

Saber

Thank you Ole, 5 stars for my first build on here is great news I am just in awe at some of the models on this forum they are amazing. I have just put in a subscription for Model Airplane International magazine from my newsagent and bought some more tools and paint ready for my next German plane the Heinkel He 219, will start a new thread for that one later on today. This time next year I should have an aircraft hanger in my attic full of model planes, better alter my will so it instructs my wife to donate all of them to the local air museum as well :wink:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Cheers Ian, I have now opened up my next German Model plane ready to make a start, it's the Revell 1:72 scale Heinkel He 219 UHU. The paint work on this one looks a real challenge with its giraffe type camouflage, any suggestions on how to go about painting it? I thought of using blue tack blobs for masking the spots but not sure if just using my airbrush would look more natural but much harder to do.View attachment 49632
Mottle like that is tricky in 1/72 scale.

Try spraying through a hole poked in a piece of card. Irregular or ragged edges around the hole don't matter. You'll have to use several holes and cards as they become saturated. Experiment with the distance of the card from the model and the airbrush from the card to see what looks best to you.

This 1/72 Fw 190 was done using that method.

Cheers

Steve

B

backonthecase

\ said:
Many thanks Stuart, yes that is a little bit of over spray there, I shall tart that one up with my old airbrush which needs a good old clean having made so many models in the last 2 months. Hoping I get the big 1/32 scale version for my birthday now that should keep me out of trouble.
Good good, the 1/32 scale '88 gets a good write up as far as I've seen. good luck :smiling3:

Stona that mottling looks really good, must commit this technique to the bank of good ideas :smiling3:

S

Saber

Thanks Steve, Nice model by the way bit of a crash landing there I see. I will get my wife to cut out a hole template with her brand new card shape cutting machine she got from create and craft she will become my second line of defence in the art of template cutting.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Thanks Steve, Nice model by the way bit of a crash landing there I see. I will get my wife to cut out a hole template with her brand new card shape cutting machine she got from create and craft she will become my second line of defence in the art of template cutting.
It is a crash landing and based on real photograph.

The little "vignette" is called "fliegerdenkmal" or flyer's monument,which is what the Luftwaffe called these sort of accidents.

Don't worry about making neat cut outs,I just push a drill through the card.

Cheers

Steve