First proper diorama

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
been roped into doing my first proper diorama in 1/35 for a dio gb somewhere else................at the minute i have no idea how its going to go, i have 3 or 4 ideas for a vehicle/figures

never done anything like this sort of kit before so the whole thing will be a learning curve

comes with lots of bits thats not needed.....no doubt for other kits in the range sharing common sprues

one tip ive read about these is to fill the base with something like plaster to stop it flexing,....used a whole 500g box!

cut the bits out of the sheet, sanded them flat and before gluing the halves together ive added some tabs, figured it would help keeping everything lined up

current plan is that this will get plenty of grime, mud and grass..............still got a grassinator to make yet!

T

tommy1drop

Nice start Paul, did one of these a few years ago, looking forward to seeing more of your build;)

Not trying to hijack your build, but this is what I did with mine.

Last edited:

0ne48thtel

looking at the parts you could almost take castings from them. I shall be watching this.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start Paul, always fun a miniart kit,:rolleyes:

glad you pickup a couple of the tricks for them,

will be looking forward to seeing more, ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

Will be watching this looks interesting already.

First Name
Richard
Nice start there Paul,

Will be watching closely, if I may, you can put in a piece of Styrofoam after you poured some plaster in the base it will keep the base light but without flexing if you know what i mean, and is probably cheaper too. ;)

Cheers Richi

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice start paul that base looks very good , I don't know about you but I'm not to keen on vacu-form buildings , they look great if you know what your doing but I don't know what I'm doing so I end up only using the fronts

Looks like you know what your doing :D

J

John Huggins

Look forward to seeing this one come together keep up the good work.

John

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Looks like you know what your doing :D
youre 'aving a turkish!! :P havnt got a clue!, making it up as i go along, im not too keen on vacform either so far....dont like the joins....first time ive played about with vacformed stuff

C

callmehobbes

God luck with this. Initially I found the miniart sets to be really frustrating but they do get easier. There are some really good tips on the net helping put them together. The main thing is spending a bit more time sanding at the start so you spend less time with the filler later.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
just a quick update as i think this one might take me quite a while

i really am making this up as i go along....got no idea what im doing lol.....ignore the colours at the moment, as i will explain, they are basically undercoats

the base didnt have enough texture to it so i mixed up some pva with fine rock granules and splodged it on to rough it up

its been painted brown but since ive covered with a slurry wash made with various MiG mud pigments.................the green will be covered with 'grass' once i make a grassinator

the building still needs the stone bits painting, then i will try some colour variation, then lots of washes and stuff to tone it all down

N

noble

Paul mate this is looking good so far just take your time.

scott