Flying tank

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I have had an idea for a diorama. I am going to build a flying tank, I have no idea about tanks (I've built 2 that's all I know about tanks) can anyone tell me what is the lightest\smallest tank (I know they are all heavy, but some are heavier than others) I realize its probably not feasible, but I sort of want it to be believable.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Weights not an issue really ken a jumbo jet stays in the air and that's incredibly heavy :smiling3:

Try a chieftain tank it's very streamlined and put VTOL engines on it :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh this will be very interesting Ken, wow, well i real think one of the small Japaneses ones tanks would suit,

this one would suit its like a match box with a cannon ;)

and use like a da vinci model, plane for wings and tail ? :rolleyes:

just a little some think that opoed in my head :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_tanks_of_World_War_II

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ww11+japanese+tanks&noj=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vXyqU9_kEI6ekQXfpYH4CQ&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1906&bih=945

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=da+vinci+models&noj=1&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=hX6qU9rwOsOGkQWNuIG4BA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1906&bih=945

View attachment 84290

View attachment 84291

View attachment 84292

View attachment 84293

Type_95_(AWM_097336).jpg

images.jpg

render-2.jpgf319df95-9700-43f0-bf66-b2a24e4bda52Large.jpg

11134790-da-vinci-maquina-voladora-ornitoptero-3d-concepto.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that Alan would be a sight to see :oops: :rolleyes:

L

Lobster Johnson

If its a fantastical project then believability isn't a massive issue is it? Why don't you just choose a tank which you like the look of and has scope for modification rather than worrying about the weight?

In any case, it sounds fun.

First Name
Richard
I agree whit Dale,

just make it and dont worry about weight issues.

will follow this one.

Cheers Richi

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Sorry Ken, but the Russians beat you to it:

This is the Antonov A-40 Krylya. There's loads of references on the web.

Gern

P

Polux

My vote is for a Merkava, is a very "fine" tank, it looks like a plane :P

If not, you can do it like the "A Team" movie... :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Ian (papa695) is doing a very interesting steampunk tank, should be interesting...

Ahh!! Forget!! Is a great idea ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

Looking more closely at that pic of the A40 I have an idea that was a propaganda photo there are no drive shafts on those track wheels (the ones in silhouette on the far side) I think that was a dummy tank.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all thanks for the info I wasn't planning on making it a glider like the A40 rather a powered one capable of taking off under its own power (maybe even vertical take off)with as the A40 detachable wings. I have decided it will be British designed by that great British designer kpnuts the world famous designer of the world's first gooseberry peeler, which as we all know shortened WWII by several months (one of the unsung heroes of the war imho). So, which tank? Any one got pics of British tanks kits avaliable in 1/35 please.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some one just brought out a model of the locus, an airdropped tank. A good light weight start. Challenger 2 what about a WWI male tank...

Ian M

D

Deleted member 3568

Is it sacrilege to say I think male tank is my least favorite looking of tanks.

P

Polux

You have another option... How about a Staghound or a Ferret Mk.2/3 ?

They are not tanks but could be fine as well ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

They do look good but I did have my heart set on a tank having said that is there a tank that doesn't have tracks as I really didn't like doing the individual links on the Tiger I built or is there a manufacturer that produces a challenger with the tracks in one piece.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
alot of the kits still have the rubber tracks or even just post on hear for some, as maybe someone has, :rolleyes:

or ever still i have seen ww11 pic,s of Russian tanks running with out the tracks on,

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=1.35+british+ww11+tanks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dy-rU4auFITAkQWk3YG4BQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1906&bih=946

D

Deleted member 3568

Now I am in a quandry I like the Chiefton the challenger the Merkava (although that's not british) the locust. What to do now, my 2 favorites are the Chiefton and the Merkava

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks moni I may do that when I make my mind up and actually get the kit