Forest Luftwaffe hide out

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

This is the beginnings of my forest diorama for the FW 190 A8 I completed in the GB. I decided not to bore everyone with the process of making 7 pine trees, and so I've started the thread with only 2 more to complete.

The idea for the diorama came from the Group build when I was kindly sent some terrific reference photos from Steve (Stona). These pics showed various German aircraft in various stages of camouflage and then one with a forest cropped up. I'd had a vague idea to have a scene with camouflage netting and from this first idea the idea for the forest kinda grew (excuse the pun).

The plan is to have a camouflage net stretched between the 4 central trees which will housing something of a workshop and of course the aircraft. The floor of the workshop will comprise of the wooden decking used in other dios I've seen with perhaps a work bench and i few guys grafting away. I have a kubelwagen and a Citreon staff car (pictured) to fill out the scene further plus a few other pilot and luftwaffe figures. The aircraft will be viewed leaving the safety of their 'nest' and getting ready to take off from the adjoining Autobahn a legacy of Hitler's civil development projects in the 30's. The autobahn will be seen in the left hand corner of the dio (in front of the 190).

I plan to take pics of not 1 but 3 aircraft here; the 190 built in the GB plus a 190 Dora and a 262 1a Schwalbe yet to be built. I have to say that my present fixation with late war German aircraft can be directly attributed to the GB! - you know who you are!!!

BTW - anyone thinking of joining future GBs should do so as they are superb fun.

This gives an overview of what I have planned and I'll try to take pics of the build as I go along. For anyone interested in knowing how I built the trees I'm going to do a step by step on the last one.

I hope you all like the dio...

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 15721View attachment 15722

View attachment 23943

View attachment 23944

Forest growth 04.jpg

Forest growth 03.jpg

F

Fenlander

Three things. One, yes it is going to be a great diorama, probably the tallest done on this forum? Two, your comments re the GB being "superb fun", I don't think anyone would disagree even if it took over the forum for a while, it certainly got some creative juices flowing as can be seen by all the builds done. Three the sheer diversity that has come out of the GB has to show it has a place on a forum like this. OK, it may not be for everyone and we all have to respect that but it is really gratifying to see the level that some of the models have achieved. This has been done not because it is a competition (although I am sure we have all tried to get the upper hand in it lol) but simply because we have wanted to take part. If that helps people with their modelling then it has been worth it.

Nice one Paul and I look forward to your tee making step by step.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi paul, looking forward to seeing this one develop, the trees look great , keep up the great work cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Bl**dy hell! That's amazing,definitely the tallest diorama. Those trees look great, I'm staying tuned to see how this turns out with the various aircraft in situ.

Where are you going to put it when it's finished? lol

Cheers

Steve

N

noble

Paul this is looking excellent so far and i agree with graham we want to see the step by step on how you made those trees they look fantastic.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys

Here's a few pics showing the planning stage - it was here that I worked out where the trees needed to go and how many there needed to be. Because the dio will have something of a restricted viewing point (because of he trees) I wanted the 190 to be viewed at an angle to the front edge of the board - this would give the model the best view.

View attachment 15731View attachment 15732

A piece of MDF was cut 50cm square and the holes for the trees drilled into it.

..and now the trees...

View attachment 23953

View attachment 23954

Planning 02.jpg

Planning 01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is part 1 on how I made the trees.

This is a variation on this link that Scott sent: Fir trees from Scratch

The first steps follow the link quite closely.

1. Take a piece of 6mm dowel approx 18" in length (this equates to a tree 72' high) and whittle one end down to a point.

You have to be quite careful doing this as I went clean through a couple of pieces of dowel.

View attachment 15733

2. Take some wire (I used both florists wire and soft 1mm aluminium but it doesn't matter which) and begin winding the wire around the dowel starting about 1" from the bottom. Every so often you need to make a loop in the wire around an inch to an inch and a half in length - this will become the smaller branches at the base of the tree. Keep making these loops every now and again working up the dowel until you're about 6" up.

If any of this isn't quite clear please refer to the link as it has diagrams to fully illustrate the method.

