Flying tank

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

In early 1942 the British were made aware (by the Master spy Leopold Tepper) that the Russians were developing a flying tank. The A-40 Krylya. This information was was passed on to the MOD who hastily commissioned the design our own flying tank.

It was decided this tank should be able to take off and land under its own power and not,as a glider towed by another plane, just increasing the target size and not as useful.

The top designer, a young handsome genius by the name of K.P. Nuts was called in to do the job, his first request was to find the lightest, strongest materials available, it was discovered the MOD owned a patent on a product called Carbon fiber, invented by W. Watt, L.N. Phillips and W. J. Johnson.

The Grant M3 was the tank chosen to be used on the project. The turret and mantle would be made of carbon fiber and the middle set of wheels would be removed and carbon fiber skids added to replace them, reducing the weight from 30 US short tons to 19 US short tons.

I realise I've been a bit inventive with history carbon fiber was not invented till 1963 (at least as we know it today, they did have it in 1939 but was not useable for this type of thing)

I will be building the tank as normal to start with, to get the experience with washes and stuff, my first attempt was not very good.

as you can see very crude and no washes, but I hope to improve.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Er...that's not a Grant Ken...your spy has given you duff info. :D

Si:smiling3:

P

Polux

I have a very good references of the top designer and young handsome genius called K.P. Nuts, so I'm not worried that will be a great thread and build. ;)

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks for the trust polux hope I live up to it.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Uh oh! Duff info already...I cant see this taking off :oops:o_O

Lee :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

Just to clear things up that is a pic of my first tank to show how bad my weathering was the tank I will be using is academys 1/35 grant m3 will post pics when I start, having a break from modeling tonight, but will be right back at it tomorrow.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Ah, right with you now Ken. Then I am sure that it will be up to your scratch making superbness.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
What Si said...

Lee :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

Here are pics of the tank I will be using.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2ivobi8.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking forward to this one KP. I'm sure the suave intelligent top designer KP nuts will do a cracking job on this super invention of a flying tank

D

dubster72

A carbon fibre M3? Now this is what I'm talking about!

Go for it young Nuts!

First Name
Aaron
I knew about the Russians idea for this...I thought the British made an air droppable tank.

This is an interesting blog, don't be so hard on yourself,that tiger is a beaut mate.

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks for all the replys will be starting it tonight. Aaron thanks for the kind words, but no its not good. I hadn't heard of washes when I built it, so it hasn't got one and the weathering is not very subtle. Don't get me wrong I think it's ok for a first tank, but I intend to try and improve on this one (that is the plan anyway).

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You know Ken, the only thing that lets the Tiger down is its shiny...but that can be sorted by adding a matt varnish or even some water effects and a little board with puddles, make it look wet. It doesn't look that bad mate honest. Looking forward to this build something unusual.

D

Deleted member 3568

si it actually is on a muddy track with puddles around it I will find the pics later and pop them on here.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
si it actually is on a muddy track with puddles around it I will find the pics later and pop them on here.
So it is Ken, apologies I was just looking at the tank itself and not the board. I still don't it looks that bad mate.

D

Deleted member 3568

here is the next installment. please let me know about the weathering, its all watercolour so it will all come off if no good, also i have bought some filters how do I use those, it says nothing on the bottle.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks good so far all need a start off point, cannot wait to see whats next,? :rolleyes: