First proper diorama

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
still playing about with this

i will honestly admit although im enjoying this i am struggling.....can not get the look im after

i used MiG mud pigments and got it just right, decided to try giving it a waft of matt varnish to hold it in place.......big mistake!......the pigments went white!!....so had to do more mud washes over the top and just not managed to get the same look i had before

first job tomorrow will be to try the grassinator on the green bit at the front so im thinking of adding some to the centre of the muddy bit

the building has had numerous dark washes followed by some white dry brushing to add highlights.....but it still dosnt look how i envisioned it...the door is actually a pale blue grubbied up lol, looks white from here......added 'glass' to the windows.....was doing some laminating at work and realised the off cuts would make some great glass if i added some cracks and bullet holes............still got some shutters to add when the building bit does get attached to the base

i tip my hat to those of you that can make this kits work, got to be one of the hardest things ive ever done...............even tho im enjoying making it all up as i go along lol

D

Deleted member 4203

It's still good if you ask me, it's all trial and error I guess :smiling3: ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
it's all trial and error I guess :smiling3: ;)
and thats the fun bit..............if you dont try stuff thats new to you, how do you learn stuff?.....how do you get better at things?

and this whole thing has been done on the cheap.........including the grassinator ive made and the grass flock to go in it that i will use tomorrow its stilll not come to 16 quid

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Vacformed stuff can be a pain to make, especially if needs trimming as it won't fit, but it looks superb so far Paul, really like it.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Aaron
Is a grassinator a static applicator? I made myself one out of an electric fly swat and can be a cheap alternative to the railway branded applicators.

I have a mini art building kit that I'm just waiting for a good reason to build. Yours looks great so far, have you seen the build page on mini art? Really good stuff.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Is a grassinator a static applicator? I made myself one out of an electric fly swat and can be a cheap alternative to the railway branded applicators..
thats what ive done...............and im very disappointed with the results to be honest

hopefully post some pics tomorrow

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
nope, the stuff the railway guys use...........it works, just not as well as i expected

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
im calling this one done for the time being

ive got to the point where i dont know what else to do without the risk of ruining it....i also need a break from it, intend on coming back to it after a while......might be good to approach it with fresh eyes

im not happy with the mud and im really not happy with the grass....the grassinator didnt work as expected

there will also be a part 2 to this as when we do the artillery GB in Feb its going to used for that

a few pics, one with a tank on to give it scale

C

callmehobbes

Good effort. Ive started several of miniarts buildings and have yet to finish any (actually that 's true of 99% of all my models). I think you should be pleased with outcome. There are some minor tweaks that would improve it but Id leave them till you come back to it feeling fresh.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well Paul i real think your being to hard on your shelf,that is a great 1st go at a dio,and even still

a mini art one,

the building looks good ,i like the contrast with the paint,the burnt sienna / terracotta look,

what i do before i come back over with my wash,is seal it with a matt,so then the coats of wash will stick to that,once dry

give it a coat of even hair,stick,to seal and a last wash to dull it down,

as for the road,mud,looks fine,if you wont to add track makes even at this stage is easy to do,mix dirt,with PVA,glue,then

lay down kind of thick,in line with the tracks and press the tank on to it,

what will leave the track makes,behind and where it sits,so you will have a ridge on the sides,were it looks to be pressing out the mud,

if you wont to show like wet spots just use a varnish in spots to look like it still is wet in places,

hope this is so help, ;)

First Name
Richard
Hi Paul, as a first diorama build it looks really good.

I have 1 question can you make some close up pictures of the grass?

A tip on a homemade grassinator:smiling3: you need to get very close to the needle, so like 5cm then put on the grass and then the next 5 cm and so on.

Then, as far I can see you used one kind of grass, make a mix of different ones, or when it is all dry, just drybrush it a bit with different shades of green.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Richi

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi again Paul,

the links below show how to make and use a grass applicator ,only takes about 15 mini,to make one,:rolleyes:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=static+grass+applicator&biw=1906&bih=946&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QquhVM-FJsKC8gW4uoKIBg&ved=0CBwQsAQ

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=static+grass+applicator&biw=1906&bih=946&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=SquhVOyyMJP78QWOmoHgBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&dpr=1

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
All good advise.....

The general layout looks fine to me Paul. The problem with Miniart ruined buildings is they tend to kind of just end. To make them look realistic lots of extra rubble and broken bits need to be added to the relatively bare structure.

Also, try and picture just where the rest of the building has gone to! Tons will be in the street...

I make my own buildings for the above reason. But if truth be told, I know I wouldn't have the patience to tackle a Miniart building. They do seem awkward things to master, but you have certainly cracked this one..

Because your diorama is at a very early stage, and it is devoid of any muck and rubble, your eye keeps focusing on the grass. If you are not happy with it at the next stage, cover it all with brick and cement dust plus general debris. Take a look at bombed and damaged buildings to see the huge amount rubble there is. Many dioramas just have a scattering of stuff. I like loads of it...knee deep!

It will all blend in with addition of these things and you won't even notice the grass!

So don't worry, just come back to it when you are refreshed and ready to go again.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
thanks guys

\ said:
,if you wont to add track makes even at this stage is easy to do,mix dirt,with PVA,glue,then lay down kind of thick,in line with the tracks and press the tank on to it,

that i dont want to do at the moment......the Whippet tank was just added for effect.......the base will be used for the Artillery GB quite soon......and after that as a photo back drop for any armour

\ said:
A tip on a homemade grassinator you need to get very close to the needle, so like 5cm then put on the grass and then the next 5 cm and so on. Then, as far I can see you used one kind of grass, make a mix of different ones
\ said:
Hi again Paul,the links below show how to make and use a grass applicator ,only takes about 15 mini,to make one,
thats what i made and how i used it.....and i used a mix of two shdes.....i really do think its just a case of more practice in the future

\ said:
To make them look realistic lots of extra rubble and broken bits need to be added to the relatively bare structure.

Also, try and picture just where the rest of the building has gone to! Tons will be in the street...

So don't worry, just come back to it when you are refreshed and ready to go again.
i dont want to add any extra at the moment......when its used for the Arty GB i will know where gun/figures will be going and can think where things can go around them

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
They make that kind of stuff now? wow I need to get off this mountain!