Gern's bug

C

CDW

Ooohhh lots of stuff..... Looks good Dave.

You realise you have a problem now ...... Nothing you do will be complete without a diorama...... Its a curse!!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks brilliant dave , the cornerwise angle works perfectly, cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I agree, it has come out really well...As the boys point out, it looks far better at an angle than the usual 'square on to the base' approach.

You have every right to be pleased...Nice one Dave.

Early night tonight mind!

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

\ said:
Early night tonight mind!Ron
We'll see. I got some melting and burning to do remember.

One thing I forgot to mention. When mixing the powder paint, I added just a tiny drop of washing up liquid to the water. It breaks down the surface tension and enables the powder to mix better.

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. I tried the burning and melting bit.

I'm too embarrassed to show how badly they worked out! The burning produces some weird shapes - from whatever bits of foam that don't turn into nasty smelly vapour, and Ron's idea of melting the surface with cellulose gives some interesting surface finishes, but probably better for larger areas rather than small rock features.

I am happy however with my first attempt at using plaster of paris and a mould. The mould I have came in a box of other scenic bits and it's apparently designed for small embankments - and I think they'll work nicely alongside a sunken path. I've ordered another designed to create rock faces which also has some small boulders. You can see from my proposed layout why I need some rock faces! This dio work is definitely addictive.

View attachment 71995

View attachment 71996

View attachment 71997

View attachment 71998

I've not decided exactly where the figures will go.

Gern

Rock size.JPG

Rocks1.JPG

Subject to change1.JPG

Subject to change2.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking better each time I look in Dave. Those rocks look just fine.....even better when you add the others, even piled up here and there, perhaps?

Also, how about cellulose spraying the base, should crater it a bit for you...Try on an off cut first mind!

You have learned the diorama No.1 rule....Be flexible, add and change as ideas come along.

'Fraid you're hooked old son!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Yeah, what he said above!!Have we got any honorary dio-builders badges left :smiling3:
No.......in any case he's well able to make his own now!!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

You're right Ron, once you get started, ideas do come to you. Painted the steps and made a couple of handrails for them. Then dug out and lined the two paths away off down the hill. The paler shapes are the rocks I cast yesterday.

View attachment 72006

Oh. I also dug out the pond(?) and cast the rocks to line it with!

View attachment 72007

Gern

Paths1.JPG

Pond1.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is great...one idea flowing into another. Add-ons too!

There's no stopping the Gern machine now. Great stuff Dave.

P

Polux

This diorama is looking better every time!!!

The handrails are great. Fantastic work Gern.

First Name
Dave
I've only seen the first two films.But I thought the first one was very entertaining.Couldn't believe how gory it was!.You could do that scene with the captured bug in a cage just before they put the cow in with it.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I thought of doing one full of blood 'cos there's a figure supplied with the kit who's trapped in the jaws; but I decided my option was much more fun!

That reminds me, I'll do some pics of him so you can see the scale difference between what I'm doing and what you saw in the film.

Besides, one animal eating another - happens every day; nothin' to write home about. Mind you, so does what's happening in my dio. You just got to figure out what it is!

Alan 45's had a couple of very imaginative thoughts but not got close yet.

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
This diorama is looking better every time!!!The handrails are great. Fantastic work Gern.
Thanks Polux. They're only a couple of pieces of the same stiff wire I used to reinforce all the joints. I wish I could remember what it is and where I got it from! It's such a useful size - stiff enough to do all the reinforcement I need, but not so stiff I can't bend it where and how I want. I think it may be a welding rod. Have to find out and get some more.

Gern

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far Gern, those steps and wall look great.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
This is great...one idea flowing into another. Add-ons too!There's no stopping the Gern machine now. Great stuff Dave.
Wish you'd stop egging me on young Ron! :smiling3:

Now I got visions of a waterfall coming off the cliff face and running into the pond an' a bridge to go over the stream! This is supposed to be a build about summat alive. I've already spent more time on what he's standing on than I spent on the beastie himself.

Anyway. I wanna pick your brains again. I've seen lots of different techniques on the 'net about painting natural rock. They all involve using washes rather than paint - if you see what I mean. I can't afford to go out and buy washes, but I've heard they're only very thinned paint anyway. I know you use tube acrylics and Vallejo Model Colour. Could I use the Vallejo to make a wash? If so, what sort of mix would I need?

Gern

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CDW

If you'll let me butt in Dave, I only use artists acrylics and a revel matt black to make washes, but it'll work with any acrylic paint.

I just get a little jar of water and add a paint brush full of colour, mix it thoroughly, and test it on a white bit of paper, you can see how dark the wash will be and a general idea of the colour. If its too light just add another brush full of colour, if you go too dark add water.

You can add all Sorts to the wash like bicarb, scatter, grit, grassy stuff etc to get a texture you require.