German Panzer I Ausf A (Late Version) HobbyBoss/Tristar

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Top work again Steve. As you say a little bit of artistic license is allowed. I always thought the inside of hatches were painted the same as the outside. I didn't realise they were white in the early days as well as the interior. A very interesting article. Many thanks

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I always thought the inside of hatches were painted the same as the outside.
It also depends on what the hatch is for. Crew hatches for everyday use are usually painted the same on both sides, but others may not be, and there’s always exceptions you don’t expect. An example I recently found is that the drivers’ hatches on LVT(4) Buffalos, for example, were white on the inside even though you’d expect them to be olive drab like the rest of the vehicle. Moral of the story: check your references :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Mr Jones .

Very impressive stuff, I thought about you when I watch this earlier this morning.

The way he did the right lights with the oil, and the dusting .
JR

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

As with all things there is no definitive answer just a common theme Jakko. As you know the reason they painted over the Elfenbein on the inside of the hatches, was so that the tank could not easily be seen from the air with the hatches open. This was something that was realised during the first year or so of the war. Therefore the early tanks would have come out all painted nice and nice. As this is going to be at the start of the war I will paint the drivers hatches Elfenbein , engine hatch red oxide and the gear box/transmission hatch grey green.
Looks like a cracking video JR. I will try and watch it in between the rugby this afternoon. Many thanks

Last edited:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Steve

Found this buried in my references, it might help
A 10 minute video walk round and inside a Pz I, all repainted by the museum though!
video Pz I
Nearly time for the match
Regards
Steve H

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Steve,
Again some nice progress....for some reason I thought all the interior was done :upside:

The Tristar kits I’ve built (x3 38t variants) have all been good builds, but I also noticed the clean up of seams slowed things down.

That engine looks good. Really tempting to get me one of these but just cant justify adding more kits to the stash.....he says:smiling5:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Steve Jones said:
Why do these manufacturers have a desire to put seam lines through suspension springs?

Well for one , they expect people like us to cover it up with mud and dirt but they didn't expect to encounter a Steve or a Simon or now a Paul... :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: Any room in your Taxi, John?

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steve Jones said:
Why do these manufacturers have a desire to put seam lines through suspension springs?

Well for one , they expect people like us to cover it up with mud and dirt but they didn't expect to encounter a Steve or a Simon or now a Paul... :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: Any room in your Taxi, John?

Cheers,
Richard
Yes Richard, suspect we should be full soon :smiling:
John .

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the link Steve. I had that one a while back. Its certainly in a bit of a state :smiling3:
The interior is nearly done on the hull Si. Once that's done then its all the interior on the turret to do. I should get round to painting the outside sometime near Christmas:smiling5:
I'll start painting the engine tomorrow Jim. The jury is still out on the colour. As long as its dark without any pink spots I should be okay.:smiling2:
JR/Richard - With you two around we will probably need a bus not a taxi by the end of play:smiling5::smiling2:

Last edited:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Steve missed this till now, sorry…:rolling:

Great idea to go OOB to invigorate the mojo and by the looks of it, it works.:thumb2:

The interior looks great with the painting and weathering:tongue-out:, nice work on the first track set and good luck with the second one.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Oooo...Disc Camo, another glutton for punishment.
You are a brave one Mr. Jones. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oooo...Disc Camo, another glutton for punishment.
You are a brave one Mr. Jones. Rick H.

Ooh...let's boogey on down and breakout the waist high pants and pleated shirts for a Disco Camo time. Yup you'll be a brave one trying to get into the pants and shirt. :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:.......I've got tickets for the bus.

Now back to serious talk...great restraint Steve and it still looks like you added detail. :thumb2: All looking good, tracks are smashing with just the otherside to do.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Great to have you along for the ride Fernando. Glad you like it so far
Well I keep asking everyone else to do it on their models Rick. So its only fair I had a go myself :smiling5::smiling2:
Thanks for the feedback Richard. Once the bus is full who's going to drive it back to the home?:upside::smiling5:

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hiya mate,
Well the Engine definitely looks like an engine to me! I think it looks rather nice actually.
Glad the track stayed together too:smiling4:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nicely done engine, Steve. Looks the part even if it's with artistic license. The second last picture shows you can use the engine for a robot head. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Steve
Super work on the engine
Really looks the part
Time for the greasy bit.
The fun begins
Regards
Steve H be by

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The engine's looking nice Steve. The Panther is a favourite of mine, I have quite a few in the stash.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Steve,
Keep going, all that seam work has worn you down - one of my pet hates cleaning up seams and wheels.
I know it is a bit late for your build, but if you do another as in your Panther, make a template up by laying the model on its side on a sheet of thick card and then you can get a rough idea of the shape you need to obtain for the track shape.
I have posted this one to give you an idea, this is for my Light tank and Bren carrier.
Cheers, Mike.