View attachment 15737

3. Now when you wind the wire you need to make larger loops around 5 to 6" in length. Keep working up the dowel twisting the wire around the dowel and make the loops a little smaller as you reach the top. These are the main branches of the tree.

View attachment 15739

4. Once you've wired the dowel you can create the 'branches'. Snip the loops at the end and straighten them out a little. Now shape the tree how you want it to look.

View attachment 15740View attachment 15741

You now have the skeleton of your tree.

I haven't got round to taking photos of the next process yet, which is securing the branches and creating the 'bark', but I hope to do this on tree number 7 tomorrow.

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 23955

View attachment 23959

View attachment 23961

View attachment 23962

View attachment 23963

Pine tree 01.jpg

Pine tree 03.jpg

Pine tree 05.jpg

Pine tree 06.jpg

Pine tree 07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here's part 2 of the Pine tree build - Securing branches & applying bark

For this part of the tree build I went away from the link and experimented a bit.

I used a flexible filler for the bark as I think it's got a few advantages over plaster - it's easier to apply, being flexible it will allow slight movement in the branches and it's just less mess!

I applied it to the tree 'skeleton' using our old friend the coffee stirrer.

View attachment 15746

1. Work the filler into the coil of the wire and fill in any holes. Use a old box underneath to catch any mess (there's very little).

View attachment 15747View attachment 15748View attachment 15749

2. Once you've covered the tree 'trunk' let this dry and then apply a 2nd thinner coat. Let this second coat dry a bit until the filler is stiffer and then, using a new coffee stirrer, 'draw' on the bark surface into the filler.

View attachment 15750

3. Let this dry and the bare tree is ready for some paint.

View attachment 15751

I'll finish this and the other remaining tree for the diorama in the next post and describe the painting and foliage I used.

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 23968

View attachment 23969

View attachment 23970

View attachment 23971

View attachment 23972

View attachment 23973

Pine tree part 2 02.jpg

Pine tree part 2 03.jpg

Pine tree part 2 04.jpg

Pine tree part 2 05.jpg

Pine tree part 2 07.jpg

Pine tree part 2 08.jpg

F

Fenlander

Very clever Paul, how flexible is that flexible filler? I know that you are not going to bend the trunk of the tree much but I was wondering for other things.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham, the filler is kind of a cross between normal filler and a sealant. It's uses, as described on the tube, are for filling areas where movement occurs such as the frames of windows and doors. It's not like putty but has a latex sort of finish. When it dries on your hands it peels off rather like dry acrylic paint. If you got a tube in I'm sure it would always come in for uses round the house, and it seems to keep quite well, so long as you keep the cap on.

R

Richy C

Wow those trees are huge , very nicely done Paul , looks a fantastic dio in the making

Richy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Richy, the trees aren't finished yet - the material I used for the foliage is actually blue green so will require more paint work, possibly more scatter applied. I know it seems a lot of dio for not much model at the mo but I'm intending the trees to draw the viewer into the scene. Once there's more detail in the ground work it will begin to make more sense (I hope).

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

This diorama may take a little longer than anticipated as I've just returned from the hospital following an operation. Yes, my breast implants are looking good! (only kiddin') had a hernia op this morning which is holding me back a little bit. The upside is it does exclude me from decorating, gardening and such like for a bit.

Cheers

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hope you are up and back to normal toot sweet Paul.

Ron

F

Fenlander

Not surprised you got a hernia lugging those trees about Paul.... Seriously though, take it easy and get well soon mate.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers guys, it's not too bad just can't lift anything too heavy or do anything too strenuous. The foliage on these trees may be a bit beyond me cos it involves tearing up synthetic wire wool which may just pop the staples in my stomach. Still gonna try and do some modelling whilst I'm off work try and get these other aircraft underway.

Paul

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Paul,

Your kits will still be there in a week or so. Don't get doin' yourself an injury tryin' to get 'em done before you're better!

We're all dyin' to see how you do it but we can wait.

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
No worries Dave, I'm gonna take it easy - last thing I want to do is have to go back for the same surgery!

Thanks for the thoughts tho.

Paul